vortex scope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vortex scope

I am in the process of getting a gun built and I have decided to go with a vortex scope , the 4.5 - 16 x 50 mm hs. long range scope . what I am looking for is if anybody here has any serious seat time behind one or knows someone whom has and I would like some honest opinions on how you feel it performs in the field. I used to be a leupold fan until the last one I bought they forgot to send the pipe wrench with it so I could adjust the magnification. thanks ahead of time hooterville

I try not to buy crap from china, but I just finished a R700 budget build in 243 Ackley Improved and topped it with a vortex HS-T 4-16.

I've only taken it out once to fire form brass, but I'm pleased with it so far. The glass is clear, has a fine crosshair( just my preference), turrets track perfectly. After some load development, I'll see how it does at distance.

Comment

ptaylortx, would you keep me up to speed on how the distance shooting goes and what I should and should not expect from said scope. thanks hooterville

Comment

I have Vortex Diamondback HP 4-16x42, BDC on my 30-06. I use it for dear and coyote with no problems. Been banged around a bit with no adverse results. I am comfortable with it out to 300, but will stretch it to 400 to try and tag a dog that won't come closer. I would but it again if I was in the market for a similar use scope.

But for a "long range" (i.e., 600+ yards) scope, I would not go with a Vortex. I have a Burris XTR II 8-40x50 that just destroys everything about the Vortex, other than price.
        Friends don't let friends shoot factory ammo.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
        -Winston Churchill

Comment

golong, thanks for the reply, I am a firm believer in - you get what you pay for , buy once cry once, you said [ the burris destroys everything about the vortex ] would you mind telling me what those points would be. at twice the money I would hope there is some quality differences. I am just trying to get some honest to god reviews and or someone to give me some opinions on some good medium to long range scopes that don't cost more than the rifle. I am gonna get this gun built, shoot it a few times and then gift it to my son. he is the one that shoots the long range stuff.

Comment

I don't have a standard Vortex Scope but I do have the Vortex SPARC II Red Dot on my AR. I love it and they have an outstanding warranty.

I work as an L.E.O. and a lot of guys at work have Vortex Viper or Diamondback Scopes on their personal rifles and I haven't heard any complaints. Although I don't know if they are doing any long range shooting.

That is one reason I went with Vortex when I got the Red Dot.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/content/vip_warranty

"Our VIP warranty is about you, not us. It's about taking care of you after the sale.

VIP stands for a Very Important Promise to you, our customer. We will repair or replace your Vortex product in the event it becomes damaged or defective—at no charge to you. If we cannot repair your product, we will replace it with a product in perfect working order of equal or better physical condition.

You see, it doesn't matter how it happened, whose fault it was, or where you purchased it. You can count on the VIP Warranty for all Vortex Optics riflescopes, prism scopes, red dots, rangefinders, binoculars, spotting scopes, tripods, and monoculars.
            •Unlimited Lifetime Warranty
            •Fully transferable
            •No warranty card to fill out
            •No receipt needed to hang on to

If you ever have a problem, no matter the cause, we promise to take care of you.

Note
            The VIP Warranty does not cover loss, theft, deliberate damage or cosmetic damage that does not hinder the performance of the product."
            “To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them.” – George Mason.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.
            Mark Twain

Comment

BPguy ,that warranty is just one of the reasons why I would purchase a vortex, as I have a diamond back already, and I also have leupolds and Nikons. at about the same price values and the vortex stands right there with them in glass clarity and quality so far.

