• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RCBS 156gr LC 270WIN load

Click image for larger version

Name:	48DBBB90-9DA9-4C37-B35E-1D6255D849FD.jpeg
Views:	242
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	830255 A nice doe died of lead poisoning yesterday morning because of a 156gr RCBS cast lead 270WIN load of 28gr H4895.
    she ran about 40 yards off to the right. She was plowing dirt the whole way with her front end.
    She was with a real pretty little eight point.

This post contains load data that may or may not be suitable for your firearm . You should not try to duplicate it without first checking published data and working up safely.

It's not that Democrats are so damned ignorant. Their problem is that everything they know is wrong.

Wimachtendienk, Wingolauchsik, Witahemui

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, is a fool.
    He who knows not and knows he knows not, is wise.

Congrats on the cast bullet deer. Didn't anybody ever tell you that cast bullets won't even kill a racoon let alone a deer?

I told the guys in deer camp that I was going to try cast in my 30-40 Krag next year. One of them said, "Don't ask me to help you track and recover it about 4 miles away." I just shake my head. I was thinking 30 grains of H4895 under a Lyman 311299, 202 gr. GC bore rider. RD
    Last edited by Rockydog; 01-19-2019, 20:02.
    Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Et Canis Manducare Canis Mundi

Comment

RD, last year I mistakenly shot a cull buck at about 60yds with a lead 158gr SWC loaded for 38SPL using my Henry lever. The rifle was supposed to be loaded with 357MAG 158gr XTP's over a stiff load of H110. I thought I was in for an ordeal, but it ran about 100-120-yds in a straight line and fell over dead, shot thru and thru just behind the shoulders.

I've now taken deer with 140gr and 158gr XTP loaded for 357Mag, 158gr LC SWC loaded 38SPL, 180gr LC 311291 Lyman loaded in 30-30WIN. I've had deer chest shot with 100gr jacketed 243WIN run farther than any of the loads listed here, even the 38SPL. I try to break shoulders or neck with lead boolits since hydrostatic shock is greatly reduced using cast.

I definitely prefer jacketed bullets, but is really nice to know what you can do with lead. This bullet is very accurate out of my rebarreled REM 721 270WIN, holding less than 1.5" at 100yds. I think that is great for a novice caster like myself, and am really interested to see just how accurate and fast I can get it to perform. I'm using WW for alloy and wondering if something would be better to get an MV of 2000-2200fps. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

It's not that Democrats are so damned ignorant. Their problem is that everything they know is wrong.

Comment

Man that’s great! Pretty exciting killing a deer with your handloads and a bullet you poured.
        Not as Lean, Not as Mean, but still a Marine!

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -- Thomas Paine

Comment

Nice job,thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockydog View Post
            Congrats on the cast bullet deer. Didn't anybody ever tell you that cast bullets won't even kill a racoon let alone a deer?

I told the guys in deer camp that I was going to try cast in my 30-40 Krag next year. One of them said, "Don't ask me to help you track and recover it about 4 miles away." I just shake my head. I was thinking 30 grains of H4895 under a Lyman 311299, 202 gr. GC bore rider. RD
            I have a bunch of the Lyman #311284 220 gr. bullets cast up. Just have to lube and size them. I plan on shooting them from my Browning B78 single shot at 30-40 velocity. Should prove to be interesting. I also have a Browning 1895 clone of the 1895 Winchester. Both rifles are in 30-06 but with the 225 gr. (in my alloy) I should be able to duplicate 30-40 speed.
            Now that I have someone come in for half a day to care for my wife I should get some of my reloading plans caught up. On Mondays one woman comes in it the morning and is relieved in the afternoon giving me one full 8 hour day to maybe get to the range and get some shooting in. One woman is a volunteer and it free, the other $30 an hour with a 4 hour day. She comes in twice a week. Soon there may be another care giver that will get me another 8 hour day one a week. My cup may runneth over and I can once again smell the perfume of burning powder. Just to set the record straight, my wife had a stroke in January 2016. No hunts or range time until December 2017 when I was able to do an elk hunt. That's the only R&R I've had. You have no idea how much I'm looking forward to the first long awaited day at the range.
            Paul B.

