Mosquito control at home.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mosquito control at home.

Ok, I am going to turn you guys onto something.

Minnesota guess what we have lots and lots of?
    Yes sir Mosquito's with all the rain we have em by the billions right now.

My buddy turned me onto this stuff last year. Have to tell you, this stuff works like magic.
    Just pray it in the area you dont want the bugs. You are bug free for up too two weeks.

Safe for pets and live stock. They use this stuff for parks.

My buddy uses a sprayer on the back of his ATV to spray it. I use a hand sprayer.
    Ether one works good. Last year I just used a one gallon sprayer to spread it.
    I picked this one up on a yard sale last fall so my productivity should increase.

You can get this stuff off Amozon.

Try it... you will not be disappointed.

The one real warning is to not use it by open water. It will kill all the fish.

Normal places let it dry completely before letting the animals back in. Just in case...
    Read the data sheet for your self, so you know what to expect.

"Enabling bad behavior does not bring about good behavior.
    It just dulls the shovel so its harder to dig out when you finally get around to it." Said by Me

Does it help with TICKS? I can't go outside without finding 2 or 3 crawling around on me. The just get high on deet.

Comment

Says it will on the label.

http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/...13R%20Comm.pdf

I use it primarily for Mosquito's. Its cool stuff, you spray out to the edge of a yard and you will not see a mosquito inside the sprayed area for two weeks.
      You step out side the sprayed area and you get ate up.
      Its like it creates an invisible wall that they wont cross or maybe they do and just die right away.

I guess it works like a nerve agent for bugs. Animals are tolerant of it but bugs are not.

It just dulls the shovel so its harder to dig out when you finally get around to it." Said by Me

Comment

AI is Bifenthrin, a synthetic pyrethroid. Basically a man made copy of plant derivative. Signal word is CAUTION, relatively safe, but follow the label and don't be an idiot...use the label like reloading data!

During application, I would suggest a long sleeve shirt, if the winds are variable, I also suggest a NIOSH approved respirator. You will absorb a lot more material through your lungs than through your skin. Toxic as all get out to bees, don't apply it to flowering plants. Kills fish and other water dwellers like there is no tomorrow, so don't let it run off in any manner.
        Concentrate your application to harborage areas... heavy foliage, sheltered areas on structures, and the like.

My personal favorite for mosquito suppression is a product called Dr. T's Mosquito Granules. It is simply cat litter (fuller's earth) impregnated with garlic oil, mint oil, and some other essential oils. Application rate I about 5 pounds per 4000 Sq. Ft. It will last about 3 to 5 weeks depending on conditions. Heavy rain within 24 hours or so of application will kill the effect, so watch the weather.

Don't have anything against Talstar, bought and used an awful lot over the years, but I do prefer lesser toxic alternatives, if there is one that is available and effective.

Talstar kills, but little repellency, Dr. T's doesn't kill, but very repellent.

I'd also suggest looking for breeding areas, standing water and such. Drop in a BT (bacillus thuringiensis) dunk, and it will stop mosquito reproduction by killing the mosquito larva. BT causes a nasty disease in mosquito larva, but harmless to almost everything else.
        "The fact that guns can kill another human being is the whole point. That\'s why they are so darn good at deterring violent criminals". Ann Coulter

Comment

Wow!!! this is a good example how rumors spread.
          A good friend came over two days ago with his Bob Cat to do me a favor. ( nice to have friends with Bob Cats.)

Any way, I had my Talstar set up out. I explained what it was and what it does.

Since then I have had no fewer than ten calls from people having Grad parties. Wanting to know if I could come over and spray.
          Rumor mongers I tell ya.. I have a bunch of rumor mongers for friends.:-)

Oh well have to pay it forward. All except that one guy.
          Never seen him help any one, but sure can ask for it.
          Thems the rules.

Comment

Speaking of rules, not to mention laws and regulation, bifenthrin is a restricted use product in the US under FIFRA definitions. If you apply it for someone else, whether for money of some other means of exchange, you need an applicator's license issued by your state, and likely a business license as well. You are doing structural pest management, (isn't ag, somewhat different rules and regs, depending on the state), and it can very likely bite you in the butt if you don't follow the laws and regulations. Most states, for instance, require liability insurance before issuing a business license. You can be fined and leave an opening for lawsuits against you by the famous "friend of a friend" type dealing.

Your decision, of course. Being an entomologist who spent over 30 years dealing with different aspects of the pest management industry did teach me a few things. Doing an act which leaves me open to fines and lawsuits isn't an activity that is high on my list of wanna dos.

Way too similar to reloading ammunition for a "friend of a friend", who shoots your reload in an obstructed barrel. Gun goes KABOOM. You didn't do anything wrong in the reloading, but manufactured ammo without a license, no insurance, and no way to prove you did nothing wrong. He sues you, wins, and gets everything.
            "The fact that guns can kill another human being is the whole point. That\'s why they are so darn good at deterring violent criminals". Ann Coulter

Comment

There are several remedies to protect yourself from those bloodsuckers. A mosquito spray is rather good but it's only effective for three hours or so. An anti-mosquito stick effect lasts four hours. If you don’t want to use chemical substances, try to choose natural means to get rid of mosquitoes such as lemongrass essential oil and other. In this article you will find everything about protecting from mosquitoes. Hope it will come in handy.

Comment

+1 on everything Charley said. I worked for a number of years as an applicator doing landscape pest control. Talstar works well but there's lots of generics available that can save some coin over buying the name brand. Something to be careful of before hosing landscape plants down with a pyrethroid like Talstar is that it'll also do a number on beneficial insects as well potentially causing unintended outbreaks of other pests like aphids.

