No announcement yet.

Adapting to vision failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

70 was the start of that downhill slope. fearing the worse at 80!!!!

left eye has retina pucker or the better known name, epiretinal membrane, cellophane maculopathy. Also get color flashs in that eye.

at 73 my balance started to go,fast, so now taking mega doses of D3.

But we need to be thankful for what we can do. I wader for 6 hours yesterday in 39oF water, trout fishing with flies. caught 10 and didn't fall more than a few rocky stumbles....life is still good....just more interesting. in swift 28" fast water with lots of big rocks...one moves very slowly with a wading staff ! LOL

Comment

Bear, Oh that I could have your attitude in 25 years. Your determination amazes me. RD
      Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Et Canis Manducare Canis Mundi

Comment

I'm diabetic but so far only pills. No insulin. Had cataract surgery on both eyes and things looked pretty good then I started getting double vision. Kind of freaked me out as I first noticed it while on a 1,500 mile trip. Had to finish the ast 1,300 miles alternating with one eye closed. Now I have to wear special glasses that they call prismatic although they're perfectly smooth lenses. No matter, they work. I do have to take those glasses off to see iron sights, rifle or pistol and looking through a scope? Nope! I have to take the glasses off to shoot with a scope. A royal PITA!
        Paul B.

Comment

Like it Bear never give up, "A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt feeling sorry for it's self" D.H.L. Always look forward to the next cast.
          Mtman714; A man can do no better then to leave a good garden patch. Thomas Jefferson

Comment

About 20 years ago I was told I had cataracts but not ready to take out. Finally ready last year, took them out.
            Dr gave me two eyecups to wear for the first few days. Next day after surgery on left eye I tried the smaller eyecup and in process touched the eye. Lense jiggled like Jello (they have gel in them).
            Told the Dr about it, he checked it and said it was ok. My regular eye doctor also checked it said it was ok.
            But now I need prism in left eye and see flares in the bottom of the eye from bright reflections of light. See some double from left eye.
            No problems with the right eye.
            Might be moving to Albuquerque, if I do will recheck it again or still go and have them checked if I don't move. Albuquerque 280 miles from where I live.
            Oh yes, I am 77 now and also have diabetes. Cataracts started before diabetes.
            Last edited by DesertMarine; 05-17-2019, 10:03. Reason: More info.
            "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

Man oh man, we're all a bunch of blind old men around here, huh?
              Remember, the last thing a man wants to do is the last thing he does.

Comment

Put a pretty woman in front of me and my vision improves at least 50%.
                Getting old but not dead yet.

Comment

DM, If you are seeing flashes of light in your eyes you need to see a doctor ASAP. It can be symptoms of two things, a retinal tear, and, If I can describe it correctly, the rupture of the little "sack" that holds fluid that transfers the impulses from your retina to the optic nerve. I had the latter and had flashes and a bad floater for about 6 months. The floater is still there a couple of years later but is mostly ignored now. RD
                  Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Comment

The flash that I get is from reflections of light at the bottom of the eye. Does that sound similiar?
                    Guess should clarify better. If there is reflection from a shiny surface and I look at it, the flash or star effect is in the bottom left part of the eye.

Comment

Nope. Whole different problem I guess. Mine was like flashes of lightning in the edges of my when I turned my head. Distracting as hell. When it first happened the eye doctor had me come in immediately to get it checked out due to the similarity of the symptoms to a detached retina. The floater is from a piece of tissue that's loose in my eye. One in a while I'll be swatting at a mosquito that's flying around my face, only to discover that it's the floater. Certain light conditions or backgrounds tend to make it more visible. The effects of getting older take many different paths. I'm just starting to expect them now. RD

Comment

Got the same thing Rocky. Can't hunt ducks any more...I look up and see flocks coming in all the time.

Ears are only slightly better LOL

Comment

I probably would not hear the ducks coming in.

Comment

Late to the party, I know, but yes, I'm dealing with these issues, too, though for different reasons. Strongly right-handed and right eye dominant. Had to go out of the country for a while and came home to some serious medical issues. Lost both kidneys, 90% of my heart, and the vision in my right eye. Now, it's like someone smeared vaseline over my right eye. Two years recovering, 100 lbs lighter and weaker, I'm just returning to shooting and carry. Only cure for my eye is a 50/50 shot if they scrape off the cornea and hope the epithelial layer grows back right. So, for now, I'm changing my stance and grip as I learn to shoot cross-dominant. Haven't worked out an approach to long guns, yet, but I'll get there.

Comment

Working...
                            X