short range deer scope???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• short range deer scope???

seems like my eastern deer hunting will be confined to small spaces, close to my truck.

So shots will be 80 yards at most...probably some 25-50 yards.

After last week hunting like this, I realize my 3.5-10x leupold isn't a good choice.

Seems the 2-7x or 1.5-4.5x or 1-4x would be what I need.

So many of the scope are now called AR or AK models and have busy jibber-jabber reticiles.

Would like a straight x-hair or a lonely post.

Any suggestions?

I have had good luck with Leupold. I like 2x7, but a lot of manufactures don't make a 2x7. Inside 100 yards a good 1-4 would work well. Everybody is making scope for AR / three gun with a reticle that is way to busy. And I wish they would stop with the illuminated reticle, they are a waste of resources 90% of the time. For hunting a duplex or basic crosshair is a better option. you need to watch the weight on some of models. a scope on a hunting rifle should not way 1.5 pounds, half that is a good weight. Optic Planet is a good website for there search function. Amazon can be cheaper option. If the scope is on a rifle that matters my choice is a Leupold. on fun guns I go cheaper sometimes.

Comment

Have you considered a straight power scope. My Leupold 6X focuses great at 25-40 yds, used it for a long time until started with variables. Or a 4X.
      "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

Field of view is my problem on the 4+ powers. lots of trees where I hunt and little time to find a deer that is even slowly walking in the stuff.

Comment

Try a red dot. I use the Aimpoint Patrol Rifle, excellent. Great field of view. You can also get a 2X magnifier.
          "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

My favorite <100 yd hunting,plinking,practice is a 1-4X20 Luepold. With a plain duplex. Mounted in as low of rings as can be had. Got a cpl of them.

Comment

Bear, I just bought an Athlon scope on a friend's advice. Their scopes run from $1200 down to just over $100. I actually bought one of the $130 3-12x40 side focus scopes for a gun that I'm working on and didn't want to invest a fortune until I address the gun's capabilities. The light drawing ability and general performance of the scope are amazing. I see that they have two 1-4X24 scopes with 30mm tubes. One is 169.99 and one is 299.99, both at Midway. The $299 scope is Side focus. As Crockett predicted, the crosshairs are a bit busy but workable. Here's a link: Be sure to watch the included video.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/29...-reticle-matte

and another:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...-reticle-matte

Graf and Son has an assortment of 1-4X24s too.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...eywords=1-4X24
              Last edited by Rockydog; 2 weeks ago.
              Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Comment

Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32
                Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x32

Both are around 150.

Leupold VX Freedome is a 1.5-4x20 if you're trying to stay very very compact like a modern AR scope, but has a duplex reticle and no funny stuff. It's around 200.

I've been looking for a compact objective bell to minimize how much I have to turn down/grind my brother's ugly-03 that's half sporterized bolt handle that he wants me to finish sporterizing.
                Last edited by Lizardkinged; 1 week ago.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertMarine View Post
                  Try a red dot. I use the Aimpoint Patrol Rifle, excellent. Great field of view. You can also get a 2X magnifier.
                  Seriously, for 100 yards and under,, THIS is possibly the best idea yet.

The Dot is usually several MOA (adjustable for size though by replacement, within limits), that becomes a problem at long range as it covers maybe 4, 6, 8 inches of target, but under 100 yards, heck, even a big honking 4MOA dot is only 2" wide at 50 yards.

For under 100 yards, I'd forgo the magnifier myself.

Comment

The Airmpoint is good up to 200 meters and possibly more. I can hit 6"-8" gongs at 200 meters easy. haven't tried any further.
                    For me one of the selling points was that Airmpoints have been battle tested and proven.
                    &quot;The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict.&quot;

&quot;American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!&quot;

&quot;And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!&quot;

Comment

Like Crocket I like my Leupold 2x7. I can acquire a target fairly fast for a scope at 2. I'm not pleased with top end eye relief but I think that's standard and I never go high anyway. Also a scout scope or a red dot site may work better and/or help you get a follow up shot faster.

Comment

I use a Nikon P223 fixed 3X, for my Henry 22. Has been a great close quarters scope. Obviously I wouldn't be using that for deer but I wouldn't have an issue putting it on a 243 either.
                        &quot;There\'s no such thing as a good gun. There\'s no such thing as a bad gun. A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys.&quot;

-Charlton Heston

Comment

Natchez Shooters supply has several Leupold lower power scopes on sale right now. Some are over 1/2 off.

https://outdoors.natchezss.com/searc...iew=grid&srt=0
                          Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Comment

If you could find an old El Paso K2.5 Weaver in good shape it would do you a good job.

Comment

Working...
                            X