scope keeps moving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scope keeps moving

The scope on my savage 308 keeps moving forward,scope rings fit, and they are tight, if i try to muscle the screws anymore i will strip the heads. Usually takes about 10-15 rounds to notice. Wonder if anyone has a fix. Thanks

Sanford, Try lining the ring halves with electrical tape trim with razor blade where the blocks meet and retighten the rings. RD
    Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Et Canis Manducare Canis Mundi

Comment

I've also seen some use one or two wraps of Teflon tape as well.
      "The fact that guns can kill another human being is the whole point. That\'s why they are so darn good at deterring violent criminals". Ann Coulter

Comment

Typical sign of crappy rings. I'd highly recommend you save yourself some headache and purchase a good set of rings/bases for you Savage. It will thank you for it with increased performance.

I'm a huge fan of the Burris Signature Series Zee-rings. They have inserts that are self aligning and will prevent scope damage if you muscle them too tight.
        We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.

~Ronald Reagan

Comment

SavageShooter wrote:
          Typical sign of crappy rings. I'd highly recommend you save yourself some headache and purchase a good set of rings/bases for you Savage. It will thank you for it with increased performance.

I'm a huge fan of the Burris Signature Series Zee-rings. They have inserts that are self aligning and will prevent scope damage if you muscle them too tight.
          +1, either that or lap the rings that you have. A new set of Burris Signature rings would probably cost less than a scope ring lapping tool. Brownwlls or Midway sell the lapping tool if you decide to go that route. Like Rockydog posted a single wrap of friction tape will work but that is what I would consider just a patch.
          NRA Endowment member
          NRA Range Technical Team Advisor
          TSRA member
          NRA certified pistol coach-Retired
          NRA classified Master, F-Class mid-range
          Velocity is like a new car, always losing value
          BC is like diamonds, maintaining value forever

Comment

I use Rosin powder and sprinkle a little on both halves and the scope body. I also agree with lapping, it doesn't take long to see if you have a good set of rings. Also, I torque and locktite (purple) all mounting screws.

Comment

swampshooter wrote:
              SavageShooter wrote:

+1, either that or lap the rings that you have. A new set of Burris Signature rings would probably cost less than a scope ring lapping tool. Brownwlls or Midway sell the lapping single wrap of friction tape will work but that is what I would consider just a patch.
              +2.

You should not need more than 20 inch pounds of torque on ring screws. Too much torque can cause insides of scope to bind. Wondering if that is the problem.
              If it was my rifle, I would go to a one-piece Weaver tactical base and four-screw tactical rings. I have changed my rifles over to the Weaver tactical base and screws. And they will not break the bank.

I am working on a Savage 110 for a friend. Scope problems. Has Weaver two-piece bases and BSA scope. Not good. I have switched to new bases and either Leupold or Burris rings. But the BSA scope does not fit as it is too short. Might go to the Weaver tactical bases/rings if friend wants to pay for them. He got the rifle for $35, that is correct, so he might not want to put anymore money into it.
              "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

Burris Signature Series Zee-rings or four-screw rings.

Lapping is not the way to go, it just removes more metal making it even looser.

My 375 pistol did the same due to heavy recoil. I found that masking tape inside the ring compressed and stopped movement forward.

You could lightly sand the flat parts of the upper ring halves. this lets the upper half pull down further. So many rings made in Asia without any real spec.

With a one piece weaver base, you can usually also add a third ring for more friction.

Comment

Some of the scope manufacturers are including inserts. I always use them. Have in the past used electrical tape.

Interestingly, I got a 30mm tube scope recently and did not see the enclosed inserts. I pondered a few milliseconds and decided the larger bearing surface of the 30 mm tube would not require inserts.

Don't believe it. Scope moved on first shot. Day at the range wasted because once it moves your day is over.

Looked all over Web for inserts. Think I found them at like 15 bucks a set, highway robbery, any one find them better priced post up please.

Then I found the ones included with the scope and my day ended peacefully.

Comment

Sanford, what rings are you using?
                    "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

Working...
                    X