Best ear muffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best ear muffs

I'm wanting to buy the best ear muffs available. Any ideas?
    NRA Endowment member
    NRA Range Technical Team Advisor
    TSRA member
    NRA certified pistol coach-Retired
    NRA classified Master, F-Class mid-range
    Velocity is like a new car, always losing value
    BC is like diamonds, maintaining value forever

What do you want to use them for? E-muffs or not? Price point?
    Columbia Falls, MT
    If we don’t speak out against the infringements of today, it will weaken our ability to stop the next infringements.
    Since it took 26th Amendment to change voting age, expanding rights under 14th Amendment. Why doesn't same requirement, to restrict rights, extend to 2nd Amendment?

NRA Benefactor Life, NRA Ring of Freedom, NRA-ILA Partner in Freedom, GOA Patriot, SAF, Oath Keepers

Comment

Be sure the attenuation is at least 30 dB. Check to see if they interfere with your buttstock.
      William Waco
      First reload:
      .22 Hornet - 1956

Comment

I want to block out the sound of other shooters on the range. I'm using cans on most of my guns but invariably get some guy beside me with a muzzle brake. My hearing loss is already severe, trying to save what I have left. Also my ears ring 24/7. But they ring louder if I'm subjected to more sound than I can effectively block out. I use plugs and muffs now but need better quality sound suppression.
        NRA Endowment member
        TSRA member

Comment

I like my Peltor noise cancelling muff. YMMV, of course, but being able to hear between shots, is nice. And there's no need to burn up the batteries if no one else is around. Now, if there was a 50 with a muzzle brake nearby, I might poke a foamy in on that side under the Peltors.
          -Remote locations are cheap insurance.
          -There are two kinds of ships: Submarines and targets

Comment

I just upgraded my e-muffs to walkers, with 27NNR, about the same as low profile muffs, most e-muffs are rated from 21NNR to 24NNR. Peltor 10/110 model has 30-31NNR but it has full sized cups, low profile ear muffs run 21-26NNR, with less dead air space they have lower rating, for same construction. If you add best rated soft plugs 33NNR to best rated muffs 31NNR you get 36-38NNR (adding 5 to NNR) not 64NNR (NNR added together) .

For perceived noise reduction, I can't tell difference between 27NNR silicone plugs worn with 24NNR e-muffs and 33NNR soft plugs and 27NNR e-muffs, but 27NNR plugs and 30NNR muffs are noticeable quieter and 33NNR plugs and 30NNR muffs are noticeably even more quiet. I haven't tried to push to listen e-muff VS the auto-shutoff models, but without the .02 second activation delay, they should be better for ears.

Be wary of mfg claims, some no name china imports, claim high ratings, if the big names can't offer more than 30-34NNR, don't accept claims of 40+NNR by $10 Chinese amazon/ebay special.

Columbia Falls, MT
            If we don’t speak out against the infringements of today, it will weaken our ability to stop the next infringements.
            Since it took 26th Amendment to change voting age, expanding rights under 14th Amendment. Why doesn't same requirement, to restrict rights, extend to 2nd Amendment?

NRA Benefactor Life, NRA Ring of Freedom, NRA-ILA Partner in Freedom, GOA Patriot, SAF, Oath Keepers

Comment

Originally posted by swampshooter View Post
              I want to block out the sound of other shooters on the range. I'm using cans on most of my guns but invariably get some guy beside me with a muzzle brake. My hearing loss is already severe, trying to save what I have left. Also my ears ring 24/7. But they ring louder if I'm subjected to more sound than I can effectively block out. I use plugs and muffs now but need better quality sound suppression.
              Short of wearing full face motorcycle helmet with soft plugs under, you probably have the most protection available. Even the new $2,000 artillery ear protection, with built in coms, doesn't have higher NNR.

I would stay away from noise cancelling headphones, they just add background noise and don't offer any "extra" protection over muffs. With my tinnitus, I found NC headphones make it worse.
              Columbia Falls, MT

Comment

Couple years back I was in the same boat. Had lots of muffs but I wanted the best. Roamed around the 'net and found a site (I forget which) that claimed to be the hangout of lots of Army/Marine guys. Some 'snipers' too, oh, yeah! Anyway the site confirmed what I had already heard elsewhere and so I bought a pair for about $300. They've worked well for me and I'd recommend them. They're Swedish MSA Supreme Pro-X.
                Last edited by Plainsman; 07-06-2017, 15:45. Reason: The %@$# site cut me off and dumped most of my post again when I forgot and tried to use an em-dash.
                Homo sapiens, [ˈhōmō ˈsāpēənz] Noun. An advanced primate characterized by a large brain which it seldom uses.

Comment

I had heard about these before, hearing enhancement was reported among best, but at less than 20NNR, didn't offer as much protection. From their own tests. http://s7d9.scene7.com/is/content/mi...otect%20-%20EN

If you don't regularly replace ear cups, "Hygiene Kit" you also lose rating. They also make silicone/gel cups that seal much better.
                  Last edited by RobertMT; 07-06-2017, 17:05. Reason: fix link
                  Columbia Falls, MT

Comment

I have the silicone cups. "less than 20NNR"??? Hmmm.
                    Homo sapiens, [ˈhōmō ˈsāpēənz] Noun. An advanced primate characterized by a large brain which it seldom uses.

Comment

these work for me Zem Hearing Protection Device. I don't like the heat and sweat that is the reason I don't like normal style ear muff. These are like old Walkman's. They claim NNR 31decibels and yet I can hear my son talking to me while wearing.
                      Amazon.com : SensGard SG-31 Lightweight Hearing Protection Band NRR 31dB (Black) : Ear Protection Equipment : Sports & Outdoors
                      Good judgement comes from experience,
                      and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.
                      Mark Twain

Comment

What? What? I sorry, what?

Consider the best (highest NPR's) muffs and combine with the best ear plugs, When wearing both, the NPR's are not additive, but it will improve protection by ~ 25%. (Certain someone on hear recalls the formula to determine the combined NPR).

I remove muffs on cold range to talk, but the plugs never leave my ears from time I step out of car until I'm back in car and door is closed.

PS: A little auditory humor - Do you know what causes hearing aids? Listening to assholes!

Comment

I have a pair of 50 year old David Clark 10A green ear protectors, these are the same as the ground jet maintenance crews wear. Over the years I've rebuilt them as the plastic parts wear out. they are very rugged.

I also have a pair of Walker Quad, electronic; let me hear voice at the range.

Comment

I bought the MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-x Premium Edition. Thanks for all the help guys.
                            NRA Endowment member
                            TSRA member

Comment

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on them. I wear mine WITH the HAs on. Works a treat.

Comment

Working...
                              X