No announcement yet.

Why so high?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But those boys gotta have a huge thermal vision night scope with Bluetooth, DVD player, internet, and a microwave oven for it to be complet.
    "Don't try to cover up a lack of training with a tool you don't understand."

John Lovell on upgrades.

Comment

This has been a fun thread to read.... I may as well add my 3 pence and comment on various things I saw over the course of the thread...

1. I have used "cheap" optics for years, because that is what I decided I could or wanted to afford... until in a weak moment when I had a good paying job, I splurged on a mid-range $300 scope - I saw the difference immediately and a few years later I stepped up to the $500 level- again noticing the difference in overall quality. You DO get what you pay for... most of the time.

I'm probably not going to pay $1000 for a scope but I did recently get a $900 5-24 PST Gen-I FFP for $650 on sale and I can say it is even better than my previous hi-dollar 4-16 HS-T. Figuring in those 1968 dollars I remember so well, I now feel I got an exceptional deal.

I still have some lower priced optics that have performed beautifully over the years... I also have Nikon Pro-Staff, Burris FullField, Tasco, Bushnell and some branded models such as S&W to compare with. My Simmons 44 Mag mounted on a DPMS Varmint bull barrel was bought in 1999 and has never had one issue. I have a Konus Pro that continually shoots well, My UTG 4-12 cost only a hundred and change but has surprised me with its reliability. I still use the $80 Tasco red dots and the $50 TruGlo reflex sights without any problems.

The things I noticed most were that the cheap scopes often broke in some way, their reticles fell out of place, the eye relief and "eye box" was narrow and unforgiving, the glass had blurry spots and went dark quickly at dusk, the adjustments on the turrets were not precise nor repeatable and often a sight-in wouldn't hold from one session to another. I don't usually have to deal with these problems with the higher priced scopes.Then there are the accidental drops off-the-bags onto-the-table they need to endure once in a while.

I have a US made Burris Signature 8-32 that I recently sent back to Burris for a checkup since the turrets had come loose- they said they hadn't made that scope in a couple Decades- but they went over it and had it back to me good as new in a week, at no charge except shipping it to them.

One comment I thought I read was was Kit indicating he has some clear scope covers- my advice is to use them only for lens protection when not shooting- the plastic tends to distort what your seeing thru the scope and will likely throw your aim off.

As far as the stock goes, a take-off standard A2 rifle stock can be had for very little money and then you can add a cheek pad to that for a stable cheek rest... be sure to get the rifle buffer & spring and maybe the buffer tube to match the rifle stock as the carbine type is different..

One of the few fun things in getting old is the right to be cranky, opinionated and colorful or eccentric. Few of us are politically correct and sometimes (often?) say things that are later considered a poor choice of words or can be taken the wrong way... yeah well just don't get your panties in a bunch over it is all I can say (but then I suppose that if I took offense to something, I would get uppity right back too- must be part of that getting old fun). The important thing is that we can work it out, let it go and get on to the next topic.

I would suggest maybe going to the local range and somehow get to know or get into a conversation with someone that has a decent mid-range scope on their AR. Then maybe they would offer to let you try it to see if you could see any benefit to spending a little more for a scope. If it looks significantly better and your groups improve then there is your answer. You could get a (good) quick detach mount and use that one scope on several rifles, saving the cost of several optic-mount combos.

well I guess I rambled more than I planned... but then I'm known for that...
      Last edited by Silvertip; 10-08-2018, 19:48.
      That's my opinion and I'm stick'n to it...
      ...till I change my mind.

Comment

Local range around here is a private club 40 miles away. My 100m bench is 30 feet from the back door. I shoot here.

Stocks on these weapons, as I mentioned before, are trying at best. Some of them are flat out disgusting to look at. Others are too "busy" with tacticool gizmos & trinkets on them. I'm good with the MFT Minimalist stock, and have another due in this week. It adds an inch in length of pull and the angle of the buttplate is far more usable.

Tried the reflex sight again yesterday. Been better off throwing rocks. Two rounds and the green dot moved way off to the right. I mean it was a mess! Its in the trashcan.

Today I mounted the Redfield Revolution 4x-12x40 scope to see if I could use it. I know it was said to be a cheap scope despite the fact that its 100% USA made and someone shelled out over 2 C notes for it... But anyway, I tried it again. After initial zeroing, went to 100m. Had 3 clustered at the top of the target. Nice, but 3" too high. Adjusted elevation and it went stupid with rounds going left and right 3"~4" either direction! Broke out the tools and pulled everything off. Put the small pop up iron back on. Flipped up the front. Then proceeded to eat the center of my paper plate target up. Right handed with the blurred eye.

So nope, no more scopes for me. In fact that Redfield and the fancy-schmancy cantilever base are somewhere out in my woods west northwest of my range. Not sure where it landed out amongst the trees after I threw it as hard as I could.

The motto around here is:
        "Scopes? We don't need no stinking scopes!"
        In fact, we don't have any more either. Ha!
        But I did try....again.
        "Don't try to cover up a lack of training with a tool you don't understand."

John Lovell on upgrades.

Comment

Working...
        X