Hunting/survival knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunting/survival knife

What kind of steel should I look for in a hunting,survival type knife, tough but will hold an edge, I know you get what you pay for but I need to stay under 100.00 ,any suggestion would be appreciated

There are many choices out there but my go too knife is my old Marine Corps K-Bars.

The steel is mil-spec'd as 1095 high carbon steel.

There are various stainless steels that make good knives but stainless can be a real PITA to work.

FYI... most people confuse Ka-Bar with K-Bar. Granted Ka-Bar made most of the original Marine Knives but K-Bar is actually spelled K-BAR meaning Knife-Browning Automatic Rifle because the old BAR did not have a bayonet lug so it became tradition that anyone issues a weapon without a bayonet lug also drew a fighting knife in case of hand to hand combat.
    "I am, therefore I\'ll Think."- John Galt "Atlas Shrugged"

"Arguing with a Marine is like wrestling with a Pig. Everyone gets dirty, but the Pig loves it."

Comment

I'd agree a ka-bar, Becker BK2, or a Mora for under a hundred.

An ESEE or Ontario RAT or SK 5, or a Helle for a little more. (120-30)
      “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Comment

Nothing fancy, but my hunting knives are Green Rivers. Alike like peas in a pod, very mass produced, but I've not found much that holds an edge like they do.
        "The fact that guns can kill another human being is the whole point. That\'s why they are so darn good at deterring violent criminals". Ann Coulter

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Charley wrote:
            Nothing fancy, but my hunting knives are Green Rivers. Alike like peas in a pod, very mass produced, but I've not found much that holds an edge like they do.
            :thumbs: Russel Green River knives are used heavily in packing plants. They hold an edge for a long time, yet sharpen fairly easily. As with most tools, find the one a man makes a living with and they'll last the part time user a lifetime.
            Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Et Canis Manducare Canis Mundi

Comment

Go here.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/list/Item.aspx/453/1

Get a Russell blade. Get some scales. Make your own.

Be careful, making your own is a remarkable hobby. It is very addictive.

Comment

for hunting I now use a Havalon Piranta-Bolt in. Those heavy to carry knives just don't cut it (pun) any longer for this old timer.

Survival knife should be light enough to carry all the time so you have it when you need it. My survival knife is the SCHRADE SS1 CARABINER FOLDING KNIFE.

Comment

I think the only knife out there that qualifies for a true survival knife is the K-Bar. It has a tough enough blade and tang that makes it hard to break and it will hold an edge.

When you want a knife to cut limbs, etc to make a shelter or such,The smaller folder s and such don't cut it ( pun intended). They are oK for hunting and many smaller task,but that is about it. I put an antler handle on my k-Bars. I haven both the smaller one and large one ,Vietnam era.
                  They are both in my saddle bags all the time.

Comment

IMO, a good little knife is just that...

A good big knife is, and can be, much more!!:thumbs:
                    Molon Labe
                    Benefactor member NRA
                    USN 1956-1961

Comment

I like S30V but knives made out of it are usually pretty pricey.
                      Homo sapiens, [ˈhōmō ˈsāpēənz] Noun. An advanced primate characterized by a large brain which it seldom uses.

Comment

Whoops.I misspoke.My knives are Camillus. I replaced the leather with antler

Comment

I have as many knives as I have guns, more than I need and less than I want. To me a hunting knife and a survival or camp knife are not the same thing. A hunting knife's main purpose is field dressing. A survival knife is more of a multi-purpose knife. It needs to be more substantial for heavier use.

I've carried many knives over the years but my thinking has evolved. My main hunting knife is a locking folder with a bone saw and gut hook. It's a Buck that cost around $40 12 to 15 years ago.
                          Attached Files
                          If it weren't for double standards, liberals would have no standards at all.

"Ammo and really good friends are hard to find in a gunfight so I bring them with me" E. J. Owens

Comment

My camp or survival knives were originally carried as hunting knives before I converted to the folder. I used to think I needed and large belt knife so I have the bowie. The other is an older Blackjack model 7 production knife.

http://www.blackjackknives.com/?BISK...EXT=cat&cat=19

You might also look at Knives of Alaska. They use D2 tool steel for their blades and they are excellent production knives too. I have a caping, boning, fillet, and a folder from them that is my EDC knife.

http://www.knivesofalaska.com/
                            Attached Files
                            If it weren't for double standards, liberals would have no standards at all.

"Ammo and really good friends are hard to find in a gunfight so I bring them with me" E. J. Owens

Comment

Look at Cold Steel SRK Survival knife. It is in the $100 bracket. I got one for just under $100. Awesome knife. My grandson made goo goo eyes at it, so he has it now. Have to get another.

Look at this.

https://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/s...20steel%20srk&
                              "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

Working...
                              X