Rheumatoid Arthritis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rheumatoid Arthritis

I got it. It sucks. Been on Methotrexate and Prednisone for awhile. Rheumy is putting me on Enbrel end of this month.
    Any other Rheumatoid Warriors here?
    The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone, somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don\'t feel like walking over there to do it."

Sorry to hear what you are going thru. That Prednisone is sometimes as nasty as what you take it for.
    FYI... as you know I don't know much about forums, but when I tried to Quick Reply to you it didn't function. Had to use the regular reply.
    Hope you get goood results... let us know.
    Enjoying life one day at a time. Every sunrise is a great day for me.

Comment

The Prednisone is only 10mg and I am tapering off it. But yup...it does cause insomnia etc. I wont miss it
      Hardest thing for me is I just cannot relearn to reload sitting down. I have reloaded standing up all my life. So my sessions only last about 45 minutes at a time.
      The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone, somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don\'t feel like walking over there to do it."

Comment

I have heard from some people when they cut out milk and dairy products they had great improvements.
        Another stated that they cut out beef and that helped a bunch.
        Try something like that for a month and see if symptoms improve.
        A lot of joint pain and swelling can be linked to a food allergy.

I would hate to give up my milk :sad:

I am sure you have tried cutting out something in the diet.

Comment

I read a bunch of food products causing inflammation. I am on chemotherapy for it right now though and I don't eat anything that even remotely causes inflammation. Rheumatoid Arthritis gets confused with Arthritis quite often.
          Rheumatoid Arthritis goes after your arteries, heart, organs and yes your joints. I had a flare the other day and it shut down my vocal cords.
          Methotrexate is the Chemo drug.

Comment

Sorry to hear that Sarge.
            Wish i could help..My prayers go out to you.

Comment

Medicine and Doctors help.
              Prayers heal.
              I am stubborn and too stupid to be anything other than tough as nails.
              Thank you for your prayer.

I feel bad for those that have it worse than I. The lil kids and such. Mine is going into remission I am told.

Comment

Sarge, One of my goog friends has this disease. He's only 50 and has been battling it for 10 years already. His blood levels were out of kilter for a while on the methotrxate last winter and he had to take a break for a couple of months. His wife had to dress him for work in the mornings, he doesn't have enough grip to pull up his socks, and go out and start the car as he couldn't grip the keys hard enough to turn the ignition switch. Once he got rolling, an hour commute to work, he'd hold alternating hands over the defroster vents. By the time he got to work he could operate his computer etc. It's a terribly debilitating disease. You have my sympathy. I have fairly severe osteo arthritis but it's nothing compared to rheumatoid. RD
                Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Comment

So many people have it much worse than I. But having it at any level is a humbling experience.
                  I have learned this is one of the least understood diseases. Very few people know about it. I have had folks tell me they have Rheumatoid Arthritis in their knee and take Advil and drink Green Tea.
                  If they went blind, lost their voice and could not move while they suffer stroke after stroke because their arteries are slammed shut from inflammation.......then they can tell me about Advil and Green Tea
                  You have to find a Rheumatologist who knows what the hell is going on. 50% of them are clueless about the disease and how to treat it. Took me 3 Rheumies before I found one who knew what it was and how to treat it. We have an epidemic with men around 50 years old in this country right now. RA is up 500%. Most primary care Doc's diagnose some type of arthritis and prescribe all kinds of Rx. None of course treat the disease and it progresses.Slow painful death.
                  Pfizer just passed the FDA board with a new RA drug that is getting much better results than Methotrexate. So there is work going on.
                  I am curios if your friend is taking any of the new Bio's? The idea is to get off the Methotrexate and just be on Enbrel (or the others).....many Doctors do not know how to treat this. If he is not on a Bio then he needs to find a Doc that knows about his disease.

Comment

Hi Sarge,
                    I know from personal experience that our FDA is extremely cautious and probably for good reason.
                    However, there are other countries that might be far ahead in working with RA.
                    Best place to check is the medical journals of the more advanced countries, Israel, UK, Holland, Japan, etc.

I know a friend that found a drug approved for his disease in another country. He was able to get a friend who was with an airline to pick it up for him.

I believe in leaving no stone unturned while looking for solutions, tenacity most often pay off.
                    Enjoying life one day at a time. Every sunrise is a great day for me.

