Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Downloading big bores to match medium bore Taylor ratings ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downloading big bores to match medium bore Taylor ratings ?

Anyone have hunting experience with downloaded big bores to match medium bore Taylor ratings ?

That is, taking the 500, 550, or 585 big bores with their 750 grain bullets and reducing their velocity to match the Taylor ratings of factory loadings in 30-06 or 375 H&H.

Expect penetration of the big bores would be good and there would be no bullet expansion in the softs. But don't know what animal reaction would be.

Not suggesting that one would build a big bore for this purpose, but one who already had a big bore might want to in orderto make it more useful on a one-rifle African safari. Obviously, would want a foolproof method to make sure the impala loads don't get mixed with the nyati loads.

Maybe those who've used the 475 and 500 Linebaughs a lot on game might chime in.

Aren't you effectively stating that you want to reduce a load meant for big dangerous animals that could stamp you into the ground, or possibly just chew on you for a short period of time-leaving you maimed beyond repair......why? Your affection for the big Hammers is well known by myself, but I still don't understand why you are wanting to do the above.......

Hammer, you've been spending to much time in the clouds(maybe not enough oxygen?) Why not download a 30-06 to get the same performance as a 22rf?

There is absolutely nothing I could ever teach you about reloading.....your the best at it I know of....I've seen yor set-up(online).

Scott (respectfully) B
    \"Handloadersbench.com, it\'s founders and staff, and UltraBB do not condone, and will not facilitate or otherwise aid in the commission of, any criminal act.

Comment

Not speaking for everyone...

But the amount of shooting I can do with the 585 Nyati, 550 Magnum, 500 A-Square, etc is limited by thecumulative recoil. To shoot more in a single session either have to shoot smaller calibers like the 460 Wby or try slightly reduced loads for the big ones.

Also, maybe not everything takes all the horsepower of a 585 Nyati. With a 3/4 load, itmight still take some pretty good size animals. As to trajectory, the 585 is never going to be a Jack O'Connor 270, so learning trajectories and getting close to the target is always part of the game.

Comment

For approx 10 years I practiced firing 06 & 243 rifles at least 3 days per week and in the warm weather many evenings.When I purchased a Sako 300wm I was ready and fired it far fewer times to zero in. I took a customer of my GS to our range to check out hispre 64 Win mod 70in 375 with a redfield1.5 x 5 scope that was acting up.After the owner fired4: 3 shots 3 inches highat 12 o'clock& the 4th low & right at5 o'clock.He handed me his rifle after it cooled down,I fired 3 at 12 o'clock and 1 at 5 o'clock exactly as the owner did.The redfield scope had been to the factory repair 3 timesfor correction and it wasn't fixed.The owner took his Win pre 64 mod 70 in 300wm and got his large alaskan griz.In your case practice with a lesser caliber a heck of a lot so that when you fire your cannons it won't require a lot of painful shots to zero in.When I go to the range I fire 5 or 6 shots out of my 300wm as long as they're in a group up to 2.5 inches that's fine enough to kill an elk or deer.Too many go to sight in and think they have to have a group of 5 in a 1/2 inch .Outdoor Life had some data on 1 shot zeroing a few years ago.

Comment

I've fooled around with reduced cast loads in both my .458 Win. Mags., (Winchester and Remington), as well as my Weatherby Mark V .460. It's the bullet on the far right. (Loaded .45 ACP along with a Lyman 325 Gr. .45 Colt is shown for comparision). It's a Lyman 552 Gr. Gas Check. Accuracy is good if I keep the velocity down and don't get carried away. This bullet also works well in both my Marlin .45-70 Guide Gun and in my Magnum Research BFR .45-70 Revolver. This bullet will penetrate quite well at low to medium velocities. I cast it hard out of Linotype, and with a Gas Check leading is non existant. There isn't a hell of a lot of data on these type of loads, so you're pretty much on your own. But you are working with pressures that are low so it's easy to stay out of trouble. It makes these thumpers a lot more pleasant to shoot in informal sessions at the range. My wife has fired my .460 Weatherby with the Accubrake and these cast loads. They sure can ring the hell out of a steel plate at 200 yards! Bill T.

