• Show
Clear All

new here
    great read. I am impressed by how many members have hunted in africa

Comment

Welcome havefun.

Now is the time to plan Africa.

Comment

i really like the nosler partions in my 338. next week i'm headed to alaska for 3 months, so i'll talk to you all in probably October. 86

Comment

I'm jealous. Have a wonderful time! even if I can't go.
          NRA Endowment member
          NRA Range Technical Team Advisor
          TSRA member
          NRA certified pistol coach-Retired
          NRA classified Master, F-Class mid-range
          Velocity is like a new car, always losing value
          BC is like diamonds, maintaining value forever

Comment

Got a good deal on a partial box of 210 grain partitions this past spring, so I have them loaded up and will give 'em a try this summer, along with the loads for the .375 H&H.
            "If your dog thinks that you\'re the greatest, don\'t go seeking a second opinion."

Comment

I'll stick with my choice of 250 grain bullets. My next choice would be 225 grain and nothing lighter.

There is no real advantage to shooting a lighter bullet.
              There is an advantage to shooting a heavy bullet.

If you want to lower your recoil level, choose a different/lighter caliber.

I use a 458 Lott to back my clients. I shoot 500 grain bullets. Could I shoot 350 or 400 grain bullets? Sure, .... but what is the purpose of doing so? IMO, none. I want all the energy, penetration and good bullet construction I can get.

If you are hunting Elephant, Buffalo or Lion, .... bring the horsepower and that would be 500 grain bullets, not 400's or 450's.

The 338 is made for large game, not for jackrabbits, ..... load it up to it's potential and be contented.

Best,
              Phil

Stay out of sight and downwind
              Professional Hunter / Tanzania
              [url]www.go-on-safari.com[/url]
              [url]www.go-on-safari.com/talk[/url]

Comment

Basically, 250 grain bullets is what the .338 Win Mag is all about, so why complicate this simple fact. I've taken a lot of game with the .338, from Alaska to Africa, several times over, and almost always with 250 grain Nosler Partitions. The few exceptions being 250 grain Hornady grain solids. There were even a few trips to Africa when I took only a .338 Mag, and used if for everything with complete success. Attached is photo of a couple of sable antelope in my collection, the one on right was taken with .338 and 250 grain Nosler Partitions. The same load has also proved excellent for lions.
                Attached Files

Comment

Offhand .... Very nice Sable
                  Best,
                  Phil

Comment

Thank you Phil, here's a better picture of the sable.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Very nice Offhand. Nice house and sable.
                      NRA Endowment member
                      NRA Range Technical Team Advisor
                      TSRA member
                      NRA certified pistol coach-Retired
                      NRA classified Master, F-Class mid-range
                      Velocity is like a new car, always losing value
                      BC is like diamonds, maintaining value forever

Comment

Blood nice. Thanks for the photo.
                        Best,
                        Phil

Comment

I'm more afraid of bullet failure and under penetration vs "over penetration" (the only problem being a bullet that fails to open up/mushroom) which makes me a heavy for caliber guy. I've never hunted Africa (my dream hunt!), but I've hunted exclusively with my 338 win mag the last several seasons with 250 Nosler Accubonds with great results (elk and deer). I haven't yet taken a shot that has "challenged" the bullet (the most flesh I've sent a bullet through was a quartering shot on a smallish cow elk that entered back in rib cage and exited in the lower neck, also broke both shoulders on another cow elk with a complete exit of the bullet.) The longest tracking job I've had with that bullet has been maybe 20 yards and have yet to recover a bullet. Limited experience but happy with the results so far. Plus my rifle puts them under an inch at 100 yards with 69 grains of IMR 4831 so if I do my job they end up where they're suppposed to.

Comment

BTW Offhand, incredible trophies.

Comment

While on the subject of the .338 Win. Mag,, here is one of the roan antelope in my collection, taken with the .338 Mag and 250 grain Nosler Partitions. The .338 Mag with a heavy bullet is a top choice for the roan because, like it's cousin the sable, it is a tough, thick bodied animal requiring heavy, deep penetrating bullets to kill cleanly. I've seen roan travel some distance after being well hit with lighter, albeit faster calibers, including another one I took with 7mm Rem Mag. a few years back. That, and similar observations largely convinced me of the performance edge offered by the heavier bullet choices.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Roan and Sable have incredibly thick skin for antelope. Much thicker than you would think.

Roan is the second largest antelope in Africa ... second only to the Eland.

Both Roan and Sable are pretty tough critters. They can take some lead.

And I agree with what was said previously, under penetration is much more of a problem than over penetration.

Also, something to consider when choosing a cartridge for Africa, ..... do you want to spend 4 hours hunting, or 4 hours following drops of blood.

Hey, I am just a PH, ... makes no difference to me what cartridge you want to bring, or what bullet(s) either.

I'm not the one paying the trophy fees. And just a heads up reminder, .... 1 drop of blood found after the shot, it's yours, it's going on the license, whether it's recovered or not.

just my $.02
                                Best,
                                Phil

Comment

Working...
                                X