Comment

Paul, while not quite the same we just went through a similar thing with my in-laws. I had 18 long months caring for my wife after brain surgery and a malignant tumor. She is 95% to 98% recovered, praise God. We have to be concerned and pray for the patient but all too often the main caregiver is taken for granted. They need prayers and support as well. God be with you sir. It is never easy but, is always an honor.

I haven't used anything but cast for close to 25 years and have since eschewed jacketed bullets except for 3 rifles that demand them. Cast kills every bit as good as jacketed if a proper bullet and alloy is chosen. I have since also become convinced that expansion is way over rated. As a qualifier, I prefer long, heavy for caliber bullets if the twist will stabilize them.
              "Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools". Romans 1:22

"Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it"

NRA Benefactor,

Comment

Your story piqued my interest. I had a .280 mould and traded it for 300 lubed, sized, and gas checked boolits out of that mould and he provided the alloy. I figured my time (to make 300) was worth more than the mould. Never have tried them. Went and looked at the Lyman Cast book and was shocked at the claimed velocities. They have a 120gr .270 going 2955fps! I don't think I've ever gone over 1800 with anything? I assume you guys going Krag speeds are 22-2300? I can grasp that but not just under 3000. How fast was your 156gr? Has anyone gotten that close to 3000fps before?
                Endeavor to persevere.

Call sign: Limp Wrist

Comment

deaddog I'm a novice in the cast bullet (boolit) world, but am quite pleased with the 156gr 270 RCBS mold. My current load is around 1800fps, and I am working on getting it to 2300 I hope. The BC is a little north of .300, so that is a plus.
                  I have a couple of 30 caliber molds, one is the Lyman 311291 and the other is a Lee 160gr pointed bullet, and a Lyman 358156 SWC I use in my Henry 357Mag Lever gun and my wheelgun as well. I also have a long pointed 243 from Lyman I can't get to shoot, at least not yet.

I've taken deer with all but the 243 boolit and have been impressed by how well they shoot and perform on the animal.

There are others here who are masters at this endeavor, making, loading 224 cal at impressive velocities and taking prairie dogs with them. I'm learning and having fun with this part of our hobby. I've not heard of velocities as high as you reference so maybe Rockydog or runfiverun (just to name a couple of the "cast masters" here) will weigh in. I hope others will offer their experience as well.

Comment

Originally posted by deaddog View Post
                    Your story piqued my interest. I had a .280 mould and traded it for 300 lubed, sized, and gas checked boolits out of that mould and he provided the alloy. I figured my time (to make 300) was worth more than the mould. Never have tried them. Went and looked at the Lyman Cast book and was shocked at the claimed velocities. They have a 120gr .270 going 2955fps! I don't think I've ever gone over 1800 with anything? I assume you guys going Krag speeds are 22-2300? I can grasp that but not just under 3000. How fast was your 156gr? Has anyone gotten that close to 3000fps before?
                    olyeller, I am far from a cast master. I've been at this for less than 10 years. I have Mr Mom and Slingshot to thank for my early education. I'll try to shed a little light on my loads and methodology but it's far from master cast. I just get lucky a lot with cast.

deaddog, Which Lyman cast book do you have? I have the Lyman #4, 3rd printing 2013. It shows no 120 grain .270 bullet. Highest velocity in this book is 2281 fPS with a 140 Grain 270 bullet using the Seaco#270 bore rider using 2015 powder and #2 alloy.
                    I also have a Lyman 44th Reloading Handbook (1967). It features a 109 grain Lyman #280468 bullet of #2 alloy pushing 2538 FPS using IMR4895. Not saying there isn't a book out there with those figures just that my books don't show it. Using powder coated gas checked bullets I wouldn't be afraid to try those velocities I just have not seen the need.

