Optics Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optics Opinions

Help me out. Brand new to long guns, so I am a novice. Been shooting many calibers of handguns, lever guns and coach guns, but I just moved into the .223/5.56 rifle caliber. Specifically, a Ruger Mini 14. I know i’m going to get some grief about scoping a ranch gun, but these old eyes are to the point where they need some help at distance.

i need some advise on what power of optic will work best on this rifle and give good results as far as accuracy. Single power or adjustable lens? Thinking about 2-7x30 or 3-9x40, 4-12x44. Would I just be wasting my $$ on a fixed power scope.

i do not hunt, just looking to shoot at the range punching paper and ringing some steel. I’ve researched it quite a bit, to the point I’m confused now. Shooting at 100yds and 200yds Not looking at any of the high dollar optics. Most likely stay with something in the budget range from Vortec, Nikon etc.

Any input will be appreciated.
    “It’s better to have a gun and not need it, rather than need a gun and not have it”

.380, 9mm, .38, .357, .45acp, .45 long Colt, .454 Casull, .223 / 5.56

Black Powder .44 Cap and Ball Revolvers

NRA RSO
    Concealed Handgun License

I'm right there with you on the eyes and the need for optics. I personally prefer variable power scopes. It's due to an innate desire to have choices. My AR wears a 2-7 VX-II Leupold compact. My hunting rifles have 3-9 Nikon Monarchs. The extra magnification on the hunting rifles really does help at 200 yards and beyond when trying to shoot smaller groups. If you're just ringing steel I don't think it will make a lot of difference, but if you're trying to shoot small groups then for me I'd want the higher magnification.
    If it weren't for double standards, liberals would have no standards at all.

"Ammo and really good friends are hard to find in a gunfight so I bring them with me" E. J. Owens

Comment

Very good, i’m in agreement about variable power, but I noticed the view clarity at low power settings. Is there any need to go above 9x if all I’m shooting is between 100 to 300 yards on the range? And yes, i’d like to attempt to shoot small groupings at some point. Not good enough for match type of shooting, just the personal satisfaction and checking the validity of my hand loads.

Thanks, Jay

“It’s better to have a gun and not need it, rather than need a gun and not have it”

NRA RSO

Comment

I would go Leupold 4-14. Yes it is worth it to go above 9X. 4-14 will meet what Ozark talks about.
        Leupold scopes fill all my needs. There are other good scopes but I have been using Leupolds for around 45 years. No sense changing since it isn't broken.
        "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

If you want to see your hits at the range, I think you will need 20 to 25x to readily see .223 holes on non-reactive targets at 200 yards, and that power + reactive targets to see those small holes at 300 yards. The alternative is scope + decent spotting scope + heavy tripod. You can pick up a Leupold SX-1 Ventana 2 in a 15-45x60 spotting scope for under $300 if you are willing to shop around/wait for a sale.
          Friends don't let friends shoot factory ammo.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
          -Winston Churchill

Comment

For me anything over 12X is to much. I don’t shoot long range like some of the guys on here 100 yards most of the time. 12X is plenty at that range. 9X is not a handicap. Leupold is the best brand for the money. If you just want a low budget scope you can find some deals on Amazon.

Comment

I'll go a different direction, go with something in 2-7x range or my preference 1-6x~30mm. Unless your mini 14 is way more accurate, than most, lower powered scope is plenty and you retain much of the handiness, you bought mini-14 for. I like the "shotgun" style scopes with circle reticle or heavy duplex with lighted dot, for quick shots under 300yds. I have most of my "play" ARs equipped this way or with red dot style optics. It's not hard to hold inside moa @mid range and real fun with reactive bouncing targets.
              Last edited by RobertMT; 12-11-2017, 22:41.
              Columbia Falls, MT
              If we don’t speak out against the infringements of today, it will weaken our ability to stop the next infringements.
              Since it took 26th Amendment to change voting age, expanding rights under 14th Amendment. Why doesn't same requirement, to restrict rights, extend to 2nd Amendment?

NRA Benefactor Life, NRA Ring of Freedom, NRA-ILA Partner in Freedom, GOA Patriot, SAF, Oath Keepers

Comment

I thing a 3-9x40 is about all you need on the mini 14. I use a similar scope on my .223 TC Contender for plinking and shooting prairie dogs at 100 yds or so. I had a 6-24x44 on it but it looked ridiculous. I might consider a 4-12 X 40 on it. I had a 4-12 x40 Vortex Crossfire on my AR that works nice too. RD
                Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Et Canis Manducare Canis Mundi

Comment

Whichever you decide on get something with a 30mm tube.
                  Bottom line is bigger tube, more light comes through and the older you get the more light you need!
                  Salt&Light

WOODSMAN777

Comment

I just put a BSA 1-4 with 30mm tube on my light weight AR. it was to much weight on top. It is a decent scope, clear and seemed solid. Adjusted to POI easily. I can't speak to the long term durability. But the first thing that I noticed was the weight. at 14 oz it changed the way the rifle handled. Amazon had it on sale when I bought it for $49. I swapped it out for red dot.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

Thanks for all the input, i’ll take it all into consideration. I am leaning towards a good buy on a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 rig. My only concern is the size of this scope stuck on top of a mini 14. Hope it will not look ridiculous or make the rifle unwieldy to handle. The lower power scopes with 30mm tubes, sounds intriguing.

I can already see that getting into rifle optics can lead to an addictive obsession that results in a gun safe full of optics!!

NRA RSO

Comment

I have half dozen of these, https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Zone...dp/B00ABPAAPY/ they're better suited for longer range and are pretty heavy. These are much handier for closer and you can still reach out if needed, weight is more than some, but not unwieldy https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Illu.../dp/B00AU6EIIY There are better prices available, I didn't pay near these prices, watch for sales.

The problem with these type of scopes, they have real short tubes and limited mounting options, best deal for decent mount currently http://www.cabelas.com/product/WEAVE....uts?slotId=12 looks like they're sold out of 1" now
                        Columbia Falls, MT
                        If we don’t speak out against the infringements of today, it will weaken our ability to stop the next infringements.
                        Since it took 26th Amendment to change voting age, expanding rights under 14th Amendment. Why doesn't same requirement, to restrict rights, extend to 2nd Amendment?

NRA Benefactor Life, NRA Ring of Freedom, NRA-ILA Partner in Freedom, GOA Patriot, SAF, Oath Keepers

Comment

Robert those, Bushnell Optics Drop Zone-223 BDC Reticle Riflescope with Target Turrets and Side Parallax, Matte Black, 4.5-18x/40mm, at $90 are a very good scope. I don't own no friggen Ar MSR; but they work fine on my 222 turn bolt rifle.

Comment

Thanks Robert, i’ll take a look at the Bushnell product line. So many choices, guess you just have to jump into the deep end!!

NRA RSO

Comment

I have a 3-9x32 on my RRA. Short is great, but eye relief is a challenge given the mounting location. If the 24mm Robert linked really has a 3.6" eye relief, it may be a decent option if you are trying to get something that fits the short profile.
                              Friends don't let friends shoot factory ammo.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
                              -Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                              X