LION HUNTRESS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LION HUNTRESS

I found this photo on the net at an unrelated site. Does anyone know who this pretty woman is or anything about how she got those two big lions? Must be quite a story.
    Attached Files

I don't think it's Osa Johnson.

http://www.safarimuseum.com/

However, looking at the quality of the color in that picture and the picture itself, I think it could be, although it's not her hair syle. That picture looks like stuff I've seen from the very late 1930s to the early to late middle 1940s when color photography was not yet in it's prime.
    I do know that Osa Johnson was one hell of a shot and he husband Martim depended on her to keep charging nasties off his tender hide. She was quite successful at doing that so if that is her, two lions were probably a piece of cake. I have seen some of their movies and she could shoot, not doubt about it.
    Paul B.

Comment

I don't believe the picture is that old. I'd be very surprised if it dated to earlier than 1990.
      Homo sapiens, [ˈhōmō ˈsāpēənz] Noun. An advanced primate characterized by a large brain which it seldom uses.

Comment

Well, is that scope on the rifle or something in the background?

Comment

interesting. large manes like those cats usually means, no thorn bushes where they grew up. small bodies, but the angle could be bad?

pen raised?

where did the photo come from to the OP, offhand?

if you go back to the site and right click on that post, the 'properties' should give you a clue!

Comment

"Well, is that scope on the rifle or something in the background?"
            Good question 12Semi, I think it's the eyepiece of a scope. Or at least that's what it looks like. Wish the rifle showed better too.

Comment

well the action is open and the bolt handle is up.

Comment

Offfhand wrote:
                "Well, is that scope on the rifle or something in the background?"
                Good question 12Semi, I think it's the eyepiece of a scope. Or at least that's what it looks like. Wish the rifle showed better too.
                looks like a tang peep sight and a lock of hair to me:confused:
                Salt&Light

WOODSMAN777

Comment

Woodsman, I think you're right about the tang site. Seems a strange choice for a dangerous game rifle.
                  Homo sapiens, [ˈhōmō ˈsāpēənz] Noun. An advanced primate characterized by a large brain which it seldom uses.

Comment

I doubt a tang sight, that is the bolt open and the handle turn up. look close.

Comment

If you magnify the pic five or six times you can see a horizontal area of lighter tone extending straight forward of the "tang sight." Looks like a bolt. And the heavy dark blob at the base of the "sight" could be the base of the bolt.

Comment

I looked at this thread so many times......now I'm in LOVE.

What lions???

Comment

Bear, I may be in love too. I've searched the site where I found that original photo and found more of what appears to be the same girl but no name or date. Looks like a safari camp somewhere in Africa.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Me thunks Plainsman is right.... looking at the vehicles in the background and the plasstic apparatus on the camp table... certainly not from the '30's or 40's.

and the chairs would have been wood framed back then also.
                            "I am, therefore I\'ll Think."- John Galt "Atlas Shrugged"

"Arguing with a Marine is like wrestling with a Pig. Everyone gets dirty, but the Pig loves it."

Comment

Yeah, I 'm guesstimating 60's, maybe 70's. Any ideas on what is that beige thing with the handle?

Comment

Working...
                              X