Offhand shooters raise your hands

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offhand shooters raise your hands

I am a member of two gun clubs(PA-FL). I am the only person I have seen shooting offhand.I was told by a range master you are our best offhand shooter. My response was: I am the only offhand shooter-somewhat sarcastically. How many of you members of Hand Loader's Bench offhand shoot? I am curious for it seems like a dying ability. The guys at my clubs are Stevie Sniper wannabes-which is fine(and many are talented). However, why the lack of offhand shooters- which is critical for hunting,some competitions(few), SHTF,challenge and out right fun ?
    Vinutz pronounced Vinootz - NRA Life Member

REGISTRATION LEADS TO CONFISCATION !!!

Larger majority of my shooting is done off the bench. Mainly because I am looking for as accurate a load and rifle as I can make it.
    I love very small groups so I shoot of the bench.
    I am not a sniper or "operator". I am Marine infantry, Recon and former Federal Officer. So no need/desire for wananbe.
    "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

I shoot off the bench to test a load, be sure a rifle is sited in correctly. If I am shooting a rifle intended for hunting I always end the day with a couple magazines from the off hand position. It makes me crazy when I see someone shoot off hand and bring the rifle down from their shoulder to work the bolt or lever.

Comment

I shoot and practice off hand with 22 and hunting guns

Comment

I shot NRA Rifle Silhouettes for years.... all shooting is done from the Off-hand position, no sling or support allowed..... with High Power, we were shooting out to 500 meters....

It makes you work for the shot.

Haven't done any in a few years..... best get back into it once the shoulder heals up.
          "I am, therefore I\'ll Think."- John Galt "Atlas Shrugged"

"Arguing with a Marine is like wrestling with a Pig. Everyone gets dirty, but the Pig loves it."

Comment

Do you know if offhand shooters use heavier or lighter trigger pulls on average? Been shooting various hunting rifles with factory trigger settings(4lbs plus) .I have been finding it very challenging. At first I was shooting 8 in groups at 50 yards(extremely humbling). Now on a good day get 4-6" and better(not all groups) at 200 yds.- depending which rifle I use. Getting better at calling shots too. I can't even imagine shooting 500yards offhand-it is difficult reducing wobble zone at 200 and my eyes are not getting any better at age 57.

Comment

For offhand I prefer a lighter 2-4 lb trigger pull. I don't want lighter nor heavier.
              My bench shooting rifles are 2 or lighter.
              "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

Originally posted by Vinutz View Post
                Do you know if offhand shooters use heavier or lighter trigger pulls on average?
                Like some of the others have mentioned, silhouette and high power are good for honing off hand shooting skills. For silhouette, the min trigger pull weight for hunter class rifles is 2lbs and that's plenty low enough to shoot well. I also like a 2 stage triggers better than single stage for offhand.

Comment

Thank you gentlemen for your input. I'll start out adjusting Kimber,Browning(both 325wsm),Remm700,Mannlicher(30-06) down to 3lbs. my 30-30's I leave at 4. Your replies helped me to realize that I can go down. Appreciate all of your help

Comment

Best rest I get hunting is likely to Involve my elbow propped on my thigh.

I work ammo from a rest, not much else.

Comment

I shoot rifles offhand when my back allows it. I shoot pistols offhand always - offhand pistol to me means one hand unsupported.

Comment

I shoot a lot of offhand in competition. I am at least mediocre. I shoot in an internet postal league on rimfirecentral dot com. Rules are simple and it is all on the honor system.

I decided to pillar bed my Kimber 82G rifle 2 months ago and haven't finished it yet and it is keeping me out of the matches.
                        Reloader since 1969.

Comment

Do a fair amount of aff hand iron sight rifle shooting. It is a lot of fun.

Comment

When I shot smallbore, I usually did better offhand than prone. Weird but true.
                            Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly that God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ. Acts 2:36

Certified NRA Pistol and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Comment

All of our muzzleloader Rendezvous shooting is off-hand out to 100 yards at some events. Open sights,no peeps allowed.
                              "We failed, but in the good providence of God apparent failure often proves a blessing." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Working...
                              X