Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Since I can't get to the range I ordered a collimating bore sighter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Since I can't get to the range I ordered a collimating bore sighter.

I looked around at various boresighters and decided on the Bushnell. It got a decent review here, albeit not the "best". What appealed to me was the ability to use it off-range, at home, no batteries required, it does multiple calibers, and it's been around forever - a tried and true design. It's certainly not cheap, though.
    Even this shall pass.

I have been using one for a lot of years. If the distance between center of scope and center of bore is 1.5" works great. Other distances not as accurate but works to get into general area.
    "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

Originally posted by DesertMarine View Post
      I have been using one for a lot of years. If the distance between center of scope and center of bore is 1.5" works great. Other distances not as accurate but works to get into general area.
      Yeah, I tried it on my 9mm carbine and it was a no-go; sights are too high.

I started from scratch with the 308, reinstalling the scope with Burris Pos-Align Inserts, then bore sighting. It went well although it did take a while, not having a proper vise to lock in the level meant checking and double checking and readjusting as necessary. Nevertheless, everything's level and the rifle is ready to zero at the range.

Unfortunately, things didn't go so well with the Henry .22 and I hope I didn't eff up the crown. The Bushnell .22 bit didn't fit and I applied more pressure than I ended up being comfortable with after the fact. A replacement boresighter is on the way so the Henry will have to wait another day.
      Even this shall pass.

Comment

I have done the same thing. I loosened up the arbor and bent the fingers up and has worked. It does take some learning, then it will work good.
        "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

I have Bushnell Magnetic Optical that makes its way out of the drawer every now and then. Works well enough to get most rifles on paper at 200 yards, but I mainly use it as another check for scope ring alignment.
          Don't hug your press. It just wipes the grease off.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
          -Winston Churchill

Comment

Well, the .22 arbor in the replacement kit didn't work either so I have to find another solution. I really liked how easy it worked with the .308 (assuming it gets me on paper at the range) but I can't justify the expense for just one firearm. There is a magnetic version but it does not review well at all and I kinda understand that. With no way to center it to the bore I don't see how it could even get one on paper.

I really wanted a solution that would work at home before going to the range but it seems that the ubiquitous laser at the range might be the best solution.
            Even this shall pass.

Comment

The magnrmag one is what I have. It works perfectly fine so long as you follow the instructions and your scope is not too high.
              Don't hug your press. It just wipes the grease off.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
              -Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
              X