X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BEAR
    replied
    Thanks again Robert.

S&K mounts are USA made, in Sugar Grove. they are very close to where I hunt groundhogs. Think I'll stop down when the weather breaks. They started the company making non-gunsmith scope mounts for mil surplus rifles in the 1960s. I should have thought of them.

Use to shoot the M1 carbine in competition, they were not legal to hunt with. But they are now; thinking it would make a nice eastern coyote rifle; I seldom get shots beyond 90 yards.

Leave a comment:

• RobertMT
    replied
    From what I could tell, Brownell's $70 mount from Q&A "S&K Scope Mounts (PA) - do not have certification to show country of origin." is most likely expensive Chinese made too. Since S&K is a PA company, you might be able to find contact info and ask them directly.

From descriptions and reviews, it seem both mounts have two parts, part that fits in rear sight dovetail and upper part with rails, set screw holds them together. Since both are aluminum, strength could be issue and I hear you about cheap Chinese knock offs, you're comparing $14 (in stock) to $70 (back order) and opticsplanet has decent return policy, except $14 part, by time you shipped it back, might as well toss it.

It seems part could be made on mill or CNC, out of steel, someone might already make them, price could be another issue. Part that fits in dove tail, could be made by hand, out of steel, drilled and tapped, to attach top rail, if person had $14 pattern to work off of.

Leave a comment:

• BEAR
    replied
    Good thought Bobert, thanks. My eyes seem like yours.

I looked at Leapers, seemed ok, certainly reasonable. Leapers appears to be made/sold now by UTG. I've had serious quality problems with UTG in the past and consider their stuff junk, made in China.

It is tough to fine where stuff is made. The last (and final) scope base I bought from UTG said "Made in USA" on the package exterior, but after I opened it, on the bottom was a tag that said "Made in China". It was so far out of spec that it was unusable, and I thought the package labelling was unethical if not illegal. I couldn't use it, and returned it to the LGS. They continued to maintain that it was quality American Made even after I showed them the label.

The Leapers has only one screw holding it on...was wondering if one had an integrat dovetail, it might be stronger. the 30 cal Carbine doesnt recoil that much.

Still looking, but have ruled out the scout style mounted on the handguard.

Leave a comment:

• RobertMT
    replied
    I've shot a rifle, with a scout mount before, reticle was outside the focus range, of my glasses. Like trying to read, with seeing glasses on, if you can see at that distance, without using reading part of glasses, many like scout type sights, if you have to use bifocal or reading glasses, to use scope, it kind of defeats purpose.

Leave a comment:

• BEAR
    replied
    I have a 1-4x Leupold on my 416 mag; think I could borrow that till I need the big gun.

Seems there are no drill scope mounts that mount in the rear sight dovetail AND some that attach to the front upper handguard sort of Scout mounts.

Leave a comment:

• RobertMT
    replied
    Couple options
    Cheap https://www.opticsplanet.com/leapers...s-mnt-m1c.html most reviews seem OK, but seems like longer set screw and maybe Loctite required, as per couple reviews.
    Better quality? but out of stock. https://www.brownells.com/optics-mou...prod12461.aspx

If it was me, I'd take chance on cheaper mount, use longer set screw and Loctite. I'd use either small red dot or 1x4 small scope.

Leave a comment:

• BEAR
    started a topic Scope mount for M1 carbine

Scope mount for M1 carbine

I have a mil M1 Carbine 30 cal. eyes are bad, need some glass.

Any thoughts on mounts and scope welcome.
Working...
X