Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barnes Triple Shocks are killers

Just don't tell your Taxidermist you are using them -

All animals shot with a 7mm Rem. Mag. and 160 grain Barnes Triple Shock bullets (Federal).

The Dik Dik about 55 yards -

Gerenuk at 80 yards -

Lesser Kudu at about 110 yards -

I keep hearing what great performance these bullets have and what great killers they are. Well they kill . . . . . thats for sure.

Well, I still don't like them.

On 1 Grants, it did not exit and was mushroomed under the skin on the off shoulder. The shot was taken at about 95 to 110 yards (the bullet hit no large, i.e. leg bones). For a 7mm Mag. to not exit, I thought quite unusual on a Grants, as they are not all that large or tough.

On another Grants, shot at 140 or so, the bullet blew a big chunk out of the critter and internal organs were coming out the hole.

You "X fans" can have these suckers ! ! ! !

There was not 1 animal shot where the hide was undamaged (there was more hide damage than with good quality soft point bullets).
    Best,
    Phil

Stay out of sight and downwind
    Professional Hunter / Tanzania
    [url]www.go-on-safari.com[/url]
    [url]www.go-on-safari.com/talk[/url]

good lord. i haven't seen damage like that using any of my various caliberballistic tips on antelope or deer.

just for the experience, i had entertained the idea of using these ts's in a 7mm RUM rebarrel project thati have plannedbut i'll be darned if i need excessive damage like that.
    A Big Mouth Don\'t Make A Big Man !!!

THE DUKE

Comment

phil - i hope you don't mind, but i took the liberty of copying/pasting this over at BSB, and will probably post it in a couple of other places.

this is too much. i've heard horro stories about nosler BTs, but compared to this, those stories are fairy tails.:sad:
      Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
      Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Foods of the World Forums

Comment

Would appreciate it more if they registered here or at my place to view.

However, I did read what d4570 said over on your site. Just can't understand what he said there.

Anyway, if you use these bullets, your taxidermy bill is going way up.

These animals are quite expensive and most guys only get a chance to hunt them once in their life. To have hide damage like that is pretty excessive.

A Lesser Kudu and Gerenuk are $2,500.00+ each. Don't need to tear them up like that.
        Best,
        Phil

Comment

phil - what's the link to your place? i'll make sure both sites are posted there.
          Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

People can register at ~

http://www.go-on-safari.com/talk

A few topics anyone can view, but to read the entire forum (where all photos etc. is) they must register.

Thanks.
            Best,
            Phil

Comment

heh -

just saw it right at the bottom of your post~~:wink:

i'll let them know - and i'll join up, too!

thanks -
              Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Wow not even close to my experience with Barnes X-Bullets.Nor any of my friends that use them.hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm makes ya wonder.

Comment

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

- what are you wondering, 264?

i mean, if you got something to say, then say it.
                  Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Wasn't trying to questionanyone's honosty or anything like that.Just doesn't go with my experience thats all.Biggest wonder to me is what happened with that load.Pretty extreme results.Looks as though the bullet had a complete failure to hold together.Reminds me of the ground squierrels I shoot with my .17 Ackley Magnum.Maybe the small coastal deer we shoot here are much tougher built.

Comment

I can't dispute your results, that is horrible! Can't help but notice that these were "close" shots with a 7mag I think that you could have "over sped" the useful range of that bullet. If memory serves me correct the range is 2600 to 1600 IMPACT velocity, not MUZZLE velocity. I hope to have better results her real soon with them.
                      my pics http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member3458.png

Comment

I don't question much that's posted on these chat sites any more, with regard to cartridge or bullet performance other folks have experienced or witnessed. It just isn't worth it. I wasn't there soI don't have anybase to refute what's being reported. I simplytrust the poster is reporting the facts as accurately ashecanthen I go about establishing my own base of knowledge about a particular product, if I'm so inclined.

