No announcement yet.

Favorite African game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

O.K. Bear, that's probably good advice. Probably no worry about bankruptcy though, they got loooots of money.
    NRA Endowment member
    NRA Range Technical Team Advisor
    TSRA member
    NRA certified pistol coach-Retired
    NRA classified Master, F-Class mid-range
    Velocity is like a new car, always losing value
    BC is like diamonds, maintaining value forever

Comment

If it helps, our group went with Grasslands Safaris in RSA, Orange State. We landed in Joberg and went by van to the lodge. Very nice facility and great host. They specialize in wing shooting. We shot most of the game birds in SA. The ducks and Egyptian Spur Wing geese were shot over "Pans" which in SA are big water holes, or ponds.cthe Guina fowl, frankolin and quail were shot over grass with dogs. Carl (the PH) is a former a Capt in the SA army and his wife is a registered nurse, which is handy. They had 30,000 hectares when we were there, whith a lot of plains game.

No semi auto shotguns into RSA unless you are disabled and have a special permit. A good ou is the best bet.
      Ed
      "who can afford so to cover his country with troops for its defense as that 10,000 men descending from the clouds might not in many places do an infinite deal of mischief before a force could be brought together to repel them?"
      Franklin

Comment

Rapier wrote:
        Carl (the PH) is a former a Capt in the SA army and his wife is a registered nurse, which is handy.
        Why was that handy.....were you that crappy of a shot? You didn't teach Dick Cheney how to shoot, did you?:lol:
        "If your dog thinks that you\'re the greatest, don\'t go seeking a second opinion."

Comment

Nope, our Veterinarian crawled through thorns on the ground to get close enough to get a shot at his wildebeest. Careel removed the thorns, which were poisionus, from his right hand, so he could remove the thorns from his left and knees with his right. He was determined to get the critter, a type he did not have. One other member of our group had a pig valve in his heart.

She was the nearest thing we had to a doctor for over a two hour drive. A medical person at the lodge anywhere I have gone in the world would be a potential lifesaver. Example: We crossed paths with a mamba in the waist high yellow grass field, the first day, that was the event that gave me a very direct idea of what a RN with meds could do for us.
          Ed
          "who can afford so to cover his country with troops for its defense as that 10,000 men descending from the clouds might not in many places do an infinite deal of mischief before a force could be brought together to repel them?"
          Franklin

Comment

We crossed paths with a huge black mamba on my hunt. He stood up 6' in the air right in front of the tracker. That's one time I was glad to be third in line. The tracker threw a walking stick at him and he headed for his hole. I'm just glad we weren't between him and his hole.
            NRA Endowment member
            TSRA member

Comment

Ours was a very long, stretched across a dirt road side to side, going into the grass. PH stopped on the spot, got out of the truck, walked to the back, opened the rear door and said, "you going to get out" three of us said in unison "what about the mamba" no problem the dogs will scare him off. So out we got following the mamba into the yellow grass with our 12ga guns loaded with #6 shot which felt very inadaquate to this bird hunter/mamba chaser.
              Then after about 15 minutes, Bobby, next to me in the field, bird line, says , "see that thorn bush over there?" Yep...That is where I shot my lion, last year.... What!, he looks around and says yep this is the place. Now here I am with my bird gun with bird shot, shooting Guina Fowl in perfect ambush grass in lion country...... Gotta be nuts.:lol: just two of many funny things on that trip. I still have visions of me trying to stick that Browning up a lion's butt because shooting him with #6s would have been a bad mistake.
              Ed
              Franklin

Comment

No hunting allowed on Sunday where I hunted so we went fishing. After fishing about an hour the rancher that was grazing cattle nearby stopped to talk. He said "Oh, by the way, stay alert this is where a big croc took one of my cows last week". I immediately backed up a little farther from the waters edge. Hunting in Africa is certainly different from hunting in the US.
                NRA Endowment member
                TSRA member

Comment

I have a good friend and customer that hunts Africa about every 3 years. For years Matt has been trying to get me to go with him. I have never hunted Africa and probably never will. Biggest reason is I simply cannot travel that far...unless my new Rheumatologist can work some sort of miracle....anyway....

Simply to satisfy dreams I would like to hunt Cape Buffalo and sable. I just love Ruarks's description of the buffalo when he said, "he looks at you as if you owe him money". And the sable....granted it's a matter of taste but to me they are the most beautiful of Africa's antelope.

My friend, Matt, has two buff's on his wall, one very good and the other representative. When I asked him about hunting them he told me "mine were like shooting a cow in the pasture". I expect that's true enough a lot of the time but the potential is definitely there for some exciting shooting.
                  "Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools". Romans 1:22

"Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it"

NRA Benefactor,

Comment

Working...
                  X