Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DarkShooter
    replied
    I shot a lot of 16 yard trap (known as Lewis Class here) over the years with an 870 TC. It’s the only trap gun I own to this day.

I love the sport but it played hell with my rifle shooting. After I retire I’d like to get back into it.

Leave a comment:

• DesertMarine
    replied
    Thanks. While a Federal Officer we carried Model 12 Trench guns. Shot a lot of 00 and 00 Mag loads, plus #8 birdshot.
    Really like them, but have never gotten one. Don't do hardly any shotgun shooting anymore.

Leave a comment:

• jackson1
    replied
    DesertMarine, You want to look a Model 12 Y model. They sell at a discount to the original Model 12. I have one and like it.

Leave a comment:

• DesertMarine
    replied
    I have shot 870s and 1100s, great shotguns but I can't hit broadside of a barn with them.
    Now a Winchester Model 12, love it. Haven't found one in the condition and price that I am willing to pay.
    Model 12 fits me better than Rems.

Leave a comment:

• Snuffy
    replied
    Tucker has shot Trap in 4H and now a school league for the past 5 years he has also shot ATA for the last 3 years. We haven’t been very active in the ATA this year but last year he had a 89.88 singles avg and a 89.33 handicap avg. This year he is at a 92 singles avg, but with only 100 registered targets so far. He shoots a Benelli Super Sport. He also started out with a Winchester 1300, like OzarkEd. We got him the Benelli about 3 years ago after trying a lot of different guns. The Benelli, he said felt better than any other he tried. Me on the other hand, I coach his school league team, so I figured it would help my coaching if I actually did a little shooting in competition myself. I hope it makes him step up his game as well. There is no way he is gonna let me out shoot him. He even accused me of secretly practicing while he was in school, after he saw my scores the other day.

jackson1, the 870’s and 1100’s are still popular in our youth league. As a matter of fact the 1100’s are the gun of choice for the kids that want to step up from what ever gun they started out with.

Leave a comment:

• jackson1
    replied
    Snuffy, nothing wrong with your gun choice. Back in the 70's when I started, 870's and 1100's were the most common guns on the racks at all the clubs in my area. You and your son are doing well with yours. For over and under's the Citori is an excellent choice.

Leave a comment:

• Ozark Ed
    replied
    Originally posted by Snuffy View Post
    I’ve looked at all the different O/U’s. My 870 with the Carlson’s extended full choke, is about as far as I want to be invested in my Trap shooting career at this point.
    Coward . I started with a Winchester 1300. Upgraded to a Beretta 391. Upgraded to a Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon. Still have the 686 but couldn't pass up on a mid 1980's Winchester 101 when a club member told me he was selling it. First time I shot the 101 in a league I scored a 49. Worth every penny.

Leave a comment:

• ghrit
    replied
    Originally posted by Snuffy View Post
    I’ve looked at all the different O/U’s. My 870 with the Carlson’s extended full choke, is about as far as I want to be invested in my Trap shooting career at this point.
    Understood. I started with an 870, still have it, standard chokes. It's a different style of shooting, but birds break either way.

Leave a comment:

• Snuffy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DesertMarine
    replied
    Beretta 686 is a great shotgun. Been shooting one for several years, though not too active in the last few years. We had a bad 10 yr drought that ended about 5 years ago, that did a number on our wild bird populations.

Leave a comment:

• deaddog
    replied
    When you get serious like four time Olympic champ Kim Rhode, Perazzi will be waiting.

Leave a comment:

• ghrit
    replied
    I shot trap in a local league for a number of years and, with a LOT of help, ran a couple shoots. It is addictive, if not for busting clay, then for the social aspects. You are off to a good start at 43 and Tucker is doing very well at 48. The feeling of fun gets intense the first time you run clean.

Trap shooters are pretty friendly overall, and most are more than willing to let you handle their guns. Take 'em up on their offers until you find one that you like; fit is everything. A lot of shooters swear by Beretta and Browning. I swear by my box stock Browning, bought my Citori used, mostly because (even tho' it was a GREAT deal) when I first shouldered it, it snuggled in like it was home. All the rest I tried, Beretta, Ruger, and others including high end Franchi guns did not fit the way Browning does. Yeah, I'm prejudiced.

Leave a comment:

• olyeller
    replied
    Originally posted by Ozark Ed View Post
    Have you looked at Beretta O/Us yet?

That'll be Tucker's Christmas present.

Dang it tho, you live just a little too far away, or I'd come show you how to hit a moving target. You wasted 7 shells. Back when I went to school (yeah we had them then) that would have been an 86 test score, not enough for the Honor Roll

Leave a comment:

• Ozark Ed
    replied
    Have you looked at Beretta O/Us yet?

Leave a comment:

• jackson1
    replied
    Snuffy, sounds like great fun. I shoot trap, skeet, and sporting clays just for fun. Any form of competitive shooting can become a rabbit hole. Several of my friends regularly compete in both trap and skeet. I do not. Shooting long range benchrest is more competition than I need. Shoot on average 3 to 4 times a week. I find skeet to be a more social game, while still rather new to it, I enjoy it more. Obsessing over a lost target no longer has any appeal for me. Yesterday spent the morning unloading a semi load of targets at my club. See where it goes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X