No announcement yet.

Offhand shooters raise your hands

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been a Bullseye shooter for decades. All one hand, unsupported.

Comment

I shoot offhand with rifle. I am right handed but left eye dominant. When I first learned to shoot they caught me closing my right eyes and rotating my head to get the sight picture from my left eye and made me switch. By the time I started shooting handgun I had taught myself to be able to switch eyes and could adjust my aim according to the non-dominate eye which helps with pistols, but to this day I still prefer off hand on my rifle shots. It makes bolt action interesting but I’ve adapted well.

Comment

Originally posted by Vinutz
        Thanks for responding guys- nice to see there are still some real shooters out there- nothing against bench testers- particularly if they have a good reason- but they missing out on the real fun of offhand and the true art of shooting.
        "Missed out?" No way! Many competition benchrest shooters, including myself, are former position shooters. Some of whom were nationally and internationally recognized. But age takes its toll and the body, practice becomes a chore, and the eyes lose ability to use iron sights effectively. The competitive spirit remains alive however and many things learned in position shooting are put to good use in benchrest competition. Which I see as the next step up in a career in competitive marksmanship.

Comment

I shoot my 45ACP Springfield 4" off-hand really well, quarter size target holes after several magazines at 15 yards, and my other pistols also and am working to be more proficient off-handed shooting with my DD5V1 AR-10 .308 to practice simulated hunting scenarios at the range; standing off-hand, using a collapsible bi-pod for maybe a 300 or 400 yard shots, kneeling, sitting, prone, or against an imaginary tree. I'm working on my upper body strength to support the rifle including the mounted Vortec Viper 6/24/50 scope that weights an additional 1 1/2 lbs. My bucket list has me hunting more in Wyoming and Montana over the next few years so that's what I am training and loading for; Sierra GameKing 180gr SBT for this purpose, an all game solution.
          Last edited by hotfishtacos; 12 hours ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Offfhand View Post
            "Missed out?" No way! Many competition benchrest shooters, including myself, are former position shooters. Some of whom were nationally and internationally recognized. But age takes its toll and the body, practice becomes a chore, and the eyes lose ability to use iron sights effectively. The competitive spirit remains alive however and many things learned in position shooting are put to good use in benchrest competition. Which I see as the next step up in a career in competitive marksmanship.
            I agree. A lot of experienced shooters I've known have competed in different disciplines over the years so what we see them doing today often isn't the limit of their experience. Each one teaches something different and requires a lot of practice to master

Comment

I shoot weekly at 3 different gun clubs.

Except for organized comp shoots...I never see anyone shooting rifle offhand. Only older guys seem to know how to shoot off-hand.

younger guys seem to think a larger clip is needed to get a bullseye. No wonder every year, I hear guys missing deer at 80 yards...they seem to think shooting a group from a machine rest is practice for hunting. It is a different shooting culture in the world today. Thanks to MSR, I think!
              Last edited by BEAR; 1 hour ago.

Comment

Working...
              X