Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How wet can a Win Longbeard shell get and still go boom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How wet can a Win Longbeard shell get and still go boom?

I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum to ask this question in, but I've been turkey hunting in some awful, miserably wet weather - without any luck lately and am beginning to wonder if it is time to buy some new shells? They appear to be completely sealed, but will they fire when (or if) the opportunity arises?

I think you do not need any fresh loads, if you didn't drown them (and even if you did they may still go off) there's no need for new. But all the same, take one or two and shoot 'em for a test.
    -Remote locations are cheap insurance.
    -There are two kinds of ships: Submarines and targets

Comment

Last October I bought a gun that came with two magazines full of 9mm Blazer ammo. I took it out to test fire and all it did was click. I don't recall how many times I tried but apparently I jacked a few rounds on the ground and didn't pick them up. Broken firing pin. Last week my son found two of them. He asked me what to do with them? I told him to shoot them. He seemed hesitant knowing they had been buried in the 72" of snow we had this winter over the last six months. They both went bang.
      Endeavor to persevere.

Call sign: Limp Wrist

Comment

It's time for new shells. Those are obviously cursed which is why you haven't needed to fire any of them. They were probably loaded in a plant that was built over an ancient burial ground for witches. You might be able to salvage them with an exorcism but it's probably cost prohibitive and the results aren't guaranteed.
        If it weren't for double standards, liberals would have no standards at all.

"Ammo and really good friends are hard to find in a gunfight so I bring them with me" E. J. Owens

Comment

Originally posted by Ozark Ed View Post
          It's time for new shells. Those are obviously cursed which is why you haven't needed to fire any of them. They were probably loaded in a plant that was built over an ancient burial ground for witches. You might be able to salvage them with an exorcism but it's probably cost prohibitive and the results aren't guaranteed.

Ed,

Have you been watching reruns of "The X-Files" again?

GC
          "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes, the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical."

'Thomas Jefferson'

Comment

I've had shotgun shells drown in water while in my duck lay-out boat, then even had them go unused for 2-3 years. always go bang. I've even shot 50+ year old paper shotgun shells with no problem.

Only problem I had was with some early steel duck loads in the 1970s. One old shell that had been duncked a few years earlier, when fired the ssteel shot stayed as one mass I actually shot at a greenwinged teal and saw the 'slug' hit the leg which leg fell in my deks while the bird flew away!

If judged by my son and neuphew, seems turkey hunters 'need' to get new fangled shells every year...new 'advantages'. every year, I inherit those 10 shell boxes with only 2 patterning shell missing...thanks kids.

Comment

Ed, I think you're right. I took the same shells out this morning and set up about 75 yards from where I saw a big tom roosting last week. Right at the crack of dawn, I heard a bizarre noise that couldn't have been more than 100 feet from me. I knew it was an owl but never heard such a racket. It stayed right there and answered every distant gobble and every call I made for the better part of an hour. (After googling SC owl species I found out that it was a Barred Owl - I never heard one before)

So I turned to plan B and decided to try a little 'Run and gun'. After hiking up a forest service road about 1/2 a mile, a gobbler answered my call, It sounded pretty far away so i would dash about 100 feet down the road to where there was good cover and call again. The bird answered and was definitely moving in my direction. After doing this about 5-6 times, I heard a horrible sound - the sound of a truck coming down the road towards me. The driver pulled up and excitedly told me that he just scared a tom away that was just strutting down the road just around the last corner. He was also happy to tell me that he saw it land on the next ridge and if I could somehow get over there he was sure I could get him.

Cursed shells! That has to be it!
              Last edited by OconeeMark; 04-08-2019, 20:00. Reason: Corrected spelling errors

Comment

Never underestimate the wrathful vengeance of the Hunting Gods.
                If it weren't for double standards, liberals would have no standards at all.

"Ammo and really good friends are hard to find in a gunfight so I bring them with me" E. J. Owens

Comment

Whom the gods will destroy they first drive mad.
                  Homo sapiens, [ˈhōmō ˈsāpēənz] Noun. An advanced primate characterized by a large brain which it seldom uses.

Comment

thats funny right there

Comment

Working...
                    X