I didn't work in an area that had much call for tick control but my understanding is that a common treatment for ticks in residential areas is to do "boundary" or "perimeter" treatments around the edge of the yard with permethrin. "Dragnet" or "Astro" was the brand we used at the time but there's generics available. Something to be careful of hosing the

Following with what Charley mentioned, one of the entomologists that worked for our company also stressed the importance of looking for breeding areas as well. He would tell us that even an empty bottle cap can hold water and breed mosquitoes so don't limit your search to large sources of water. And we also used BT dunks too for places that couldn't be drained but I can't remember the brand off the top of my head.

Comment

Be careful with permethrin, cats don't do well with it.

I use both the (Talstar generic) Bifenthrin and BT (granules), for mosquitoes and (tempo generic) beta cyfluthrin, for ticks.

I'm going to give Dr. T's Mosquito Granules a try.

When people ask about all the chips in local's windshields, I just tell them it's the mosquitos. This year the mosquitos, ticks, and black flies have been bad, moose and deer flies haven't really hit yet.

Deet works for short time, but you can't use it day after day, or it'll make you feel sick. You used to get 100% deet, now 25% is about as string as you get. Sawyers works good on clothes, but even then, day after day exposure, adds up.
                  Last edited by RobertMT; 07-09-2018, 20:54.
                  Columbia Falls, MT
                  If we don’t speak out against the infringements of today, it will weaken our ability to stop the next infringements.
                  Since it took 26th Amendment to change voting age, expanding rights under 14th Amendment. Why doesn't same requirement, to restrict rights, extend to 2nd Amendment?

NRA Benefactor Life, NRA Ring of Freedom, NRA-ILA Partner in Freedom, GOA Patriot, SAF, Oath Keepers

Comment

Retired after 30+ years in the pest management industry, finished up a an Associate Certified Entomologist, recognized by the Entomology Society of America , AKA EntSoc. Did a lot of teaching, training, and trouble shooting over the years, dealt with a lot of six and eight legged critters, as well as four legged mammals. If you are going to use a contact pesticide for mosquito management, as I mentioned above, ut it in harborage areas. Waste of time and materials (Dollars!) to apply it out in open areas where the mosquitos just fly over. If you are in a limited area, like a covered patio or similar, place a fan where the air will keep moving over you. Mosquitos really aren't that good of flyers, and a brisk breeze will move them away. I do like DR T's not perfect, but pretty good, and a relatively safe product (Don't eat it!)

Comment

Around here we do pretty well by just eliminating standing water (trash like old tires), I throw a few Mosquito Dunks into the lagoon every month, put attractant into the 2 Bug Shockers we run in the evenings. Pool stays well chlorinated.

Comment

I gotta say Dr. Ts worked quite well, thanks.
                        Columbia Falls, MT
                        If we don’t speak out against the infringements of today, it will weaken our ability to stop the next infringements.
                        Since it took 26th Amendment to change voting age, expanding rights under 14th Amendment. Why doesn't same requirement, to restrict rights, extend to 2nd Amendment?

NRA Benefactor Life, NRA Ring of Freedom, NRA-ILA Partner in Freedom, GOA Patriot, SAF, Oath Keepers

Comment

My solution was to move to the country, no mosquitoes. When I go to town, have to lay on the mosquito repellent.
                          "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

I literally used to get 10 mozzies bites at night. They were driving me crazy. A good friend of mine recommended me to get a Mosquito Trap ( https://www.gurureviewclub.com/best-...mosquito-trap/ ). I bought one as I can't stand Mosquitos. Yes it does attract Mosquitos and catches everything else. No bites anymore...

Comment

This year due to less rain and high heat the vampire bugs are well controlled with my Dunks and UV Zappers... early morning coffee and late evening drinky poo on porch does not draw many

I tend to leave many spiders and webs alone that are not across a walking path

I used to use way too much evil chemicals when we first retired to this rural location...damned near made my 2.5 acre micro ranch an EPA super fund site.... Scorpions, giant centipedes, German and other cockroaches, wasps, chiggers, ticks, fleas, spiders

I got a big 15 gallon electric sprayer and mixed some stupid concoctions...If 1 Oz per gallon was good than a cup to a gallon was better idea... and at the time some of the stuff was still on the market....

Dogs were impacted....showing signs of nerve agent ( I am a soldier at the time) twitching, runny nose....no auto inject Atropine on hand

Robins would lite on the yard to search for a worm and flop over DRT (Dead Right There)

took several years to adjust to living and MANAGING many problems with less environmentally toxic methods....surprisingly powdered Sulfur is very cheap and easy to dust the yard...good for chiggers, ticks and fleas..... I dust my ankles first and then, while mowing, drag a potato sack with a pound of it around the yards

strictly managing all the standing water on the property holds the Vampire bugs at bay occasionally we use a Deet product (Off) but mostly rely on UV zappers

BTW on wet (er) years with rain I find ANY container of water will foster Mosquitoes.... have several cross fences long since cut away... leaving the 1.5or 2 inch pipes in the ground from the chain link fencing...they fill with water and breed Vampires.....

All cast off tires are LONG gone
                              All Buckets around property turned over

In my opinion there is NO Safe Chemical remedy
                              Active managment is key and In out case quite a bit cheaper

BTW as a kid in 1963~1964 on Aberdeen Proving Ground Maryland on the Chesapeake bay I used to RUN ( with 15 other on base kids) in the FOG behind the DDT fogger the Army used to control Mosquitoes on Base.... Still love that smell...63 now and NO cancers...YET

Comment

Working...
                              X