This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE EMPTY COLLAR: In Memoriam

We are now up and running with The Empty Collar. It's a place to remember our departed canine friends in words and pictures. It's a good place to share with fellow dog people the memories, the joys, the adventures, and the sadness of living with Man's Best Friend.
    Homo sapiens, [ˈhōmō ˈsāpēənz] Noun. An advanced primate characterized by a large brain which it seldom uses.

Oh damn! Would like to post some stuff about Belle, my Choc Lab. Gone now since Oct 2016. Best dog either me or Mrs olyeller ever had. Born to hunt, she went nuts every time a firearm came out and could not understand why something wasn't there for her to get each time I shot.
    She had her hips crushed when she was still a rambunctious pup by me running over her. I was going about 2mph just pulling away from where we were building our house and she made a run at our Terrier/Chow mix, playing, right into and under the right front tire. I loaded her up and went went to the vet. She never whimpered, just waiting patiently until we got there. Vet had to take off about 2" of her right rear femur. Her body formed a gristle "hip joint" and she made a damn good three-legged dog. We nursed her to health with her staying in bed with us at night and me carrying her outside when she needed it. I never forgave myself for running over her even tho I couldn't have prevented it. Biggest heart of any creature I've known.

She and I became one in the short eight years she lived. Eventually, she developed pancreatic cancer and I had to put her down. We sat in the yard with her lying on her bed, stroking her head until she passed. Damn it hurts.

She still is out in the front yard sleeping.
    It's not that Democrats are so damned ignorant. Their problem is that everything they know is wrong.

Wimachtendienk, Wingolauchsik, Witahemui

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, is a fool.
    He who knows not and knows he knows not, is wise.

Comment

Poor Belle. I have heard 'run over' stories from many friends. Something you don't ever get over, even though it was an accident. Those final moments, when they drift away, are the toughest I have ever bee through. Deaths of relatives, divorce, nothing hits quite as that.
      Homo sapiens, [ˈhōmō ˈsāpēənz] Noun. An advanced primate characterized by a large brain which it seldom uses.

Comment

There is a serial killer on death row tonight, many years after he should have been sent to hell. He visited my home while I was away, but my wife and Vito were there. She is alive today because of him. We used to joke that I was not needed, as he took care of the situation very well without me. I will write about this later, but just doing this small bit has me unable to go much further right now. What a wuss!

(I hope the picture shows well. It was from a web page I used to run and may not show up too well. If not, I will fix it and post with the text I hope to do about him.)

Comment

Not wuss at all, I cried like a baby when they came out from my Belle's surgery back in 2014 and told us that the tumor was too big and it was wrapped around an artery. I had to tell them to put her down and do it while she's under, so she doesn't feel any more pain. Makes me tear up just thinking about it. Took us 4 years to decide to get another dog because of the emotional aspect of the whole thing. In January we drove to the Texas Hill country and picked up our new addition, and she's been a blast to have around.
          "Beware the fury of a patient man." - John Dryden

Comment

Originally posted by talltexan View Post
            Not wuss at all, I cried like a baby when they came out from my Belle's surgery back in 2014 and told us that the tumor was too big and it was wrapped around an artery. I had to tell them to put her down and do it while she's under, so she doesn't feel any more pain. Makes me tear up just thinking about it. Took us 4 years to decide to get another dog because of the emotional aspect of the whole thing. In January we drove to the Texas Hill country and picked up our new addition, and she's been a blast to have around.
            Well, now post a picture of you Hill Country pup. I'm in the Hill Country too.
            It's not that Democrats are so damned ignorant. Their problem is that everything they know is wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Plainsman View Post
              There is a serial killer on death row tonight, many years after he should have been sent to hell. He visited my home while I was away, but my wife and Vito were there. She is alive today because of him. We used to joke that I was not needed, as he took care of the situation very well without me. I will write about this later, but just doing this small bit has me unable to go much further right now. What a wuss!

