Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handloaders

Hey all

I realize that most of us roll our own here and I just wanted to take a quick min to remind you all that if you are rolling a large quantity of handloads and handleing powder remember to keep your hands clean or wear gloves.

As we know powder is nitroglycerin based and can be absorbed thru the skin of your finger tips. Since nitro is what is given to heart patients you run the risk of dropping your blood pressure to dangerous levels. If you take heart meds as it is this can cause blackouts or worse.

If you don't take heart meds and absorb too much it can make you light headed, weak and blackouts. In short take care when reloading ya can't shoot when you can't get off the floor.

Take care Be safe Poacher.
    "Democracy destroys itself because it abuses its right to freedom and equality. Because it teaches its citizens to consider audacity as a right, lawlessness as a freedom, abrasive speech as a equality, and anarchy as progress". Isocrates

it's very strange, in fact I've never seen it before, to see blinders on the wrong end of the horse. I fear your narrow view of things will serve you poorly. "Ghrit"

Excellent post Poacher, I am a heart patient and I do dearly know what nitro can do to you. Take heed to this post as it shouldnt be taken lightly:wink: Jimmy
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v394/1dahunter/1staircav.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v394/1dahunter/patch.gif[/IMG]
    NAHC Life Member
    GOA Contributer
    [url]www.thedisabledlife.com[/url]

Comment

Actually, powder is based on nitrocellulose, cellulose treated with concentrated nitric acid.

Some powders, and I am not sure how many, but it is far from all, are what is called "double based powders", these do have small amounts of nitroglycerine added, but it is usually only 5-10%.

Comment

While powder is nitrocellulose and the base of it is nitric acid, nitric acid is also a base for nitroglycerin. and either way the containers of powder do say to minimize contact with skin. I'm sure this has somthing to do with the fact of the acid however safety first.

"Democracy destroys itself because it abuses its right to freedom and equality. Because it teaches its citizens to consider audacity as a right, lawlessness as a freedom, abrasive speech as a equality, and anarchy as progress". Isocrates

it's very strange, in fact I've never seen it before, to see blinders on the wrong end of the horse. I fear your narrow view of things will serve you poorly. "Ghrit"

Comment

I always wear disposable latex gloves when reloading. It makes bullets and cases easy to pick up and handle. Primers can also be handled easily without any fear of contamination. Also, if your hands perspire a lot it will keep your cases and bullets nice and clean and free from tarnish. It's not a bad idea to wear them when handleing and cleaning guns as well. It gives you a good grip and prevents the gun from slipping out of your grasp, also again it will protect the gun from any sweat. I was told that after wearing latex gloves for any length of time it's very important to wash your hands thoughly with a good anti bacterial soap because if your hands perspire in them bacteria can grow very rapidly and cause a fungus infection under and around your finger nails. This is a similar condition that can occour if your feet sweat in confining shoes. Bill T.

Comment

I find that I never come in contact with powder. It goes straight from the can into a measure. My concern is more with lead bullets. I'm either very careful when handling them and wash real good after, or wear the gloves like Billt spoke of.
            "Get off your computer and go load some ammo"

Welcome to California. Press 2 for English.

Comment

Bilt

I like the idea, I'll give it a shot thnx!. While Ihave never heard aboutthe fungus thing I can say that it's nice to wash your hands after wearing those gloves for awhile just to get the salt off of your hands. When I'm just handleing my guns I wear those white cotton gloves they are cheap and somthing between you and the gun.

Gunrunner

I hadn't thought to bring up the lead in bullets great post thanks.

Comment

After spending some time yesterday with a batch of fired 45 cases and getting burnt powder residue on my fingers I'm realizing I do touch powder. It's just been burnt up. Even with fired cases I try to minimize skin contact and wash good after.

How bad, or not bad, is the burnt powder residue as compared to the actual powder, as far as skin contact???
                "Get off your computer and go load some ammo"

Welcome to California. Press 2 for English.

Comment

Hi every one!

I my shelf enjoy touching and cleaningguns with my bear hands so much!

even more than shooting them .

I also washhands afterwards of course,

but handling guns and ammo with gloves, takes most of the fun away.

Besides I ve never heard of someone dieing from touching his gun or ammo.

Comment

I've been told by people who were supposed to be experts that handling lead bullets did not cause lead contamination, they claimed that the dirty fingers were caused by bullet lube. They said that lead was too hard to rub off on your skin. Burnt primer residue is supposed to be the problem, but I'm just taking their word for it as I'm not an expert on the subject.
                    NRA Endowment member
                    NRA Range Technical Team Advisor
                    TSRA member
                    NRA certified pistol coach-Retired
                    NRA classified Master, F-Class mid-range
                    Velocity is like a new car, always losing value
                    BC is like diamonds, maintaining value forever

Comment

I dont lick my fingers when casting,and I dont swim in a vat of powder.But it is good practice to keep your hands clean when loading.It makes the bang factor more reliable.
                      I was raised in the 50\'s on jackrabbits and gunpowder.salt and pepper wooda made\'em taste better

Comment

i wear mechanics style gloves whenever i do any reloading stuff. I started doing this once i started running bulk brass (5000 plus rds)and everything got REAL dirty

Comment

Don't forget tumbling media, the dust can be a No NO

Comment

Excellent advice guys I protect myself in the workplace why not on the loading bench.
                            DFBplinker

Comment

Don't reload just prior to traveling by air. My daughter stopped by to reload 357's prior to her flight, spilled a couple cases of powder, rubbed her hands off on her pants (farmer style), and after saying goodbyes, went to MPLS airport. The chemical sniffers picked up the scent of gunpowder and she had an interesting talk with an air marshall. We laugh about it now, but it was serious at the time.
                              OldmanFCSA & FAMILY....
                              "Friends are FAMILY you choose for yourself."
                              "OLD AGE AND TREACHERY WILL OVERCOME YOUTH AND SKILL"

Comment

Working...
                              X