Comment

Thats a Lyman 462560 , Ihave abt 250 of them , wish I cud find thew mould without paying ebay rates for one ..

Cast is a good way to shooting these big babies reduced ..
            My Goal In Life Is To Be As Good Of A Person As My Dog Thinks I Am

Comment

I shoot my Weatherby .460 when I can. Her main loadings, .500 grain solids, will drop the biggest and baddest anywhere. But there are three loads below .500 grain that I can effectiely load down to deal with anything below water buffalo status. They are; .350 grn rn, .400 grn rn and a new one that I am working on now, .480 DGX from hornady. Loaded down two or three step from a max loading and all three of these would be good for everything else.

Comment

By using Trail Boss a big bore shooter could easily shoot a cast bullet at 1,000-1500 fps.
                NRA Endowment member
                NRA Range Technical Team Advisor
                TSRA member
                NRA certified pistol coach-Retired
                NRA classified Master, F-Class mid-range
                Velocity is like a new car, always losing value
                BC is like diamonds, maintaining value forever

Comment

I like the cast solids from Missouri bullet company for my.54 cal smoke pole, but I have yet to try them for sweet tunder. She is very picky.

Comment

Try grafs.com, they should have what you seek.

Comment

osnixpero wrote:
                      I shoot my Weatherby .460 when I can. Her main loadings, .500 grain solids, will drop the biggest and baddest anywhere. But there are three loads below .500 grain that I can effectiely load down to deal with anything below water buffalo status. They are; .350 grn rn, .400 grn rn and a new one that I am working on now, .480 DGX from hornady. Loaded down two or three step from a max loading and all three of these would be good for everything else.
                      Just take that 480 grain bullet and drop 1/2 grain of powder until you get to 2150 on your chronograph.

Now, depending on the powder you are using, you may have to change powders to download them enough.

However, I might look at a 458 Win Mag top loading and think about putting it in your 460 with some filler. That might be a place to start, but I'm a PH, not an ballistics guy, so, you're on your own.
                      Best,
                      Phil

Stay out of sight and downwind
                      Professional Hunter / Tanzania
                      [url]www.go-on-safari.com[/url]
                      [url]www.go-on-safari.com/talk[/url]

Comment

I'd load either Trail Boss or reduced H4895 loads. There is info here on reducing 4895. RD

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/H4895%20R...le%20Loads.pdf

And Trail Boss

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Trail%20B...oads%20R&P.pdf
                        Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Et Canis Manducare Canis Mundi

Comment

The Lyman 46th. edition, copyright 1982 shows a starting load of 86 grs. of 3031 behind a 500 gr. jacketed bullet for 2183 fps and a max. load of 96 grs. with a f-215 primer. I've never loaded for the 460, but I have frequently used reduced charges of 3031 in my other magnums, 458, 338, 300 and 7 mags. 3031 hasn't shown any tendencies to be unpredictable in any of my rifles when using charges of at least 70% of max.
                          NRA Endowment member
                          NRA Range Technical Team Advisor
                          TSRA member
                          NRA certified pistol coach-Retired
                          NRA classified Master, F-Class mid-range
                          Velocity is like a new car, always losing value
                          BC is like diamonds, maintaining value forever

Comment

I have some cast lead loads for my 500 Jeffery shooting 525 bullets at about 1700 fps. I'd have to look them up. Recoil was very mild. I just use it for plinking but it would be a fine North American woods load (inside of 150 yards or so) for anything short of grizzly or brown bear.
                            "There\'s a saying in prizefighting ... Everyone\'s got a plan until they get hit."

Michael Douglas "Ghost And The Darkness"

Comment

Only way to do this is to go cast. The castboolits dot com forum has countless threads similar to this one about big-bore Nitro cartridges milded up for lower recoil using cast bullets.

Comment

Working...
                              X