What is the worst thing you've ever done to a scope? Leupold Wall of Shame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the worst thing you've ever done to a scope? Leupold Wall of Shame

Another member on here sent me this link in an e-mail. It's from the Leupold Wall of Shame. Hope he doesn't mind that I shared it.

https://www.americanhunter.org/artic..._campaign=0817
    Last edited by Rockydog; 08-19-2017, 10:45.
    Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Et Canis Manducare Canis Mundi

Interesting. I broke one in half clean as could be and to my complete surprise, it was replaced free. Not a Leupold tho.

Comment

Gosh I must live a charmed life. Worst thing I've done (so far) is drop my rifle from my treestand. It landed muzzle down in the mud about 4 inches deep. Put about a 1/1/2" scratch on the scope which was a Leupold 2 x 8 VXII compact. It was before daylight after about a 45 minute sneak into my stand on opening day. It was on a Browning BLR and I didn't have a cleaning rod so I had to find a .308 diameter straight stick to clear the muzzle. If this sounds familiar to you it's because the episode is in my short story in the Anthology volume 1. This part is actually true.
      If it weren't for double standards, liberals would have no standards at all.

"Ammo and really good friends are hard to find in a gunfight so I bring them with me" E. J. Owens

Comment

When I was very young and inexperienced I used the scope to turn in the Redfield rings. Bent the tube of course.
        NRA Endowment member
        NRA Range Technical Team Advisor
        TSRA member
        NRA certified pistol coach-Retired
        NRA classified Master, F-Class mid-range
        Velocity is like a new car, always losing value
        BC is like diamonds, maintaining value forever

Comment

I like the one with the bullet hole in it. He musta really ticked off the guy in the next tree stand over.
          It's not that Democrats are so damned ignorant. Their problem is that everything they know is wrong.

Wimachtendienk, Wingolauchsik, Witahemui

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, is a fool.
          He who knows not and knows he knows not, is wise.

Comment

Long time ago I was putting a Weaver 4 powder scope on my father's Remington 721 in 30-06. Didinot take rear sight off and in trying to get eye relief right I pushed the rear lense into the scope. Weaver was in El Paso then, sent it to them and fixed it. Still have the 721 and the Weaver.
            "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

Top this!

​WEAVER K4 pre-war. When scopes actually had cross-hairs.

Scope was​​ fogged up. I removed every thing that came off easily.

Looking through the tube, I still couldn't see any thing so I selected a long thin screw driver, long enough to reach the objective lense, wrapped it carefully in a soft clean rag and proceeded to clean and dry the inside of the objective lense. Now I could see clearly through the tube so I reassembled everything and carefully focused it at infinity.

What a ​​​deal. Now I could see CLEARLY, not a sign of any fog. Not a sign of any reticle.

Close inspection revealed It wrapped closely around the rag.
              William Waco
              First reload:
              .22 Hornet - 1956

Comment

Originally posted by williamwaco View Post
                Top this!

What a deal. Now I could see CLEARLY, not a sign of any fog. Not a sign of any reticle.

Close inspection revealed It wrapped closely around the rag.
                And with this revelation the spotting scope was invented!
                Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Comment

Worst I ever did............................

Dad's BAR, .308 Winchester. 1967 vintage, so has irons, and yes, I have them zero'd around 150 yards.
                  Due to the irons, see-through scope mounts (don't recall whose), integral bases so the base of the rings screw directly into the receiver.
                  Very short, countersunk, allen-drive mount screws.

After something close to 15 yrs of use, unknown to me, the screws had rusted.

Annual zero-check on the scope, I was having a heck of a time holding a group, wandering all over the paper after the 3rd or 4th shot.

I was really confused. Then I actually bumped the scope with my hand, and it wobbled, BADLY............................

The front base mount screws had both sheared off.
                  This let the scope whip around shearing off 3 of the 4 rear RING screws, which of course let it whip around worse.
                  I had put some 20-25 rounds through it, and once I replaced all the scope hardware, the poor thing was all over the place.

Simmons Whitetail Classic 4.5x14X, AO, about a 43mm objective, about 10 yrs old.

I sent it to Simmons, with a letter explaining the above, and expected nothing really (except to need to buy a new scope), also the Whitetail Classic line had been eliminated.

Some time later, I received in the mail, at no expense to me, a Simmons 44 Magnum line 4x12X side-parallax adjustment, brand spanky new riflescope
                  That scope is now around a decade old, and doing fine work atop that BAR.

Comment

Holy cow.................. #4..................... just,, oh wow........................... LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

i thought i was hard on stuff! did not see my one redfied 3x9 in there. wow i feel better about the abuse i put things through, 86

Comment

Originally posted by Rockydog View Post

And with this revelation the spotting scope was invented!
                        that is an idea from heaven, wow worth a try and telling some frinds. 86

Comment

weaver was very good back in there day, fogging was a big problem and cost us a lot deer & elk. 86

Comment

I put a cheap Simmons on an H&R Handi-rifle chambers in 500 S&W....

Asked Savage Shooter what happened...... LOL
                            "I am, therefore I\'ll Think."- John Galt "Atlas Shrugged"

"Arguing with a Marine is like wrestling with a Pig. Everyone gets dirty, but the Pig loves it."

Comment

Originally posted by Mortis View Post
                              I put a cheap Simmons on an H&R Handi-rifle chambers in 500 S&W....

Asked Savage Shooter what happened...... LOL
                              A cheap Tasco lasted 4 shots on my 45-70 Handi Rifle. Reticle moved to 45 Degrees and the scope rattled if you shook it.

Comment

Working...
                              X