Special day at the range.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special day at the range.

A year ago a good friend of mine introduced me to his one of his relatives. A golfer and California transplant, that came to the club to shoot a couple of rounds of trap with his uncle. We hit it off and spend a couple days per week shooting clay targets. Last fall he shot his first clean round of trap and shortly there after 50 straight. Went from me coaching him to him coaching me. Late last winter he learned the game of skeet. Recently, I began bringing many of my shotguns to the club for him to shoot. It's the nut behind the butt and not the guns, because they all shoot beautifully for him. Jim has been knocking on the door of the prefect skeet round for several weeks. My suggestion was to go out and shoot the stations that he was struggling with, he didn't listen. After the third station, I began treating him like a baseball pitcher working on a no hitter, not saying a word but mentally pulling for him. He is a very talkative Italian, who should pay for an extra round per day
    (due to birds set off with his talking). He did it, a perfect score and I couldn't be happier for him. Good shooting Jim. He backed it up with a 24.

Now on to some 5 stand and sporting clays. This fall get him on a dove field. You want the addiction to be deeply set
    If it weren't for double standards, liberals would have no standards at all.

"Ammo and really good friends are hard to find in a gunfight so I bring them with me" E. J. Owens

Comment

Jim wants to get into sporting clays. In a time in my life when I really needed it, he makes shooting fun again. Going to take him duck, pheasant, and grouse hunting. Saturday afternoon he backed it up with another perfect score, plus a 24. For 98 out of 100 targets. Jim then switched to a 20 gauge auto loader and his scores dropped. It was fun and all the guys at the club really enjoy him and his antics.

Comment

Great shooting for sure, best for me at Skeet is a 21, was working on a 23 then missed both at station 8
        "We failed, but in the good providence of God apparent failure often proves a blessing." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Despite a very well-skilled trainer buddy doing his very best I have never ever hit two clay targets in a row. No matter the shotgun/choke/shell of choice. I have hunted dove and never had a legitimate flying dove fall to my shooting. Never. Strangely enough I can kill geese all day long.

My Shotgun buddy was named Kyle, lived in Southern California, and he could kill ducks doves geese clays at any distance. Used flour as his buffer. A super nice guy.

He patted me on the back and suggested maybe I should find another hobby.

Comment

The hardest part of learning to be a good wingshooter is realizing why you missed. It's not like shooting paper where you can see where the shot went. Some of the top contenders for reasons are aiming at the target, stopping the gun, lifting off the gun to see if you hit it. You have to lead the target whether you shoot sustained lead or swing through, and you have to follow through (maintain your swing all the way past pulling the trigger). Once you get the mechanics down you can fiddle around with hold points, gun fit, and a whole plethora of other fine tuning tricks. Other than that it's so easy a trained monkey can do it.
            If it weren't for double standards, liberals would have no standards at all.

"Ammo and really good friends are hard to find in a gunfight so I bring them with me" E. J. Owens

Comment

Working...
            X