Comment

hooterville wrote:
                golong, thanks for the reply, I am a firm believer in - you get what you pay for , buy once cry once, you said [ the burris destroys everything about the vortex ] would you mind telling me what those points would be. at twice the money I would hope there is some quality differences. I am just trying to get some honest to god reviews and or someone to give me some opinions on some good medium to long range scopes that don't cost more than the rifle. I am gonna get this gun built, shoot it a few times and then gift it to my son. he is the one that shoots the long range stuff.
                Things that stand out when I use it:
                • Clarity of the glass - it is the only scope I own (from cheap-o's to Leupold) that I ever picked up and said "oh, that is what people mean when they talk about clarity." A bunch of scopes look really good in the middle of the day, but low light / cloudy conditions is where it makes the difference.
                • 1/8 MOA adjustments for both windage and elevation. Adjustments are precise throughout the adjustment range, and every click is firm even with gloves (tension is adjustable as well), and the marks are easy to read when the rifle is shouldered.
                • More reticle choices - I have the F-Class MOA which is super thin and crisp so it does not cover the target down range even on my longest attempts.
                • Parallax is very forgiving which does not mean much once you are in position, but it helps me find the target much quicker.

As far as warranty, Burris has the "Burris Forever Warranty." No receipt needed, transfers to any owner, covers damage and defects that impact the performance (not appearance) of the scope. http://www.burrisoptics.com/customer-service/warranty

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
                -Winston Churchill

Comment

golong , thanks for taking the time to reply, that is what I am looking for , just straight talk on the product , good or bad. they all look good in a magazine, but you can't take em' for a test drive like a vehicle. thanks again hooterville

Comment

You should be able to find a gun store that will let you look through the optics. LGS here keeps a very large selection -- talking stuff that gets into the 5 figures, unboxed but in cases. They let you look through all of it, play with the turrets, etc.

I will also say that regardless of what you buy, I buy almost all of my scopes from Amazon.com. If you go to camelcamelcamel.com (yes, it is a real site) and put in the Amazon URL it will give you the price history. If what you are looking at has swings in the $50+/- range then that is a good indicator of it regularly running out of stock and Amazon dropping the price to entice people to buy on back-order. If you register with camelcamelcamel you can get alerts when the price drops and then place your order. Most of this stuff comes back in stock withing a week or 2. Anyway, just a thought if you are not in a hurry.

-Winston Churchill

Comment

golong, thanks for the info, I would have had to look that site up just to see if it was real, not that I didn't believe you , just would have had to see for myself, have never heard of it before. thanks again for your help, appreciated

Comment

I have a Vortex Viper 6X-24 and couldn't believe the clarity of the glass. I have it mounted on a .223Rem that I only shoot from a bench. I've let others shoot it and I get the same response every time 'Great gun, Awesome Glass.
                        Then there's the warranty. :thumbs:
                        I just picked up a deal from Midway on a 6.5X20X44mm with the 30mm tube for $329 for my new .308Win. It was a no brainer

Comment

papajoe222, thanks for your reply as I have gotten very good reviews from almost all people that have given me feed back, from this forum and others that I found out about by having bought one. I feel I am going to go ahead and purchase one as I have plenty enough rifles in the house for it to find a home if it just doesn't come up to what I think it should be. as always, thanks to all that replied . :thumbs:

Comment

I have 2. 1 on my AR and 1 on my Axis. Great so far. I have been noticing a fair number showing up on 3 gun matches and Long range stuff. I know they sponsor shooters but the pro's couldn't use them if they were bad. Have to win to keep their other sponsors.
                            Never drink down stream from the herd.

Comment

My only experience with a Vortex was my hunting buddy's 3x9x40 low end one. We were re-sighting in his 7mm Rem mag, he could not hit the same place twice. The scope had been on the rifle for one hunting season. The threads that hold the front glass to the tube striped out and the whole front of the scope came apart. Vortex did replace it, but my buddy took a deep breath and bought a Ziess. If its for plinking or rodents a low-end scope is fine but, for the hunt of a lifetime go with proven quality. Nearly all manufacturers have high-end models but why in the hell would you pay $1000+ for a high end Vortex when you can get a proven winner for @ the same price. It's just my opinion but if I have a choice between a $1000 Vortex and a $1000 Ziess I'm going with the Ziess. That being said when I'm in the market for more affordable optics I tend to buy Burris or Nikon. I have some of each and they have proven themselves over several years of rough hunting conditions. Leupold and Pentax have been good to me also.

Comment

Working...
                              X