The wait begins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The wait begins

Applied for our Montana Deer tags last weekend...now we wait...

You'll get it.
    Mtman714; A man can do no better then to leave a good garden patch. Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by mtman714 View Post
      You'll get it.
      I hope you're right. Taking my Dad and FIL, neither have hunted out west. My Dad has never been west of the Mississippi. FIL was stationed in Cali for a while sometime in the early 60s, his only time across the river.

Comment

Been a very hard winter over in this county this year, sure to be some die off, but plenty of deer.
        Mtman714; A man can do no better then to leave a good garden patch. Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I have seen it has been a tough winter out that way. Hopefully there are a few left for us!!

Comment

The winter before (17-18) there was quite a bit of snow with some winter kill, particularly in the open areas with drifting snow. This past winter, particularly the past month, was exceptionally brutal. Though I don't live there now, I am from there and go hunting there quite a bit. I'm not even putting in for tags this year. Might get a bird license and give it a try, but last fall upland bird was spotty at best. Last fall I hunted north of Fort Peck, and was successful with does, but the bird hunting sucked. Game Warden said it was winter kill. A good friend was hunting north of Shelby, and he said the pheasants were plentiful there, as well as whitetails. All depends on where you draw tags. Good Luck!
            The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Menken

NRA Endowment
            US Navy Retired

Comment

Good luck!!

Comment

Normally out that way, temps can get bad up along the "HiLine", that's the country along the Canadian border. Yellowstone can get bad as well. This past month, temperatures were crazy cold. -46 at Elk Park north of Butte, -38 at Havre and Malmstrom AFB out of Great Falls. Temps from Billings, Forsyth, Miles City, Lewistown, & Harlowton were -20's with highs near zero. This was just in March, and that's right along the time when Elk are calving, Deer and Antelope are dropping fawns. This really doesn't look good for hunting at all. Biologists won't know for certain how bad it is. This was a late hit and now I'm sure they're scrambling to figure out herd mortality across the state. I might add that those temps I mentioned don't factor in local wind chill. A rancher friend near Harlowton said the wind was nasty the entire month. He had lost only two lambs and a calf, but he watches his livestock like a mother hen. Haven't really heard anything else about statewide livestock losses.
                The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Menken

NRA Endowment
                US Navy Retired

Comment

Originally posted by BPCR Bill View Post
                  Normally out that way, temps can get bad up along the "HiLine", that's the country along the Canadian border. Yellowstone can get bad as well. This past month, temperatures were crazy cold. -46 at Elk Park north of Butte, -38 at Havre and Malmstrom AFB out of Great Falls. Temps from Billings, Forsyth, Miles City, Lewistown, & Harlowton were -20's with highs near zero. This was just in March, and that's right along the time when Elk are calving, Deer and Antelope are dropping fawns. This really doesn't look good for hunting at all. Biologists won't know for certain how bad it is. This was a late hit and now I'm sure they're scrambling to figure out herd mortality across the state. I might add that those temps I mentioned don't factor in local wind chill. A rancher friend near Harlowton said the wind was nasty the entire month. He had lost only two lambs and a calf, but he watches his livestock like a mother hen. Haven't really heard anything else about statewide livestock losses.
                  You're right about the cold temps in Feb and early March out here, and quite a bit of Montana got more snow than I've seen since the '80s. But we still have a couple of months before the elk calves and deer and antelope fawns drop.
                  NRA Life Member

Comment

No word yet on how everything fared, but Feb. 19 is going in the books as the coldest Feb. ever! The mountains ranges snow pack are all above normal which is a good thing, and it snow all day long today wet heavy spring snow means good water
                    . But lots of time.

Comment

Haven't been on much lately, but we all received our Montana deer tag! Can't wait!!

Comment

Working...
                      X