Mossberg Night Train II in 308 Win

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mossberg Night Train II in 308 Win

My wife's grandfather just asked me about a guy wanting to trade a rifle plus some cash on a snowmobile. The rifle is a .308 Mossberg Night Train II w/ the scope combo. Any input on whether this thing is junk, or what it might be worth. I've never held a lot of faith in Mossberg rifles, I like their shotguns, but I told him I'd get some info before he trades for this gun. The guy says the rifle is worth $500-$600. I'm seeing 620-730 retail depending on threaded barrel w/ muzzle brake. Actual new price would be 500-600. So, for used I'm thinking 400-450. I've not read any reviews, but he said he looked it up and they're getting good reviews for long ranging, but I'm not crazy about the no name glass sitting on it either. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Depending on how bad the guy wanted to get rid of sled and how much he wanted to work price. Myself, I wouldn't give much over $300 in trade for it, if rifle shot good, I'd think about $400, but not without shooting it.

It appears more of a "tactikool" than useful long range rifle and set up. Barrels too short, brake is oversized and too loud for 308, scope is cheap and for looks more than go.
    If we don’t speak out against the infringements of today, it will weaken our ability to stop the next infringements.
    Since it took 26th Amendment to change voting age, expanding rights under 14th Amendment. Why doesn't same requirement, to restrict rights, extend to 2nd Amendment?

NRA Benefactor Life, NRA Ring of Freedom, NRA-ILA Partner in Freedom, GOA Patriot, SAF, Oath Keepers

Comment

The scope appears to be a Barska. Supposedly $330 scope.
      • 6-24x Magnification
      • 56mm Objective Lens
      • 30mm Tube Diameter
      • 1/4 MOA Click Adjustments
      • Red/Green Illuminated MOA Reticle
      • Lockable Windage / Elevation Turrets

22" barrel is too short? For the absolute longest range shooting, maybe.............. but you really can't get more velocity past 24-26 so you don't 'give up' much, if anything.

There are apparently some discrepancies of pictures............. the places which state what brake it is say SilencerCo Saker Trifecta muzzlebrake, which is NOT the big honking arrowhead you see on Mossberg's website for the Night Train (but does not show the N.T.2).

The Saker Trifecta is a small brake, designed to go inside a silencerco suppressor (it doubles as suppressor mount).
      Click image for larger version

Name:	trifecta-muzzle-brake-1_grande.jpg?v=1487280049.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	793997

This 3-port muzzle brake is compatible with the Saker MAAD Trifecta mounting system. It offers one hand on, one hand off attachment/detachment. The 3-port design offers exceptional recoil reduction. 1/2x28 threads for 5.56, and 5/8x24 for the 7.62 version.
      As such it's s small brake,, which limits it's effectiveness, but, it's removable and your brake of choice is only $100 (or less) away.

I would probably do the deal..... but it isn't me.

Comment

I just quick check earlier, the site showed the cheaper ~$125 Barska scope, tank brake with light barrel, 22" including the brake. I might have been looking at different rifle package or they offer more than one night train. With best accuracy 5 shot group just under inch and average groups of a bit more, certainly not a precision rifle.
        If we don’t speak out against the infringements of today, it will weaken our ability to stop the next infringements.
        Since it took 26th Amendment to change voting age, expanding rights under 14th Amendment. Why doesn't same requirement, to restrict rights, extend to 2nd Amendment?

NRA Benefactor Life, NRA Ring of Freedom, NRA-ILA Partner in Freedom, GOA Patriot, SAF, Oath Keepers

Comment

It's always hard to tell, not being the person with the gun eh Robert?

Comment

Originally posted by Damannoyed View Post
            It's always hard to tell, not being the person with the gun eh Robert?
            I didn't realize it was your rifle, we were talking about, I wasn't trying to sour any deal, you had in the works, I apologize, if I did.

Comment

Not my rifle Robert,,,, I'm guessing as much as you are,, I just apparently hit a few more magazine article and webpages trying to get scope specs and brake specs for the "2" than you happened to.

Even the ones I got are questionable until confirmed.

Comment

Working...
              X