Power ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power ring

What can be done to make the power ring on a scope turn easier? WD-40?

This one is really tough.

WD40 will break down rubber..Do not use it.
    There may be a set screw on it ..Did you check?

If i was to use something I think it would be a silicone spray..this will not collect dirt/dust or grime..Not all of the silicone's are the same though.
    Some contain very little of the stuff.

Comment

Maybe a lever? I've seen them on 3 gun ARs, a little pricey, but if you're handy something similar could be made, pretty quick.
      http://www.mgmswitchview.com/switchview-levers
      Columbia Falls, MT
      If we don’t speak out against the infringements of today, it will weaken our ability to stop the next infringements.
      Since it took 26th Amendment to change voting age, expanding rights under 14th Amendment. Why doesn't same requirement, to restrict rights, extend to 2nd Amendment?

NRA Benefactor Life, NRA Ring of Freedom, NRA-ILA Partner in Freedom, GOA Patriot, SAF, Oath Keepers

Comment

A friend of my Son turned the power knob and when it stopped, he kept trying to turn it.

The scope got REAL hard to move after that.

I just replaced it with a Weaver Kaspa. For Chinese junk so far it seems okay.

I also have a Leupold Vari-X-III that is TIGHT. Be interested in your solution.

I wonder if any lubricant, which by definition penetrates, would not eventually wind up inside the scope?

Comment

Did you just put the scope on or has it been installed for a awhile? I mounted a scope once and over torqued the rings, damaging the tube.
          "There\'s no such thing as a good gun. There\'s no such thing as a bad gun. A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys."

-Charlton Heston

Comment

This may work if you can't send it in for repair and nothing makes it looser.

Attached Files

Comment

another picture opened up..I was thinking you could take some butyl rubber or other rubber and coat the jaws for less slippage on the ring.
              The price is right at under a buck.
              http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-to...amp-69292.html

The only reason I purchased this today it so you can see it..and I was there getting a carpet stretcher and seen the clamp and thought HHHMMM someone Robert mentioned something like it.

Attached Files

Comment

I bet that's the 1st gen model.
                Columbia Falls, MT
                If we don’t speak out against the infringements of today, it will weaken our ability to stop the next infringements.
                Since it took 26th Amendment to change voting age, expanding rights under 14th Amendment. Why doesn't same requirement, to restrict rights, extend to 2nd Amendment?

NRA Benefactor Life, NRA Ring of Freedom, NRA-ILA Partner in Freedom, GOA Patriot, SAF, Oath Keepers

Comment

My Vortex Viper HS is very tight. I didn't experiment with any lubricant that might void the warranty. I added the Switchview Throw Lever & it is wonderful.

The magnification rings on my other scopes are not tight but I like the lever feature so much I'm thinking about adding one to all my variables. Sinclairintl.com has a one-size-fits-all throw lever to mount on any scope for just $22.99.

Erle

Comment

Sounds like the grease has stiffened. Put it in the sun for a while but don't overdo it...
                    Homo sapiens, [ˈhōmō ˈsāpēənz] Noun. An advanced primate characterized by a large brain which it seldom uses.

Comment

thanks guys, it is m bro' leupold. I vote to send it back, but he wants to use it this hunting season.

Comment

I have a vari-x II that is pretty damn tough to turn.

Comment

BEAR wrote:
                          thanks guys, it is m bro' leupold. I vote to send it back, but he wants to use it this hunting season.
                          Leupold, that explains it right there. There optics have always had tight focal and power adjustments, especially the older stuff out there. I think it has something to do with the old "O" ring seals maybe? Either way I'd be careful about what lubricating agents you use, don't want to dissolve the seals.

If he needs it for this hunting season probably best to wait, they're CS isn't the fastest in the industry. It usually takes me 3-4 weeks to get my glass back from them when I send them glasses in for alignment.

HBC

Comment

new scope.

Comment

Working...
                            X