Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can the words pretty and groundhog be used in the same sentence?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can the words pretty and groundhog be used in the same sentence?

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0797.JPG Views:	1 Size:	71.2 KB ID:	807309Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0769.JPG Views:	1 Size:	73.2 KB ID:	807307Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0799-1.JPG Views:	1 Size:	71.3 KB ID:	807308

I think so. I spent almost an hour Saturday afternoon trying to get just a couple of decent photos of this guy. I had to use a pair of binoculars mated to my cell phone to be able to get these. The photos don't really do him justice. His feet and tail are black. When he runs the contrast is almost spectacular. I've never seen a caramel colored woodchuck. I've seen every shade of silver, gray, and almost black. This is in town in an industrial park. This little grassy spot is a water retention basin.
    If it weren't for double standards, liberals would have no standards at all.

"Ammo and really good friends are hard to find in a gunfight so I bring them with me" E. J. Owens

I find most animals are a pleasure to watch.In Pennsylvania many are caramel colored. Groundhogs are intriguing when they nimbly spin food around in their hands to eat. When they burrow holes at my house's foundations or eat my vegetable garden that pleasure turns into me going full out Elmer Fudd.
    Vinutz pronounced Vinootz - NRA Life Member

REGISTRATION LEADS TO CONFISCATION !!!

Comment

Their fur is beautiful, gray/brown/white tipped. Alway remind me of a Grizzly bear.

When they run they are like jello, one would think they had no bones.

I hunt them, and use to eat them (Clover fed meat). But I must say they are usually filled with lice/ticks. One should not live with your belly dragging on the grass and then sleep most of the time in a moist underground cave.

Comment

I think they are like deer and change color slightly during the year?

Comment

Yep, DD, from Gray to rust brown.

Comment

Looks like DD's sentence would be "This ground hog is pretty dead."
            Homo sapiens, [ˈhōmō ˈsāpēənz] Noun. An advanced primate characterized by a large brain which it seldom uses.

Comment

Pic is just after my dog shook him loose from her upper lip. Those teeth are nothing to mess with.

Comment

My first GSP was a stone-killer of 'chucks. It was the one critter I could not call her off of. She hated them with a passion. One of them clamped onto her neck-skin and held on until she shook it off and killed it. Left a large hole through-and-through that I could have put a couple of fingers through and wiggled them out the other end. (This didn't cause her hatred of them. She was born with that apparently.) Those teeth are fearsome.
                Homo sapiens, [ˈhōmō ˈsāpēənz] Noun. An advanced primate characterized by a large brain which it seldom uses.

Comment

Interesting, Plainsman, my first and only GSP was same as yours. A farm dog with lots of killer instinct.

He loved to kill ground hogs...he actually made it a sport. He roamed the farm, when he say a hog in the pasture, he would stalk it. Just like a lion he would use slope cover and get between the hog and its hole. Then he would rise up like a god, showing himself to the competitor. I swear he would smile 'sort of like I got you'. He would play with the hog like cutting horse, never letting it get past him into his hole. Then when the game got bored, and the hog tired and mad; the GSP would charge and kill it. often tossing it high (6+ pounds), a strong dog. This would go on all summer, never had to shoot a hog in a pasture.

Like yours, the GSP had battle scars everywhere, both ears clipped and split in two.

He never tired of his sport. Right up till he died, He looked forward to spring with low hay and young stupid hogs.

Comment

I had pure bred lab and gshp mix litter mates. Both female. One looked like a golden lab and the other a black and white pointer with a full tail.

The lab would push and the pointer would post. I never trained them to do anything other than come. They were amazing.

Comment

My dog from age 2 to 18 was a rat terrier- bull terrier cross he was named Tiny, which he wasn't. About standard beagle size body with a wider chest and shorter legs. He was death on rats. We were tearing down an old corn crib one day and he killed over 30 rats with precision regularity. Grab them, shake the life out of them, toss them in the air, catch them, give them a double shake, drop them and move on to the next one.

We had a road bank in front of our house covered in iris's and day lillys. One day at lunch time I went to get the mail and Tiny was right behind me as he always was. A woodchuck had decided to make a new den right in the middle of one of mom's iris beds. The chuck was out gathering some lunch himself. The dog saw him and the charge was on. The chuck made it to his new hole but it was only about a foot deep. He went in head first but the dog grabbed his tail and pulled him back out. The chuck whirled around and snapped at the dog but Tiny let go and the chuck missed. The chuck then backed in the hole and the standoff started. The darting, feinting, snapping and growling from both sides was quite a show. Lunch was ready so I left them to their own devices. About a half hour later I came back out and they were still at it. I was about to go in and get a gun to finish things off when Tiny drug the chuck out of the hole and shook him to death. No head toss though as the old boar chuck darn near outweighed him. That dog was one tough son of a gun. Always fought well above his size. RD
                      Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Comment

Working...
                      X