No announcement yet.

Optics Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well guys, I think that I got took on myEbay auction. The Nikon Buckmaster is not what I thought it was going to be. Maybe someone here can help me understand what I am looking at with this scope.

First of all it came with flip up lens caps that I have nor use for, so off they came. Glued on to boot! So looking at the eye piece end, it appears that something is missing. Don’t most scopes have an objective focus right at the end or is this optic different. Also, what is the round ring looking device that came clamped around the tube. What purpose does it serve. I will get it mounted up and give it a try soon, but i’m confused by the configuration of this rifle scope. I’d appreciate any information about this unit.
    “It’s better to have a gun and not need it, rather than need a gun and not have it”

.380, 9mm, .38, .357, .45acp, .45 long Colt, .454 Casull, .223 / 5.56

Black Powder .44 Cap and Ball Revolvers

NRA RSO
    Concealed Handgun License

Comment

“It’s better to have a gun and not need it, rather than need a gun and not have it”

NRA RSO

Comment

The focus lock ring, is the knurled ring just behind the power change ring. Holding rear eyepiece firmly, turn lock ring clockwise, it'll move toward front of scope, allowing you to turn rear eyepiece to focus, then turn lock/set ring back to lock focus.

The extra ring that was on scope, is extra ring to mount scope, unless you have matching base for it, I'd just leave it off, seller simply didn't bother removing it.

Some goo-gone will remove glue left behind by end caps. Hopefully you didn't pay much for scope, new upgraded version retails ~$100.

ETA
        Don't loosen rear eyepiece too far and break scopes seal.
        Don't get goo-gone on lenses, it'll likely effect coating.
        Last edited by RobertMT; 12-18-2017, 11:29.
        Columbia Falls, MT
        If we don’t speak out against the infringements of today, it will weaken our ability to stop the next infringements.
        Since it took 26th Amendment to change voting age, expanding rights under 14th Amendment. Why doesn't same requirement, to restrict rights, extend to 2nd Amendment?

NRA Benefactor Life, NRA Ring of Freedom, NRA-ILA Partner in Freedom, GOA Patriot, SAF, Oath Keepers

Comment

The Buckmaster has changed a bit over the years. Do you have a photo of the engraving on the bottom of the scope - I think it should say 3-9X40 followed by the serial number, followed by made in...
          Also, is the Nikon and other markings in gold or silver (hard to tell from the photos).
          Friends don't let friends shoot factory ammo.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
          -Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by RobertMT View Post
            The focus lock ring, is the knurled ring just behind the power change ring. Holding rear eyepiece firmly, turn lock ring clockwise, it'll move toward front of scope, allowing you to turn rear eyepiece to focus, then turn lock/set ring back to lock focus.

The extra ring that was on scope, is extra ring to mount scope, unless you have matching base for it, I'd just leave it off, seller simply didn't bother removing it.

Some goo-gone will remove glue left behind by end caps. Hopefully you didn't pay much for scope, new upgraded version retails ~$100.

ETA
            Don't loosen rear eyepiece too far and break scopes seal.
            Don't get goo-gone on lenses, it'll likely effect coating.
            Just as I thought, the scope is an older version Buckmaster. I did pay to much for it, EBay auction at $95 bucks. My lack of experience with this type of equipment, bit me on the ass. Should have done a bit more research.

At at least I now know about the lens focus. The glue is some kind of epoxy, not sure goo be gone will get that. Guess I cold just shove the lens covers back on, even though I have no need for them.

NRA RSO

Comment

Jay, Sorry to wade in on this too late.

NEVER buy a used scope. Scopes 'inerds' go bad, so people dump them. Also NEVER buy a 'Reconditioned' scope.

BUY new from a registered dealer, get receipt and warranty.

Getting a "bargain" is seldom if ever a bargain. When someone's rig starts to shoot terrible, the routine is clean, then Tighten all screws, then change scopes. There is a reason for this 'change scopes', Scopes...esspecially cheap and used scopes go bad. They seldom just go blurry or just black-out...the mechanicals inside go bad and they don't adjust properly and/or they change their adjustments when they get recoil.

If your scope is bad, junk it. Most people just sell bad scopes on ebay or at gun shows; giving pain to the next purchaser (like the guy that sold it to you). You could try to send it back to the mfg...good luck with Nikon.

If it is bad, chalk it up to 'education' and then buy a Leupold and get on with enjoying your new rifle.

Comment

Check this out, old school shade tree mechanic kinda stuff. Appears to get close enough for hand grenades!! Picked this tip off a YouTube video.

NRA RSO

Comment

Originally posted by BEAR View Post
                  Jay, Sorry to wade in on this too late.

NEVER buy a used scope. Scopes 'inerds' go bad, so people dump them. Also NEVER buy a 'Reconditioned' scope.

BUY new from a registered dealer, get receipt and warranty.

Getting a "bargain" is seldom if ever a bargain. When someone's rig starts to shoot terrible, the routine is clean, then Tighten all screws, then change scopes. There is a reason for this 'change scopes', Scopes...esspecially cheap and used scopes go bad. They seldom just go blurry or just black-out...the mechanicals inside go bad and they don't adjust properly and/or they change their adjustments when they get recoil.

If your scope is bad, junk it. Most people just sell bad scopes on ebay or at gun shows; giving pain to the next purchaser (like the guy that sold it to you). You could try to send it back to the mfg...good luck with Nikon.

If it is bad, chalk it up to 'education' and then buy a Leupold and get on with enjoying your new rifle.
                  I agree with your thoughts on used scopes. Indeed, I’ll consider it a lesson if this scope does turn out to be a dud. I’m “usually” a pretty savvy buyer of used items, but i’ll be the first to admit that I have no experience with rifle optics. Hopefully I didn’t get burned.

NRA RSO

Comment

All my rifles are strictly for hunting so my opinion dont really matter a lot but on my rifles are Swarovski scopes. Its really hard to beat them and their customer service is really awesome. Usually Cabelas puts theirs on sale around February-March and you can find a great scope at a good price. I have a pair of binoculars that are probably 20 yrs old and lost an eye piece in Alaska. My fault not the binoculars. I dreaded the phone call but called them and they sent me a new one for free. The clarity is unbelievable. Im sure there are as good in other brands as well. Leupold, Zeis, Swarovski and several others are all quality glass. Sorry you got bit on eBay. It happens sometimes.

Comment

Working...
                    X