High-fence “hunting “?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High-fence “hunting “?

This past Friday morning after taking a doe, I took it to the Processer to be made into steaks and burger. Our free range deer have a lot to eat and are in excellent shape making them very good tablefare.

While there a flat-bed 1-ton truck brought in an oryx and three exotic whitetail bucks. Beautiful animals and non-typical racks. One hunter from Alaska had taken them all.

The two biggest bucks cost him $35K EACH. I wasn’t told what he paid for the smallest one or the oryx, but his bill would have to be way past $100K.

That is his business and money, but what really sobered me and 257bob was the poor shape the animals were in. It is clear to us both the operator keeps the animals starved so the come running and wait to be fed while the “tyro” chooses which to slaughter. The Processer pretty much confirmed that.

I find this a sad epithet of the hunting fraternity.
    It's not that Democrats are so damned ignorant. Their problem is that everything they know is wrong.

Wimachtendienk, Wingolauchsik, Witahemui

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, is a fool.
    He who knows not and knows he knows not, is wise.

When you have lots of money and don’t want truly hunt.
    "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

Never really cared for the idea of high fence hunting. I don't really see shooting a fenced in animal as hunting and have a hard time justifying the cost. For those that want to do it, have fun. I'm not one to judge. Just not my cup-o-tea.
      "There\'s no such thing as a good gun. There\'s no such thing as a bad gun. A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys."

-Charlton Heston

Comment

I have a friend who was given one of those hunts by a business supplier. He was put in a specific stand with a guide and told to shoot a specific buck in his value range which was an 8 point. The guide turned on the feeder and said deer walked up to be shot. I don't remember his $ value but the guide told him if he wanted a nicer buck he could upgrade his hunt price. My friend said it was the worst "hunting" experience of his life. He equated it to buying an expensive ticket to the zoo and walking up to a cage and shooting a "trophy".
        If it weren't for double standards, liberals would have no standards at all.

"Ammo and really good friends are hard to find in a gunfight so I bring them with me" E. J. Owens

Comment

While I wouldn't call it hunting, I think it does less harm, than the poaching "guides", who take them out to NPs and refuges to poach them.

As far as starving them, they look thin now, but must have been fed, at some time, to grow those racks. If they were starved or close to it, regularly racks would reflect it.

As far as "trophy" or not, is it any worse than the high dollar canned hunts, on reservations or private ranches, where access is restricted by $$$$ and the game is tame, because of limited disturbances/pressure?
          Columbia Falls, MT
          If we don’t speak out against the infringements of today, it will weaken our ability to stop the next infringements.
          Since it took 26th Amendment to change voting age, expanding rights under 14th Amendment. Why doesn't same requirement, to restrict rights, extend to 2nd Amendment?

NRA Benefactor Life, NRA Ring of Freedom, NRA-ILA Partner in Freedom, GOA Patriot, SAF, Oath Keepers

Comment

Its not hunting. Just shooting and killing and the shooting part falls way short as well. Not my thing at all, but if that is what some people want, got for it. Just don't call it hunting.

Comment

3 thoughts:

1. Those are well feed OLD deer. high fenced areas know the value of the anima;s and feed them very well. animals are seldom raised where the shot/hunt takes place. they are pen raised animals and also vet inspected.

2. Does the size of the pen make a difference? Most of south africa is fenced ranch hunts...is a 10 sq mile high fenced area still a canned penn hunt?????

3. with enviromental concerns, laws, costs and population, we may be looking at the future of hunting!

Comment

Not my cup of tea!
                Mtman714; A man can do no better then to leave a good garden patch. Thomas Jefferson

Comment

BEAR Au contraire, mon ami. Their bones are showing around the hips, backbone and ribs. No doubt last spring they got plenty of protein, but they are clearly undernourished now. Like to OP says, our free range are in excellent shape. They are trying to kill them as quickly and easily as they can, so keep them hungry to come when the bell is rung. After Season, which is basically when they shed antlers, they are fed back up.
                  It's not that Democrats are so damned ignorant. Their problem is that everything they know is wrong.