Comment

You are right on the money friend. The UK is far advanced than us. They recognized RA years ago. I get most of my info to discuss with my Doctor from the UK and he travels to seminars there.

Comment

Evening "Only", About 20 yrs ago Readers Digest ran an article about a doctor who was cured of crippling arthritis. He ran a diet elimination till he found that the Nightshade family (potatoes/tomatoes/egg plant/ and one more ? were the culprits. He was completely healed and did a study on a thousand more patients. Some were healed but most were only slightly better/some showed no response. IMO we are poisoning ourselves with our processed foods, additives, pesticides, herbicides, chem fertilizers, etc. Will be praying for your recovery "Sarge" and hope you can find a way for adequate meds in the meantime.

Comment

Thank you for your prayers. I pray for all inflicted with this everyday.
                          I do not drink cokes/alcohol etc. I eat nothing processed and no sugars. I agree. We eat garbage. Wonder why there is a 500% increase in this disease? You hit the nail on the head.

Comment

Sarge,
                            I been treated for RA since 1999.

Every Saturday night I would take 8-10 methotrexate. I am a person that did not tolerate it well. I would be sick most every Sunday. We tried several different anti nausea meds and nothing helped. The Docs, didn't want me on anything else since it was knocking the RA down pretty well.

If not for the methotrexate, I would have been in a wheel chair some years ago. This past Feb all of a sudden I flared up and had some really bad swelling and sever pain. We rode it out for a bit because I always seem to flare in late winter early spring. Well things didn't get better so my Doc switched me to Leflunomide and 5 mg prednisone.

I am back to where I was last fall...but it was a long painful Spring and summer. I will be off the prednisone in a few more weeks and see how the Leflunomide will do on its own.

I know what you are going through and believe me, I sympathize.

For those who do not know RA, it doesn't just make your joints hurt, it is inflammation throughout your entire system and can take out any of your organs.

I have COPD as a direct result of mine progressing so quickly. I went from jogging everywhere I went to just barely being able to put weight on my feet and being out of breath in less than 9 months.
                            I did smoke which, of course, hastened what was going on.

I watched my mom bend and distort in all her joints for years until the last 5 years of her life , she was completely bed ridden.

I was , needless to say, pretty taken aback at my diagnosis. I watched what happened to my mom and then the lung guys told me within 5 years I would be on O2 and within 10 need a new lung to survive.

After the initial depression...I decided I was not going down without a fight. The first thing I did was take the Drs' advice. I smoked my last smoke 7:30 PM , April 16th, 1999. I went on the meds they told me to go on and tried my best to have a positive attitude. Like I said...that was 1999. I am still going (slowly) without the O2 and hope to for a few more years.

I guess what I am saying is follow Dr's orders and do what you can to eat healthy. One old doc told me " the more you do , the longer you will be able to do more".

Try to understand all the folks that will explain their "arthritis" to you when they find out you have RA. If they only knew what it was really like. LOL

Be prepared to catch whatever bug is going around. The methotrexate knocks down your immune system (that is what puts the RA in remission). Try to stay positive and know things will be a lot worse without it.

Be willing to accept that as time goes on, you will not be able to do what you once did, even though you are young at heart...lol

Most important...don't give in to it....

Wow that was long winded....LOL

Have a good 'un, Guy
                            Support our troops....they are someone\'s kids.

Remember..."No matter where you go,~ there you are!"

Comment

Thank you CyberGuy for sharing that. It is a battle only made worse by the lack of knowledge about this disease. More and more of us out there though and they have come a really long way in just the past few years.
                              Do they have you on any Bio's? Enbrel or anything? I know that Leflunomide is another DMARD like Methotrexate. Significant success with combo of DMARDS and Bio's for sure. Many who had gut issues with the Methotrexate do really well with injecting it versus swallowing it. Curious of they offered injectable MX for you?
                              Hell no I am long way from letting this crap beat me down. I get up in the morning and stretch. Hurts like hell. But feels much better a few minutes later. The fatigue kicks me in the butt. I take B12 and I have overcome the fatigue pretty much.
                              I wear my Doctor out every appointment I have with him and he respects me researching and working this thing. We are a team.
                              Am curious why your not on a Bio though?

Comment

Working...
                              X