Scope Creep – How to reduce/eliminate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scope Creep – How to reduce/eliminate

I have a very nice Leopold scope that sits on top of a 500 Smith and Wesson Magnum that when fired a few times, the scope wants to move. I’m using Warne X-high stainless-steel rings and there's no chance the rings are too big for the scope. They fit. I have also ordered another set and they will arrive soon.

I have the proper torque on the lower and upper screws and both rings and respective screws were installed IAW the directions. The rings themselves have a steel bar/elongated pen that helps things from moving on the weaver rail and that is installed on each of them IAW directions. The base of both rings (and pins) are solid and doesn’t move where it contacts the rail at all.

The movement will occur at the top...where the scope meets the ring. I have the scope ends mounted flush with both rings (acting like a stop brace) already. I’ve also applied a conservative amount of blue loc tite inside each ring surface then set the scope and torqued to 25lb per directions. The screws do not have loc tight nor is there any issue with any of them coming loose on the scope.

Just short of welding, what have you done that seemed to work? Seeking more the “experienced that” route and not hypothetical scenarios, please.

Thank you kindly in advance.

PewPewPew

I have a 375winchester Contender. I use three Weaver rings and have a small piece of double sided tape (adhesive on both sides) in the bottom part of each ring.

Comment

Originally posted by BEAR View Post
      I have a 375winchester Contender. I use three Weaver rings and have a small piece of double sided tape (adhesive on both sides) in the bottom part of each ring.
      That is an excellent idea. I'll level it up, pin it in with one ring and try the tape. Thank you, Bear!

Comment

Also lapping the rings should true them up and make them hold better.
        Not as Lean, Not as Mean, but still a Marine!

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -- Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Snuffy View Post
          Also lapping the rings should true them up and make them hold better.
          I'll give that a go, also. Thank you very much.

Comment

I've heard of people using resin under their rings to give it a 'grip' but the two sided tape should do that as well. I like the lapping idea, that will make those rings fit like a glove when done right.
            We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.

~Ronald Reagan

Comment

I would try the Weaver Tactical 6 screw rings. I use those but not on anything like the 500 Mag. Mainly rifles and they work great.
              "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

Double back tape will change the ID, that not the better solution.
                Lap 3 rings and I'd recommend rosin with an "O", coat the inside of both top and bottom ring.
                Just before tightening up move the scope back and forth and rotate until you start to feel the rosin start developing friction, just like brake shoes

Also, if you can mount the scope up against a scope ring to prevent the scope from moving forward.

Best of luck
                BallisticBRYAN
                Last edited by BallisticBRYAN; 12-05-2017, 14:59.
                BallisticBRYAN

Wisconsin Hunter Safety Instructor
                Started reloading with my Dad at age 10(1977)
                It was my Father\'s Olds! Restoring a 1956 Olds 88

Comment

Just thoughts, lapping will remove metal and make the rings less friction. A few ring manufactures supply some double sided tape with rings.

My mount lets me use 3 rings, does your base have enough room for 3?

Comment

Double stick tape does change the diameter, but it will grip like crazy if you get the fabric type. I am not a fan as it makes a mess if you ever need to reposition the scope, but it does work.
                    Don't hug your press. It just wipes the grease off.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
                    -Winston Churchill

Comment

Just thoughts, lapping will remove metal and make the rings less friction.
                      Lapping the rings will create more bearing surface. More bearing surface creates more friction and more holding strength.
                      Not as Lean, Not as Mean, but still a Marine!

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -- Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Snuffy View Post

Lapping the rings will create more bearing surface. More bearing surface creates more friction and more holding strength.
                        Lapping the rings should be a must, not doing it will cause ring marks, I have a scope level on my scope touching the ring, its there incase I take it off and wont have to adjust for eye relief again

Comment

Just thoughts, lapping will remove metal and make the rings less friction. A few ring manufactures supply some double sided tape with rings.

My mount lets me use 3 rings, does your base have enough room for 3?
                          Yes, I think I could get 3 in there

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input. I've made note of your suggestions and I will try each one if the previous one fails. Right now I'm trying the dual sided tape solution.

Rationale:

I went to my local Lowes and picked up some of the "red" double sided tape. The tape claims to hold 30lbs continuously so math, math, math... I guess it shouldn't have an issue with a momentary punch in the face.

Methods:

I first pre-marked my rings & scope with a pencil in the location where the scope is sitting perfectly level to the gun. I disassembled and mounted the 1" tape on each half of the rings and trimmed to fit. I peeled the last backing off the marked ring and set it against the marking on the scope and pressed firmly. Everything lined up nicely and finished up the remaining rings this way.

Testing:

110 rounds of 350 grain 500 Magnums over 3.25 hour period

Results/Observations:

- The scope didn't budge, not even a wiggle. In fact, I torqued the rings a little light (not sloppy because I hate to think I would be picking my Leopold off the ground busted) because of the offset the tape introduced during assembly. At the completion of testing, a couple of the top ring screws were noticeably looser than what they should be (free turning with an allen wrench) but not all of them.
                            - Everything was still level
                            - Over night, the dual sided tape "oozed" out each side of the ring a little. I suspected this was from the tight tolerances already there to begin with. Even after the oozing, not a wiggle.
                            - Everything sat inside over night and was tested outdoors at 28 degrees (which made for a cold trigger finger) . Since the rings are steel, I'm interested to see how this solution handles Kentucky humidity in the summer.

So far, the double sided tape seems to have enough balls to handle the 500 recoil- and it has a bunch. It broke a wood grip in my hand after 30 rounds when I first got it. If this solution fails later on, I'll come back to this thread and update it. Otherwise, this is working.

PewPewPew

Comment

I would use some Blue(242) Loctite, still allows easy screw removal, but prevents screws backing out.
                              Columbia Falls, MT
                              If we don’t speak out against the infringements of today, it will weaken our ability to stop the next infringements.
                              Since it took 26th Amendment to change voting age, expanding rights under 14th Amendment. Why doesn't same requirement, to restrict rights, extend to 2nd Amendment?

NRA Benefactor Life, NRA Ring of Freedom, NRA-ILA Partner in Freedom, GOA Patriot, SAF, Oath Keepers

Comment

Working...
                              X