Rheumatoid Arthritis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fatman wrote:
    The Only Sarge, get a load of this. I went for my yearly VA physical and asked about the RA lung fibrosis I have. Now understand I have never smoked a day in my life so when the doc told me to consider starting to smoke I about fell out! So after checking this quackery out, I found out it's legit. So I'm thinking about cigars or waiting for medical marijuana because cigarettes just stink. Do you have any other RA related issues besides the joints? :stoner:
    Doctors kept telling both my Grandpa's to stop smoking. They both lived till almost 100.l

Oh my RA just snuck up on me all of a sudden. One night I just woke up totally frozen stiff and having strokes. The arteries in my neck had swollen shut. I mean that quick.
    Took 4 doctors and 2 months to finally diagnose RA. I was treated for Lyme Disease for awhile. Polymyalgia for awhile. Lots of Prednisone and pain killers. It was tough.
    Then finally I went to see a Rheumatologist and he diagnosed me with RA. Chemo (Methotrexate) and Prednisone and I was good. Now just Methotrexate alone keeps me in pretty good shape. I have a "flair" once or twice a year. It attacked mainly my left elbow and both shoulders...but also my eyes and liver.

Still good looking son of a gun though
    The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone, somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don\'t feel like walking over there to do it."

Comment

Dad gum, that sounds tough for a guy, waking up frozen, sounds like you were lucky to wake up. Had you kicked off they probably would have said you died from a heart attack. Some of this stuff is hereditary, I wonder about RA?
      Ed
      "who can afford so to cover his country with troops for its defense as that 10,000 men descending from the clouds might not in many places do an infinite deal of mischief before a force could be brought together to repel them?"
      Franklin

Comment

Sarge, good looking?

But I'm glad you made it because the alternative sucks!

Comment

Rapier wrote:
          Dad gum, that sounds tough for a guy, waking up frozen, sounds like you were lucky to wake up. Had you kicked off they probably would have said you died from a heart attack. Some of this stuff is hereditary, I wonder about RA?
          Ed
          "They" dont know where or why folks get it.
          I am told lots of folks do die from it never being diagnosed. Cause of death would be stroke, heart attack etc. and not the true cause of death being RA.
          The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone, somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don\'t feel like walking over there to do it."

Comment

Fatman wrote:
            Sarge, good looking?

But I'm glad you made it because the alternative sucks!
            Guilty as charged.

Comment

More prayers coming your way Sarge. All the best to you.

Comment

Well thank you Joe. Prayer is the greatest healer of all.

Comment

I know this is an older post,not sure if anybody will see this. To all of you who have any form of an autoimmune disease i feel your pain. After 2 years of testing and being treated for everything from Lyme disease to meningitis I was finally diagnosed with an autoimmune disease. It is hard for people who don't have it to understand the pain and fatigue involved.

Comment

I couldn't agree more, I was finally diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis ayear ago I went through the same torment. Doctors treated me for everything under the sun. Now Im on humeria, its no miracle cure. But Ihope by now your medical issues have gotten better.

Comment

Since this thread started let me relate my wife's experience over the last 6 months. In July she was diagnosed with a brain tumor. Turned out to be Non-Hodgkins lymphoma. 6 hour surgery, 6 weeks recovery, 19 days of radiation treatments and now MRI's and PET scans every three months. No one has, will or can definitively point their finger at Humira but she has been taken off it, permanently and I doubt you could get her to take any biologic now. The lymphoma warnings about Humira are not put there for our entertainment. My wife isn't bitter nor am I, she had 5 good years by using it. However, if we knew then what we know now she never would have used it.
                      "Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools". Romans 1:22

"Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it"

NRA Benefactor,

Comment

I appreciate your advice, and very sorry to hear of your wife's condition hope only the best for you both. I thought a long time about going on Humira, 5 years ago I started experiencing pain in my right hip after x-rays I was diagnosed with slight arthritis, my condition rapidly got worse within 8 months with severe pain in both hips the right ball of my femur became completely degraded and the inflammation made the pain and numbness in my hands useless. After one hip replacement and while waiting to replace the other my 90 year old mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's she is deaf and is in the onset of monocular degeneration. Humeria has allowed me to properly take care of my mother and to get back to my love of hand loading.

Comment

Powder, it's a tough call. Everyone has to do what they believe is best for them. In my wife's case had she not gone on Humira I am convinced she would have been in a wheel chair in another year or two. If one read the possible side effects of any drug it would be a tough call. How many millions all over the world are on Humira and will never have any problems...no one can know. It definitely has its place and apparently, unfortunately, it was our luck of the draw. The good news is that Tuesday and Wednesday we were in St. Louis at the Siteman Cancer Center and her MRI and PET scan were both clean as was her blood work. All the "ologists" were pleased with her recovery and progress. We aren't out of the woods completely but do believe we're on the right trail.
                          "Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools". Romans 1:22

"Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it"

NRA Benefactor,

Comment

It is tough to be sick yourself, but in many ways it is worse when the wife is ill and you can only watch. Even though you help, in the end you are really left to watch.
                            Ed
                            "who can afford so to cover his country with troops for its defense as that 10,000 men descending from the clouds might not in many places do an infinite deal of mischief before a force could be brought together to repel them?"
                            Franklin

Comment

I was diagnosed with RA two years ago, I went almost ten years with doctors saying I had chronse disease, and some of the meds they gave me for that fed the RA. I know how you feel, already had three heart attacks. My joints will freeze up especially my fingers and toes. Diabetic also so I get wiped out easily. Add my C.O.P.D. on top of that and I do what I can when I can, but the best thing is to keep doing. I know sometimes just going from bed to the bathroom and back is a chore, but put it in your mind to do some every day. RA is an auto immune disease, your immune system is fighting it's self, good diet helps a bit, and exercise every day.
                              All it takes to allow evil to continue is for one good man to do nothing.

Rangers lead the way!
                              SUA SPONTE

Comment

I also was diagnosed with RA a couple years ago and saw a Rhuematologist whom put me on methotrexate and folic acid to counter the former , been doing okay but the finger and knee pain can get on your nerves , esp. when handloading , gotta stop and take a few breaks , getting old does have its draw backs , but the experiences - ohh the experiences we have .

Comment

Working...
                                X