Portable shooting bench needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable shooting bench needed

A rickety folding card table does not bring out the full potenial in my rifles. I would like to build a simple, portable shooting bench that I can take to the fields and woods. I've got a front rest and sandbags so all I need is a bench.

Has anyone seen plans for building such a device? I saw several free plans on the web, but they were getting into welding or costly iron pipe and fixtures. Seems to me some clever gadgeteer would have come up with a reasonably solid bench that can be made out of old lumber.

I'd be grateful for a couple of pics if you wish to share your own personal invention. Thanks for your consideration.

Rusty

I went to a local surplus store and picked up some 1/2" plexiglass and then I cut it out in the form of a T. I used a 2x4 on the top end of the T, drilled some pilot holes and bolted the 2x4 on using carriage bolts, same thing for the vertical part of the T. I went to Lowes and bought some flanges that pipe could screw into and drilled those on, screwed a 30' angle I think it was in them and spot welded those so they didn't move. Bought pipe the length I wanted put a double female connector on and those are my legs. It works won't say that I would take it benchrest shooting but it works pretty well. I also have another one but it uses a 1" metal frame.
    Hope this helps you.

Take care Be safe Poacher.
    "Democracy destroys itself because it abuses its right to freedom and equality. Because it teaches its citizens to consider audacity as a right, lawlessness as a freedom, abrasive speech as a equality, and anarchy as progress". Isocrates

it's very strange, in fact I've never seen it before, to see blinders on the wrong end of the horse. I fear your narrow view of things will serve you poorly. "Ghrit"

Comment

Poacher, thanks for sharing information about your bench. I'm collecting thoughts and may well incorporate some of your details.

Comment

Here is a pic of the portable, folding bench I use.

The three legged design is self leveling and the chains let me raise or lower either end. Rock solid, never flexes and lots of room for all the necessary "goodies".
        Dick

Comment

Clever looking rig. What is the construction of the top and legs? Looks like you might have used a heavy wooden door of some kind. How much does your bench weigh when folded up? Thanks for posting the good photograph.

Comment

The 3 main pieces are 3/4" plywood skins and 3/4 x 3/4 strips forming a type of torsion box construction.

As is it weighs about 60-70 pounds and the weight only helps with the stiffness. One guy can handle it with the handles I put on it and with two guys it's a piece of cake.

I plan on another one with 1/2" skins and thicker middle strips. It should be much lighter but just as stiff as this one.:wink:
            Dick

Comment

ss7mm schreef:
              The 3 main pieces are 3/4" plywood skins and 3/4 x 3/4 strips forming a type of torsion box construction.

As is it weighs about 60-70 pounds and the weight only helps with the stiffness. One guy can handle it with the handles I put on it and with two guys it's a piece of cake.

I plan on another one with 1/2" skins and thicker middle strips. It should be much lighter but just as stiff as this one.:wink:
              Is there no movement from the play in the hinges you used?

There almost always is a way to do things better, more often than not by simplifying.

Comment

No, it's rock solid. The bottom three points have metal corner protectors on them. When I first set it up on the ground I grab the rear leg and drag it a little to the rear. This sets the two front bottom points firmly in the ground. Then, with the rear leg on the ground, I kick slightly on the inside of the rear leg towards the rear and this sets the rear leg firmly in the ground and takes out all slack in the chains etc.
                Dick

Comment

ss7mm - I can't quite picture how your bench folds flat. It there some kind of a dogleg in the hinge area of the aft leg that allows it to fold over the top of the front leg?
                  MinotBob

Comment

The back leg is spaced down from the top so that it folds over the front leg.

Dick

Comment

Nice and neat. I like it.
                      MinotBob

Comment

I'm gonna tag this post just incase somebody comes up with an ideal for one that fits on a backpack and doesn't weigh more than about 50lbs.

By the way, nice set up.

Comment

I need one myself too, have tried on Google, but obviously have not used the right words-no match.

I would like to have a drawing of a shooting table, top made of thick plywood, legs made of thick-walled gas pipe.
                          There almost always is a way to do things better, more often than not by simplifying.

Comment

ss7mm - Do you have any dimensions available for your bench? How long are the legs? What is the size of the top? etc.
                            Thanks
                            MinotBob

Comment

MinotBob wrote:
                              ss7mm - Do you have any dimensions available for your bench? How long are the legs? What is the size of the top? etc.
                              Thanks
                              My email address is in my profile. Send me your email address and I'll send you a full set of pics with all dimensions.
                              Dick

Comment

Working...
                              X