Comment

To fully understand "pen hunts" one needs to visit a few. the one with poor animals are very low price (not like OP) and those low priced places go out of business fast.

Most exotics only go into the shooting pen the day before they will be shot (to avoid fights, and there are few animals in the pen to make it look 'true hunting'). So they don't even know where the 'food' place is. So that thought about keeping them thin to get them to feed holds no oats!

Also most penn hunts use 'pushers or 'humpers' to drive the game past the shooter. It is all just business, get the most $$ in the least time.

Comment

My boss took my on a pig “shoot”. Couldn’t really call it a hunt. We went to a barn and picked our corn fed pigs. If I recall they were sold by $1 per pound. He was willing to pay $250 for mine and I was fine with that. I just had to pay for the processing. He had his two sons with and they begged him for the biggest ones in the pen. They were around 400# each. After picking them the rancher told us to go gear up and give him about :45 minutes to spread them out around the fenced in farm of about 100 acres. We walked together for about :15 minutes then decided to split up. Soon after I heard my boss yelling that he saw mine running. I looked around and it came barreling around a corner of some woods right at me. It was an impressive sight charging at me kicking up a cloud of snow from about 100 yards where I first spotted it. It took three shots from the AR10 to finally have it skid to a stop about 15 yards in front of me. I remember initially feeling exhilarated then I started to wonder if it thought I had a pail of feed? The story goes downhill from there. The other three #400 pigs were too fat to run. They just stood around waiting to be fed. I came out good on the deal. The boss hadn’t really thought about what he was going to do with #1200 of pork. So I ended up with mine and all the best cuts off of two others. He had to pay to have them all processed even though he left hundreds of pounds with them.

You can can see the fence behind me. The ACOG really came in handy that day.
                      Endeavor to persevere.

Call sign: Limp Wrist

Comment

Nice pig.

don't understand???? ACOG = American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists www.// acog.org

What was really happening on that hunt?????

Comment

ACOG is an acronym for overpriced sight.
                          Endeavor to persevere.

Call sign: Limp Wrist

Comment

Several square miles fenced where animals fended for themselve is a bit different than starved animals running to a feeder. I wouldn't care for either one.
                            I was raised in the 50\'s on jackrabbits and gunpowder.salt and pepper wooda made\'em taste better

Comment

Originally posted by BEAR View Post
                              To fully understand "pen hunts" one needs to visit a few. the one with poor animals are very low price (not like OP) and those low priced places go out of business fast.

Most exotics only go into the shooting pen the day before they will be shot (to avoid fights, and there are few animals in the pen to make it look 'true hunting'). So they don't even know where the 'food' place is. So that thought about keeping them thin to get them to feed holds no oats!

Also most penn hunts use 'pushers or 'humpers' to drive the game past the shooter. It is all just business, get the most $$ in the least time.
                              Having lived thru a couple of periods where drought conditions created deer die off, I can certainly tell a starved animal from a well fed one. I can also attest to the ability of free-range deer to equate a vehicle with being fed, having "guided" doe cull hunts on a 3500acre ranch for several years. Deer actually would come to our jeeps and stand near the road waiting for us to stop and feed them. We usually fed at selected spots, so they new the drill quite well. I only let one hunter take one as we drove off a few yards. We usually would shoot deer before or well after the "feed spot". The deer begin to act like cattle and will even come to a horn blowing to be fed corn. They don't have to be starved to learn this either, but are far easier to train when they are living in over-grazed range.

Bear in mind the Central Texas area has for decades had the highest concentration of naturally free-range big game per acre, than any other area in North America.

I've seen videos of what you call pen hunts, where animals are turned out in a 100 or so acre pen to be shot. They are normally kept in a feed lot. That is definitely not what I'm talking about in this case. The ranch is several square miles of property. Local sources pretty much confirmed what we saw and I'm telling you.

Who knows, maybe thru genetic in-breeding they don't last long and wither away on their own.

Comment

Working...
                              X