Optic Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optic Advice

I'm looking at a specific optic and wonder if anyone here has this and if so could give me some honest feedback. ECLAN Spectrer

Looking to put this on a SA M1A CQB-16 SOCOM rifle.
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.

~Ronald Reagan

Some observations:

Have a small amount of trigger time with a buddy’s .308 Scar. He had a cheapo red dot on it and it handled OK. Apparently $2600 wasn’t enough so he started throwing $$ at it. A composite lower that takes M1A mags and a Elcan M145. My impression was it changed the balance negatively and it was heavy- about 1.5 pounds. The reticle was very busy for a CQB sight to me. I understand this isn’t the same sight but it is similar in dimensions.

I also have Socom ll. With a empty 20 round mag and about the smallest quality sight I could find it is 11.5 pounds. As I’m sure you know calling it a CQB weapon is laughable. Then add another 1.5 pounds of optic and a full magazine...

I have said it before. It is one of the coolest rifles out there to shoot and admire. It is also one of the heaviest, ungainly beasts to carry around.

So I don’t have the first hand knowledge of the optic you are looking at but I do have experience with the weapon. Just cutting a few oz going from an EOTech 512 to the little Zeiss Z-point made a world of difference in the carriability of the rifle. My point of this whole post is to get you to consider what adding all that weight and raising the center of gravity will do. If you are just going to shoot it off a bi-pod it won’t be an issue.
    Endeavor to persevere.

Call sign: Limp Wrist

Comment

Appreciate the feedback Deaddog. One of my concerns is about eye relief in the optic I was looking at. The other concern is if you go with a CQB sight, you limited in range you can effectively engage targets. I think a good CQB sight should fulfill the role of up close 50M shots but also allow you to shoot to 300M if need be. This is why I can't settle for just a red dot type of optic. Hence why I was looking at the Specter as it is both 1.5 x for CQB and with the throw of the lever turn into a 6x optic. Best of both worlds. Zero plans on using this as a bench rifle, I have plenty to fill that role. This is a 30 caliber SHTF weapon.
      We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.

~Ronald Reagan

Comment

I prefer something like the Primary arms offerings. They have a 1-6 and a 1-8 version of their scopes using the ACSS reticle that Trijicon just bought the rights to use from them last year.

It's not a quick flick of the lever like on the Elcan, but it's very very effective for a SHTF rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by SavageShooter View Post
          I'm looking at a specific optic and wonder if anyone here has this and if so could give me some honest feedback. ECLAN Spectrer

Looking to put this on a SA M1A CQB-16 SOCOM rifle.
          Be sure to keep it off the standard M1A - I need someone shooting iron sights at the buffalo other than me :-/
          Friends don't let friends shoot factory ammo.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
          -Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by SavageShooter View Post
            Appreciate the feedback Deaddog. One of my concerns is about eye relief in the optic I was looking at. The other concern is if you go with a CQB sight, you limited in range you can effectively engage targets. I think a good CQB sight should fulfill the role of up close 50M shots but also allow you to shoot to 300M if need be. This is why I can't settle for just a red dot type of optic. Hence why I was looking at the Specter as it is both 1.5 x for CQB and with the throw of the lever turn into a 6x optic. Best of both worlds. Zero plans on using this as a bench rifle, I have plenty to fill that role. This is a 30 caliber SHTF weapon.
            As a thought, have you considered something like an Eotech? I run the HHS (don't recall if it is a II or III) and have no problems out to 300 offhand. I have not tried anything past that, or at least not that I have ranged. Closer ranges I just flip the magnifier out of the way. It does take a bit of fiddling with to get the non-magnified vs. magnified dialed, but once you figure that out it is a solid unit. The quick releases make it a plus if you only want to run the red dot or want to switch back to iron sights.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
            -Winston Churchill

Comment

This is from some 223 mag dumps at 300, offhand using the Eotech.

Click image for larger version

Name:	magdump.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	829133

-Winston Churchill

Comment

The issue with the EOTech is that it is so high it requires a cheek riser. To be able to a magnifier you would have to mount it over the action. 3.5 moa dot is about 10”@300 yards. Silhouette targets are 18” wide. I’m not trying to sell red dots but 300 yard shots freehand on targets that size are possible with my rig.
                Endeavor to persevere.

Comment

Originally posted by deaddog View Post
                  The issue with the EOTech is that it is so high it requires a cheek riser. To be able to a magnifier you would have to mount it over the action. 3.5 moa dot is about 10”@300 yards. Silhouette targets are 18” wide. I’m not trying to sell red dots but 300 yard shots freehand on targets that size are possible with my rig.
                  Mmmmmine sits right on top of the receiver and I don't use a riser? It is actually one of the reasons that I went with it.

-Winston Churchill

Comment

Besides being too cheap, to spend that much, in the scout position, I couldn't use a sight like that. For M1A1 I'd add a front night sight, like this one https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod23137.aspx
                    Columbia Falls, MT
                    If we don’t speak out against the infringements of today, it will weaken our ability to stop the next infringements.
                    Since it took 26th Amendment to change voting age, expanding rights under 14th Amendment. Why doesn't same requirement, to restrict rights, extend to 2nd Amendment?

NRA Benefactor Life, NRA Ring of Freedom, NRA-ILA Partner in Freedom, GOA Patriot, SAF, Oath Keepers

Comment

I wasn’t willing to tear off my 512 for this demonstration so my kid’s airsoft sight that is dimensionally the same is standing in. I drew silver lines through the middle of the windows. 3/4” difference in height. No doubt everyone is built differently. In my case that 3/4” is the difference between a cheek weld and a chin weld on the stock.

Mine came with the Trjicon front sight from the factory.
                      Endeavor to persevere.

Comment

I agree, everyone is built different. Shooting style is no doubt a factor as well.

The center of my Eotech is not far above where a fixed site would sit, yet it is far lower than where a mid-line tactical scope would be. I find it rather comfortable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sight.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	829217

-Winston Churchill

Comment

Certainly on AR’s. That’s where I have mine parked now too. We were discussing their placement on M1A’s. Big difference.
                          Endeavor to persevere.

Comment

Its a CBQ SOCOM frame, not a standard stock. All good either way. Options are options.

-Winston Churchill

Comment

May be a dumb question but what the hell is a CQB?
                              Not as Lean, Not as Mean, but still a Marine!

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -- Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
                              X