Blindsided

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blindsided

Pattern testing some different shotshells for an upcoming duck hunt in Oklahoma next week. Trying out Winchester Blind side 12ga 3 1/2” #6’s 1675 FPS with a 1 3/8 oz payload. Will be hunting over decoys so many first shots under 35 yards. Somewhat surprised at the results. The more open choke is the one I would have guessed to be the better performer but I was wrong. I guess that’s why you test them?
    Endeavor to persevere.

If you can’t read the notes on the pics:

First pic green duck is 15” long. 10 hits with .710 choke at 35 yards.

Second is a .695” choke, 24 hits and is a smaller target at 14” long.

Fowl in the foreground in winter camo did not stick around long
    Last edited by deaddog; 1 week ago.
    Endeavor to persevere.

Comment

Sure hope those two test birds tasted OK.

I'm a bit puzzled as to why you expected the open choke to out perform the tighter one.
      -Remote locations are cheap insurance.
      -There are two kinds of ships: Submarines and targets

Comment

I attempted to pattern a shotgun. Once. Had 3" 2 oz magnum turkey loads in a short barreled pump. Took #4, 5, and 6's with 3 different chokes. I shot the first choke with #4 and then with #5 and said the heck with it. I don't care how they pattern. They kick like 3 mules. I eventually traded the pump in on a Benelli auto and there was much rejoicing.
        If it weren't for double standards, liberals would have no standards at all.

"Ammo and really good friends are hard to find in a gunfight so I bring them with me" E. J. Owens

Comment

With steel shot many times over constricting can cause erratic patterns especially with regular screw in chokes. I use extended choke tubes and they allow you to squeeze a bit more but never as tight as you can with lead.

I used a Benelli SBE ll for the tests. The 3.5" shells harmed me more than the cardboard facsimiles of ducks. Hopefully my teeth will tighten back up in their sockets?
          Endeavor to persevere.

Comment

I have a friend who got rid of his 3.5" gun. Said he just didn't have that much against waterfowl.
            If it weren't for double standards, liberals would have no standards at all.

"Ammo and really good friends are hard to find in a gunfight so I bring them with me" E. J. Owens

Comment

I've shot and hunted with 12 ga 2 3/4, 3", and 3 1/2" shells.

Took me 15 years and hundreds of dollars to realize. I kill more birds with the 2 3/4" 12 ga that the super dupper magnums. sort of figure that while the range might be longer kill zone with 3.5"; the reality is it just makes for more sky busting. If the duck is coming in the 2 3/4" is plenty..dead is dead.

Sort of noticed that most of the guys at the swamp that use the 3.5" shells are under 35.

It is actually getting difficult to buy factory 2 3/4" steal any longer.

My 20 ga cylinder bore BP flintlock works good also.

Comment

Where did you find sabre-toothed ducks?
                Wimachtendienk, Wingolauchsik, Witahemui

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, is a fool.
                He who knows not and knows he knows not, is wise.

Comment

The issue I have with 2 3/4" steel is you either have a small payload or a slow one. I made a triple once with a 2 3/4" #7 1/2 hevi-shot. Now if that stuff was reasonably available you wouldn't need the big 3.5's. Today hevi-shot is $2.14 an ounce! Ballistic Products sells two pound bags for $77.

My first Oklahoma duck hunt. We usually go to Arkansas or Missouri. I have only heard stories about OK so those birds were stirred from my imagination.
                  Endeavor to persevere.

Comment

Was near Ponca City, OK this weekend. Lots of geese but not as many ducks as we would have liked. We set up on a pond Sunday but the decoys froze in. Had a good time anyway.
                    Endeavor to persevere.

Comment

looks like you had a good time. Was it better than Arkansas or Missouri?

Comment

It had potential. We were early. 10 days from now it will heat up.
                        Endeavor to persevere.

Comment

Working...
                        X