The bulk of my cast rifle experience comes with .223 Remington. I have not pushed cast bullets to near 3000 fps. I am using starting jacketed data (book says 2617 fps) for Accurate 5744 to push cast 55 grain gas checked powder coated bullets, cast from COWW and 2% pewter, to something over 2600 FPS. This is an estimate. I do not have an operating chronograph. They might be moving even faster as the powder coat is very slick and I am losing a couple grains in a process that "cups" the bullet nose. This cupping causes a hydrostatic shock in prairie dogs that is at least equal to the damage from a Hornady V-Max or Nosler Varmint Ballistic Tip. I'm shooting them in a 12 Twist Contender Carbine barrel. Usually fairly close, as in under 150 yards. I'd post a PD photo but it's pretty gross.

My intention with my 30 caliber guns is to try the same starting jacketed load data and cupping process with a 311291 bore riding bullet cast from COWW + 2% Pewter, powder coated. 30-30 and 30-40 around 2100 FPS. .308 at around 2300 FPS.

I have taken deer with my 45-70 at 100 yards with a Lyman 405 grain Flat Nose #457193. Estimated book velocity 1600 FPS. Bang Flop.
                    I have also taken deer with a .452 Semi wadcutter at 250 grains, cast of pure lead, and seated in a 50 caliber Hornady sabot. This load was 110 grains of Genuine Black Powder and a 209 shotgun primer. I have no idea of the velocity. I do know that 2 deer shot with this combo both took about 4 steps before dropping.

CAUTION: This post discusses loads or load data that may or may not be appropriate for your gun or for the cartridge(s) and components mentioned. Due to typos, variations in guns and components, and the abilities and judgement of users of this data, neither the writer, Handloadersbench.com, nor the staff of Handloadersbench.com assume any liability for damage or injury resulting from using this information. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DUPLICATE THE DESCRIBED LOADS without first working them up from a published safe starting level charge while watching for pressure signs. If you don't know how to do that please don't try, for your own safety and the safety of others.

Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Et Canis Manducare Canis Mundi

Comment

bore riders won't get you there.

speeds over about 2100 fps for hunting are not even needed, and in fact are counter productive if you plan on eating the animal.
                      there are ways around that happening and you need to use the exact opposite meplat type when you start getting over 2300 fps.
                      I run my 358 win with full jacketed loads of RL-19 for hunting, the meplat size is down in the 10-15% area.

anyway if your looking for speed.
                      here is what I was doing last spring.
                      https://artfulbullet.com/index.php?t...e-report.3649/
                      and someone I was helping put this video u to show his first efforts.

Comment

Third
                        Endeavor to persevere.

Comment

My 225-426A gives me fits.

Didn’t mean to highjack the thead.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by deaddog; 02-01-2019, 00:51.
                          Endeavor to persevere.

Comment

Generally I like my smokeless powder, cast bullet loads between 1600 and 1800 fps. with a preference for the higher number. BP cast loads with heavy for caliber bullets are just as effective at a leisurely 1200 fps. However, with my 9 X 71 Peterlongo it was very easy to get to 2500 fps. with fine accuracy. 'Course that it is an exceptional rifle chambered in an exceptional cartridge.
                            "Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools". Romans 1:22

"Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it"

NRA Benefactor,

Comment

Originally posted by 9.3X75R View Post
                              Generally I like my smokeless powder, cast bullet loads between 1600 and 1800 fps. with a preference for the higher number. BP cast loads with heavy for caliber bullets are just as effective at a leisurely 1200 fps. However, with my 9 X 71 Peterlongo it was very easy to get to 2500 fps. with fine accuracy. 'Course that it is an exceptional rifle chambered in an exceptional cartridge.
                              A peterlongo.......does that need censoring?

Comment

Working...
                              X