First Bear Hunt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Bear Hunt

I'm going on my first bear hunt . what would be my best choice 30/30 or 270 ?
    I'm a much better shot with the 30/30 FYI

Where and how you hunt will help decide. From a stand over bait 30-30. The sights matter more than the caliber. Dark woods, dark Bear, dark cross hairs are not a good combination. My experience has them becoming active just before dark. Always try to shoot with the near side front leg forward.
    Endeavor to persevere.

Comment

25 to 60 yards in a raised tree stand . open sites on both guns

Comment

That close and elevated, 30-30 should do fine. As said above, shoot near side, front leg forward. A 150 grain projectile will probably do fine but I, personally, would consider using a 170 grainer instead. Not that I wouldn't consider a 270, I just think it may be too much rifle for such a close distance.
        "There\'s no such thing as a good gun. There\'s no such thing as a bad gun. A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys."

-Charlton Heston

Comment

Originally posted by OKLHUNTER View Post
          That close and elevated, 30-30 should do fine. As said above, shoot near side, front leg forward. A 150 grain projectile will probably do fine but I, personally, would consider using a 170 grainer instead. Not that I wouldn't consider a 270, I just think it may be too much rifle for such a close distance.
          Ain't no such thing as too much gun. The 30-30 will work just fine; my preference being 170 gr. bullets. With the .270 a 150 gr. bullet will work just fine.
          Paul B.

Comment

Working...
          X