No announcement yet.

Portable shooting bench needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pics of the CNC cut bench I mentioned in a post above! This thing is solid as a rock! Going to paint it with some really good redwood deck paint even though its exterior sanded plywood.
    Attached Files

Comment

Another view! Had one leg that was a quarter inch long they didn't set the machine up for.....was a 5 second fix LOL!
      Attached Files

Comment

Rockydog wrote:
        Sgt E, That's a pretty nice looking bench. Wonder if a person could make them and sell them at gun shows? Neat the way they are ambidextrous too. RD
        Rocky a guy would probably do well with them at gun shows! Not my design but wouldn't think it's patented or anything. We don't have enough gun shows around here to do it though.

Buds gun shop is down the street here....Getting a Gander Mountain...A Cabelas and already have a Sportsmans Warehouse...Will be gun shop and reloading supply poor by the time spring rolls around!

Comment

Caldwell Stable Table.

Comment

I too built one of the tables discussed in the above link. I added legs on all 4 corners that are adjustable in 2" increments. The legs slide up and down with a slot milled in them. A flat washer inletted into the slot allows keeps the leg from sliding once the leg is adjusted. That way I can use it on uneven ground when Prairie dogging. I'll try to get some photos up when the weather gets warmer.

Here's the link again: http://www.realitysurvival.com/free-...-design-plans/
            Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Comment

Made one of these the other night with the help of a buddy that has a heated garage. Took about three hours. Tracing out the lines was the hardest part. Used a 3 1/2" hole saw to make the lightening cuts. It sat flat in the garage, I was surprised by how stable it was. I am interested in the adjustable legs idea.

Comment

I can tell you one thing about this bench. Be very careful around the seat. I was using it doggin' and dropped a cartridge case on the ground. I was still nursing my bad knee at the time and as I bent down I reached out for the corner of the seat to steady myself. Due to the design and my hefty size the corner dropped and the seat flipped up toward me. I took it full in the face as I went down to the ground. Bent my glasses, smashed my nose, hurt like hell, knocked the rifle off the table and instantly ignited my rather vile temper (which I'm now normally able to control with advancing age). Let's just say that these benches are proven indestructable even when strewn across a quarter acre of prairie and some good friends, unfortunately, got to see my dark side. I'm still embarrassed about it. Before next year the seat will have a method of securing it. RD
                Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Comment

I bought one of the Caldwell Stable Tables. I'm reasonably satisfied with it. It works but is not totally stable. I used the original variation of this table about 12 years or so ago and it was much more stable, but it cost three times as much and was twice as heavy. They used to advertise and sell them in the varmint hunter magazine.
                  NRA Endowment member
                  NRA Range Technical Team Advisor
                  TSRA member
                  NRA certified pistol coach-Retired
                  NRA classified Master, F-Class mid-range
                  Velocity is like a new car, always losing value
                  BC is like diamonds, maintaining value forever

Comment

As promised I'll upload a couple of photos of some improvements I made to the shooting bench linked, in post 35, above. In this photo you can see the adjustable legs that I added to the bench. I purchased some fender washers that matched the diameter of a flat wood bit that I had. I drilled the holes only as deep as the thickness of the washers and then cut a 1/4" slot so that the legs can slide up and down after loosening the washers. The washers were soldered to the wing nuts so that I wouldn't have to pick them out of the wood each time I wanted to slide the leg up or down. Legs are made of the same 3/4" exterior AC as the bench as they are part of the scraps. Hence the rounded corner on the one piece.

You will also see a wood block in the photo that pins the Cross legs to the Center Board. If all four legs sat flush on the ground this block would not be needed. But once you raise a leg up the center board needs to be held tightly in the slot. The block and pin keeps the main pieces from sliding up and down. You can also see the sliding bolt that I added to the seat to hold it in place if you put pressure on an outside corner. Click image for larger version  Name:	004.jpg Views:	1 Size:	35.8 KB ID:	812219
                    Last edited by Rockydog; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

Here is a view with the LH rear leg sitting on the sloped apron of my driveway. You can see that it is sitting lower and that I have extended the leg to keep the table level. Sometimes on the prairie I need a notch that's 1/2 way between the one's that I have. I can usually just scuff the ground enough with the heel of my shoe to make the difference. Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	812221

Comment

A better view of the pin and blocks that stabilize the slotted pieces when the legs are lengthened. There is also a pair of blocks similarly situated on the front legs for the same reason. The front legs are also adjustable. If you look across the top of the seat you can see the front leg adjuster sticking up.

Click image for larger version  Name:	009.jpg Views:	1 Size:	21.2 KB ID:	812223

Comment

And lastly, a close up of the wing nutted washers. Also note the two notches that I added to the edge of the table top. This allows me to stand a rifle up with the bolt open to let it cool or walk away from the table without laying the gun on the ground or on top of the table.

. Click image for larger version  Name:	007.jpg Views:	1 Size:	11.9 KB ID:	812226

Comment

After pricing 3/4" plywood, I ended up getting this https://www.amazon.com/Keter-Folding.../dp/B001CWX26Y I may add larger plywood top, but it also fits in cabover camper or behind truck seat. It's extremely stable and being portable workbench, comes in handy on projects. I wish it was taller (42"), for working, but height is good for shooting, from folding chair. I may rig up some leg extensions, at some point.

I also picked this one for grandson (and for staging extra stuff) it also works as extra table for camping. I think it was $16 or so, on sale, with senior discount.
                            If we don’t speak out against the infringements of today, it will weaken our ability to stop the next infringements.
                            Since it took 26th Amendment to change voting age, expanding rights under 14th Amendment. Why doesn't same requirement, to restrict rights, extend to 2nd Amendment?

NRA Benefactor Life, NRA Ring of Freedom, NRA-ILA Partner in Freedom, GOA Patriot, SAF, Oath Keepers

Comment

Working...
                            X