• Show
Clear All

• PhilLozano
    replied

Offhand .... Very nice Sable

Leave a comment:

• Offfhand
    replied

Basically, 250 grain bullets is what the .338 Win Mag is all about, so why complicate this simple fact. I've taken a lot of game with the .338, from Alaska to Africa, several times over, and almost always with 250 grain Nosler Partitions. The few exceptions being 250 grain Hornady grain solids. There were even a few trips to Africa when I took only a .338 Mag, and used if for everything with complete success. Attached is photo of a couple of sable antelope in my collection, the one on right was taken with .338 and 250 grain Nosler Partitions. The same load has also proved excellent for lions.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• PhilLozano
    replied

I'll stick with my choice of 250 grain bullets. My next choice would be 225 grain and nothing lighter.

There is no real advantage to shooting a lighter bullet.
    There is an advantage to shooting a heavy bullet.

If you want to lower your recoil level, choose a different/lighter caliber.

I use a 458 Lott to back my clients. I shoot 500 grain bullets. Could I shoot 350 or 400 grain bullets? Sure, .... but what is the purpose of doing so? IMO, none. I want all the energy, penetration and good bullet construction I can get.

If you are hunting Elephant, Buffalo or Lion, .... bring the horsepower and that would be 500 grain bullets, not 400's or 450's.

The 338 is made for large game, not for jackrabbits, ..... load it up to it's potential and be contented.

Leave a comment:

• 16gauge
    replied

Got a good deal on a partial box of 210 grain partitions this past spring, so I have them loaded up and will give 'em a try this summer, along with the loads for the .375 H&H.

Leave a comment:

• swampshooter
    replied

I'm jealous. Have a wonderful time! even if I can't go.

Leave a comment:

• win 86
    replied

i really like the nosler partions in my 338. next week i'm headed to alaska for 3 months, so i'll talk to you all in probably October. 86

Leave a comment:

• BEAR
    replied

Welcome havefun.

Now is the time to plan Africa.

Leave a comment:

• havfun
    replied

new here
    great read. I am impressed by how many members have hunted in africa

Leave a comment:

• Ruffian
    replied

Never been to Africa but have used the 338 Win , love the 210 gr

Leave a comment:

• 416RigbyHunter
    replied

I realise that longer shots don't present often in 99% of African hunting, BUT, if it ever presents itself, you can't go past the Nosler 225gr Accubond. This bullet performed flawlessly for me on Zebra and Kudu, in fact, it killed so well I use it here on our deer species. The 250gr Accubond is also fantastic, but a little heavy. The 250gr Partition is also one of my favourites for larger species like Elk and Moose. I have used this bullet on Water Buffalo with tremendous results.

Cheers.
    :thumbs:

Leave a comment:

• Offfhand
    replied

I've taken a .338 WM on three of my African hunts, always loaded with 250 gr Partitions. It works on everything.

Leave a comment:

• PhilLozano
    replied

1945 hunter wrote:
    I used handloaded Barnes 225 ttsx
    Everyone has their favorite bullets. Admittedly, I am a heavy for caliber guy.

My favorites are Swift A-Frame - 250 grain 338's are excellent bullets. These are what I load up to take to Tanzania to back clients (or when the clients use my rifle for hunting).

I have used 225 grain Nosler Partitions on Red Stags, Tahar, Elk, Deer as well on other animals I've hunted. Never used them in Tanzania. They worked well in New Zealand, AS LONG AT THE DISTANCE WAS MORE THAN 100 YARDS. Under 100, they killed the critter, but my 338 BOS pushed them too fast. No exits. They exited at 270 and 300 yards just fine on broadside shots on Red Stag.

Personally, my advise would to use the Swifts. They are very, very good bullets.

I'd stay away from 200 grain bullets. IMO, they are too light.

This is my experience with TSX's (read the entire thread)

http://www.handloadersbench.com/forum51/4472.html

Leave a comment:

• 1945 hunter
    replied

I used handloaded Barnes 225 ttsx for Kudo, Blue Wildebeest, Red Hartebeest, Warthog and Oryx. Fps just over 2600. The bullet performed very well on all of them.

Leave a comment:

• rainyday
    replied

it dosent matter what area or game you shoot. by far of all the lead core bulletts that can be bought, the nosler partition will hold together the best from a magnum. its the only lead core bullet that has never failed me.
    in 15 elk i have taken them all with one shot. with the exception of rino, elephant,etc i would not hesitate in africa as well. i wouldnt be afraid to use a nosler on lion.
    it does the least amount of damage on deer i have seen

Leave a comment:

• swampshooter
    replied

I think that the Nosler Partition would be just fine for duiker. I shot a steenbuck with them and it was fine, did not do excessive damage. The steenbuck only weighs about 15 to 18 pounds. The Nosler Partition is the only bullet that I know of that will perform properly on a 15 pound steenbuck or a 1500 pound eland.

I shot an Impala with a 270 gr. WW factory softpoint out of a .375 H&H,and it ran an excessive distance, probably about 200 yards, but the .338 with 250 NP's performed much better on the smaller antelope, as well as the big ones.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X