Scope Shims

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scope Shims

With my scope's elevation adjusted to max, my rifle is still shooting low (8in.) at 100m. The scope is a 6X24X44 Weaver that I took off another rifle. Should I look into shimming, or different rings?
    My son-in-law said I should move the rings forward (toward the muzzle) on the rail, but I really don't see how that would change anything.

you can use shims and I have done it before , doesn't usually take much to get a lot on the other end . I have used in the past old credit cards chopped to size , but they make actual scope shims I believe .

Comment

You could use some aluminum foil, regular or heavy duty or brass shims.
      I would go with Burris Posi-Align rings. You use a number of the inserts which can give you up to +20 MOA.
      If you move the scope forward it will affect your eye relief.
      What rifle and scope rings are you working with?
      "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

Originally posted by papajoe222 View Post
        With my scope's elevation adjusted to max, my rifle is still shooting low (8in.) at 100m. The scope is a 6X24X44 Weaver that I took off another rifle. Should I look into shimming, or different rings?
        My son-in-law said I should move the rings forward (toward the muzzle) on the rail, but I really don't see how that would change anything.
        either the scope has gone south or there is something majorly out of whack with the set up on the rifle.
        more information about your setup would really help us to help you figure this out .

what kind of rifle is it?
        what kind of rings & mounts do you have ?
        what diameter is your tube ?
        what is the height of your mounts (do you have them reversed forward on the rear and vise a versa ?)
        Salt&Light

WOODSMAN777

Comment

Burris XTR Signature ring have 0-40 moa adjustment.

Comment

woodsman777 has it - something is wrong. It is not uncommon to run across mounts that are up to 20 MOA. Put them on flipped and you are going to be way off. Having the wrong mount (like a flat bottom on a round receiver) will mess things up. 30mm tube in a 34mm ring, etc.
            Friends don't let friends shoot factory ammo.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
            -Winston Churchill

Comment

I think it's better to shim the inside of the scope ring. It depends on how much need to shim. I used homemade shims inside the ring to make adjustments.

Comment

I gotta go with woodsman777 and golong ...

Not to long ago, I had a similar problem with a brand new rifle and brand new scope. Thought about shimming, but (maybe it was here) someone said, if you need to shim, something is wrong. In my case, I ended up calling Leupold and a tech told me how to properly adjust for zero. (It was a pretty nifty trick, and I question why it's not included owners manual.)

All that said, how are you mounting the rings to the gun? Is it possible you have a 10 or 20 moa mount? If so, use a 0 moa (which was my first approach) rail and see if that fixes it. Might be worth a call to Weaver.

Comment

Working...
                X