(I hope the picture shows well. It was from a web page I used to run and may not show up too well. If not, I will fix it and post with the text I hope to do about him.)
              Looking forward to the story. Vito looks kinda like a Rottie i once had

Comment

In May 2010 my wife (girlfriend at the time) wanted to get a dog. I was all for that but she knew I wanted a hunting dog. She tells me she found a 3 year old chocolate Cocker Spaniel free to a good home. I told her my feelings about small dogs and how I did not want one and I would rather have a hunting dog. She searched heaven and hell to try and prove that Cockers are in fact hunting dogs. Huh, who knew. Most of you guys know how arguing with the wife goes. A couple of days later we get this Cocker. Sammy is his name. As time goes by he becomes a good friend. He followed me around when the wife wasn't home. Became a good brother to our GSP we got a couple of months later. He was always a healthy dog. We did have one scare a couple of years ago where he couldn't walk. Took him to an emergency vet and said he may have a tumor. Gave him some steroids and it went away. Vet said if the symptoms return it was most likely a tumor, which it never did and was figured to be an inner ear issue. Because if it he had a permanent head tilt. His primary vet thinks he had a stroke because he would slightly drag the rear right leg. Which is also the way his head tilts. Fast forward to Jan 2018. I was at archery league when my wife send a picture of him in obvious distress. She says he is having a hard time breathing. I get home and he is sitting an panting. My GSP looks nervous and is worried about him. Sammy lays down and you could hear the gurgling. Besides being a LEO I am also a Paramedic part time on a busy ground ambulance. I know what Pulmonary Edema (fluid on the lungs) sounds like, I know what causes it and I know it is bad. We call our Vet's emergency number and haul him to their office. The Vet listens to his heart and says "Oh my!" She knows my medical background and has me listen. Heart Murmur which she said is grade 5 out of 6. His heart sounded like running water. I also know this is bad. She said she would like us to take him to the Twin Cities but said she was concerned he would not have survived the 90 min drive. She said she wanted to give him Lasix to get the water off and Oxygen to make him comfortable. She said if he survives the night she would look into his heart farther but thinks this will be fatal. We left him there and returned home. 45 Min later she is calling me an telling me he has worsened and now has bloody fluid coming out his nose and she suggested letting him go. I had got called into the EMS job for duty so I had to tell my wife over the phone which sucked bad. I called the Vet back and while talking with her about what to do with him next, she said he just stopped breathing. He passed while I was on the phone with the Vet. We miss him so much. It has been 5 months already. Our GSP took it as hard as we did because he had never been an only dog. Life has moved forward. We will be adding a Vizsla puppy to our home later this summer. Thanks for reading.

Comment

What a story. Thanks for telling us. We never forget them, do we?

Comment

He probably deserved better than I. Such a great guy. I kind of took him for granted. I didn’t even realize until the end that he had been with me for over 10 years. Time flies, wish I would have had more time with this furry wonder. He was a gentle soul with people...some dogs, well any that tried to hump him not so much. There wasn’t anyone that met Iceman that didn’t love him.
                    Last edited by Ledslnger; 06-01-2018, 12:33.

Comment

Sorry for your lose.
                      Mtman714; A man can do no better then to leave a good garden patch. Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I'm old. I've had 7 dogs and had to see them grow old and felt the loss when it was their time. Each one was the best friend a man could want. Like you i wish I'd been a s good to them as they were to me.
                        Good judgement comes from experience,
                        and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.
                        Mark Twain

Comment

If you're an older dog-lover there's one thing for sure: You've known some fine friends in your time. And you've also experience a lot of heart ache. Seems like just yesterday that my Jack was a tiny package I could easily hold in one hand, but in a few days he will be eight. I hate the thought of how fast time flies.

Comment

Sorry to hear of your losses GSP4EVER and Ledslnger.

Comment

So sorry to hear GSP, they are so much of your life's and missed so much.
                              Mtman714; A man can do no better then to leave a good garden patch. Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                              X