No announcement yet.

Rheumatoid Arthritis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have it in a severe way also, so I literally feel the pain. It stopped me from most everything I loved until I got the VA out of my RA care. Afterwards I found out that that men get RA in a far more aggressive manner than the ladies. So my story is similar to the one told by Rockydog. I was put on Enbrel and literally within two days I had my life back, no more sitting all day with a computer in my lap and a service dog doing my bidding. I'm out shooting, driving and a hosts of other activities so go aggressive in the treatment. There is such a change with the medicine that I would/will become a criminal just to keep the med's in my arsenal that I can't convey the conviction of that statement. I hope the best for you as I went from working to disabled within 2 1/2 yrs from the RA and back to living with one shot in the leg within 48 hrs and the common sense of a "good" rheumatologist.

Comment

Aint no walk in the park for sure....but we can live a decent normal life.....
      must have a good Doc to work with you is paramount.
      The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone, somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don\'t feel like walking over there to do it."

Comment

Guess I should update. I was put on humera. I think I mentioned this in another post somewhere.
        For the most part......my RA is suppressed most days. Some days things can flare up.
        All in all, I am doing awesome compared to some poor folks out there!
        TCG
        Support our troops....they are someone\'s kids.

Remember..."No matter where you go,~ there you are!"

Comment

Tuning the meds/diet is key.
          I am on just Methotrexate. My Doctor "quit" over ObamaCare and just does consulting now so I am breaking in a new Rheumy.
          I had pneumonia last week and the Dr. gave me 50mg Prednisone a day for 5 days. I think it reset my Methotrexate clock.....because I feel great the past few days. No pain at all. Cleared up the pneumonia also

My fear is running out of Methotrexate. No way to "stockpile".....I would be screwed. I stockpiled a few thousand mg of Prednisone. But live Rx to Rx on Methotrexate. Slightest wrinkle in the supply chain and I am sunk.
          The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone, somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don\'t feel like walking over there to do it."

Comment

The Only Sarge wrote:
            My fear is running out of Methotrexate. No way to "stockpile".....I would be screwed.
            PM me if you dare.

Comment

I am not personally a victim of RA, but I've lived with it for over 20 years. My wife was diagnosed at 38 or 39 and she's 60 now. Sarge, and you guys who have been diagnosed with this insidious disease you are in our prayers.

My wife does quite well. I know she is on Methetrexate and some other pills but I don't recall what. Her big lifesaver has been Humira, which she has been blessed to be able to get for about 4 years. If it were not for Humira she would be in a wheel chair by now. The firs 10-15 years or so the "regular" RA drugs kept her going. After that...it was getting rough. She has learned that exercise, not pumping iron or running, her thing is gardening, helps immensely. Diet does not appear to have much effect on hers.

The Humira suppresses the immune system, which is what RA is, it is your immune system attacking your body. We are now more in fear of infections, influenza, pneumonia, strep and staph than the RA.

For those unfamiliar with it, RA is truly insidious. Most folks just don't understand, this person looks fine...it can't be that bad...has to be in their head. No, such is not the case. I have some osteo and just plain old wear but it cannot compare to what this disease does to a person. It's like any other dread disease in that the only one effected is not just the victim. As a spouse there is almost nothing you can do. Comfort measures. I am a bit prone to worry and when the effects of my wife's RA were becoming evident I worried for her....and was powerless to do a diddly darn thing. Not to be flip, but the effects of worry are like the effects of recoil, accumulative. Over several years I eventually worried myself into mild depression. My doctor recognized it and being familiar with both of us she knew what was going on, we nipped it in the bud and I'm fine now....but you don't stop worrying.

Sarge, and you other guys, hang in there and God love you.
              "Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools". Romans 1:22

"Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it"

NRA Benefactor,

Comment

It is a full time disease. No breaks.
                They are making progress with treatments. I cannot imagine having this 40-50 years ago. Golden Powder and massive doses of aspirin.
                The newest family of drugs show significant promise. I do believe the education of our Doctors for RA has significantly improved. They are much more aware and can treat holistically versus just treating symptoms.
                It is our job as patience to educate our Doctors also......never just take a Rx with no questions....

Comment

Sarge, sorry to read about your RA. Can't say that I have experienced it, but have seen the effects of the methotrexate. As a young girl my daughter went through treatments for an auto-immune disease. The treatment was 10mg daily of methotrexate with monthly "bursts" of 600mg by IV.

I wish you well, Sarge. Prayers with you.
                  "If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington

NRA Endowment Member

Comment

Well thank you.

I would be remiss if I didnt share an excellent resource for those with RA.
                    http://rawarrior.com/

Comment

I'm very, very fortunate in that I don't have RA, my wife doesn't, and we don't have a family history of it. OTOH, menfolk in my family tend to drop dead of heart attacks in their mid to late 50s. They were all smokers, some heavy smokers, so that should make a difference for me. I've already outlived my father and my maternal grandfather, dead at 56 and 59 respectively.
                      "The fact that guns can kill another human being is the whole point. That\'s why they are so darn good at deterring violent criminals". Ann Coulter

Comment

Charley wrote:
                        I'm very, very fortunate in that I don't have RA, my wife doesn't, and we don't have a family history of it. OTOH, menfolk in my family tend to drop dead of heart attacks in their mid to late 50s. They were all smokers, some heavy smokers, so that should make a difference for me. I've already outlived my father and my maternal grandfather, dead at 56 and 59 respectively.
                        Dang it man, that sounds like my mothers family all dead from heart attacks/strokes/cancer before 60. My mother made it to 73 and out of 3 siblings and 15 cousins, me and a girl cousin are the only ones who haven't experienced one of those mentioned yet. Ironically we are the oldest of all of them. Think it's because I vent my aggression thru firepower? :confused:

Comment

Your a man of few words

Comment

The Only Sarge wrote:
                            Your a man of few words
                            I posted a URL, which I guess is no no since it didn't show!

ETA: will erase the post since it did not show. Have e-mailed myself and then posted the link--works that way sometimes.
                            Support our troops....they are someone\'s kids.

Remember..."No matter where you go,~ there you are!"

Comment

Sarge,
                              My Grandmother was afflicted with RA it is or can be pretty bad in the later years of life, if not treated properly. She died at 95 in 2003 a bit before the meds that are available now, but it was much to late for her by then in any case. I sure hope you can find a medication or a combination that works for you.
                              Best,
                              Ed
                              "who can afford so to cover his country with troops for its defense as that 10,000 men descending from the clouds might not in many places do an infinite deal of mischief before a force could be brought together to repel them?"
                              Franklin

Comment

The Only Sarge, get a load of this. I went for my yearly VA physical and asked about the RA lung fibrosis I have. Now understand I have never smoked a day in my life so when the doc told me to consider starting to smoke I about fell out! So after checking this quackery out, I found out it's legit. So I'm thinking about cigars or waiting for medical marijuana because cigarettes just stink. Do you have any other RA related issues besides the joints? :stoner:

Comment

Working...
                                X