For years now I've been toldthat big game hunting quality Nosler Ballistic Tips blow up on hide. They're to frangible and will not hold together for reliable big game hunting. Stories reported have pretty much covered the spectrum ofsuccess with milddisappointment to out-n-outhorrific failure.I, on the other hand, have been using these bullets for years on antelope, whitetail and mule deer. From the100 gr. .257's in the .25-06 to the 180 gr. .308's in the 7.82 Warbird and lots in between,and I have never experienced a single blow-up on hide. NEVER. I've pushed these bullets in cartridgesas hard as anyone ever has on some shots of extreme close range. I've never experienced what I'd consider afailure. Ever. So how do you explain it? When one fails so miserably while another has 100% success with the same exact bullet? When I dig deeper into Ballistic Tip horror stories, I can usually get to the root of exactly what happened pretty darn fast.Been using them long enough to know exactly what to and not to do with them, so there's usually some tale-tale signs that come through pretty quick.

With these Triple Shocks and thephoto's postedby Phil, I don't have anyexperience with them to know what happened and why. I will say, on animals of the size shown, I'd be a lot more comfortable shooting my Ballistic Tips and knowing what I know rather then using the Triple Shocks and not knowing anything about them.

I will agree 100% withPhil in that when you're dropping big $$$ on trophybig game animals, you certainly don't want tobe doing that kind of damage to the capes. Doing so is the quickest way I know toensure you'll only be gettingeuropean mounts rather thenfull shoulder mounts. korey
                        A Big Mouth Don\'t Make A Big Man !!!

THE DUKE

Comment

I used to shoot Nosler Solidbase bullets and were happy with them.Because of the excellent accuracy of the BT's everyone started using them.Its my understanding Nosler had to redsign the BT to hold together on game.Some of that reported failure was with the early BT's.When the word gets out on something like that it seems we shooters have a hard time forgetting the past,or just take someones elses word and never look back.I have only seen the 150 gr Ballistipused in a .300 winmag.I was impressed.I would not hesitate to use them in my .264.Only problem with that here in Calif is pollitics,condors and bad research making it neccessary to use lead free bullets the law very soon.And it's hard to argue the with success I have had with the Barnes X-Bullet.Time will tell on the Tripleshock.I plan to use them in my new .264

Comment

The 160 gr expanding bullet at somewhere around 3000 fps from a 7mm Rem mag is a pretty powerful load for small antelopes like the ones Phil pictured. I have had and seen similar results when hunting larger animals and the opportunity at a smaller animal arose, and it was either take the shot with too much gun or pass up the opportunity.

I think any expanding bullet from a 7 mag would have produced similar results as those shown. The 7 mag is a killer.
                            NRA Life Member

Comment

buffybr wrote:
                              The 160 gr expanding bullet at somewhere around 3000 fps from a 7mm Rem mag is a pretty powerful load for small antelopes like the ones Phil pictured.  I have had and seen similar results when hunting larger animals and the opportunity at a smaller animal arose, and it was either take the shot with too much gun or pass up the opportunity.

I think any expanding bullet from a 7 mag would have produced similar results as those shown.  The 7 mag is a killer.
                              Maybe, but I have my doubts. I have seen many animals (the same ones as pictured) shot with 7 Mags. and 338's and 270's. I have never seen cape damage like this before.

True, the Dik Dik is a very small antelope and I may "buy" the story the 7 Mag. at 50 yards is 'too much gun'.

The Grants (mentioned above) weigh about 150 lbs..
                              Gerenuk about 100 lbs.
                              The Lesser Kudu is 200+ lbs.

I wonder how many Coues deer are shot with 7 Mags. ? Or Whitetails or Mule deer ? (at the same relative distance).

I have seen 100's of these sized animals shot with everything from a 270 up through a 416.

The 300 Weatherby does not/did not tear up these animals like what I posted. I would venture to say the 300 Wby is as "stout" as the 7 Mag at the same distance.

Now, I personally don't care for the 300 Wby., but I at least must give it it's due. It did not put large holes in capes the way I have shown in the photos.

Again, personally, I like Swifts and Woodleigh's, but that is my preference.

Anyone that likes the TSX's (or any other bullet) is welcomed to use what they like/want. No problem by me. I was just trying to report what I saw.

However, to say that any expanding bullet would have done the same thing, personally, I think is not correct. Perhaps any bullet would not perform as designed, but as I have stated, I have not observed this kind of cape damage on these sized animals from any other cartridges before.
                              Best,
                              Phil

Comment

Working...
                              X