Scope level?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scope level?

For a long time I've been looking at scope mounted rifle leveling devices. I've been of the opinion that controlling cant from shot to shot should make a big difference in long range accuracy. They always seemed relatively expensive for the materials involved. Lately I've seen some on E-bay that are relatively inexpensive so I thought what the heck, I'll try them.

I bought a pair of these in the swing over style to check the level of my rifle for long range P. Dog shooting. They are pretty well built for about $6.50 each. They fit either 1" or 30mm scope tubes using plastic insert bushings for the 1" tubes. Only downfall is that they are about .625 from front to back. Because of the way they are put together you need almost 1 1/2" of clearance between the scope mount and the scope bell or the scope mount and the scope turret to have room to put it on the scope. You have to slide the hinged halves apart to get them around the scope tubes. Either that, or you need to put it on the tube before you mount the scope.

Mounted on a 1" scope with standard turrets you can actually mount it in front of the turret and see the bubble over the top of the turret with the level in the closed position closed. It just takes an upward glance. With Target turrets you need to flip the bubble chamber open to the view from the side of the scope. For me it seemed to work better when I looked at it with my scope aiming eye. Bear in mind that I have not had it to the range yet.

Has anyone tried a similar device with any gain in accuracy?

Click image for larger version

Name:	scope level.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	836985
    Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Et Canis Manducare Canis Mundi

For some years now I've been using the vortex level on my Scopes not too expensive works pretty well

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/24...t-device-matte
    Salt&Light

WOODSMAN777

Comment

seems to me the cant is small, and when you remove your head to see the bubble, then return to x-hair you lost any level. seems to work it needs to be in the scope, on the sight picture.

Comment

There are scopes out there that have an internal level .
        Salt&Light

WOODSMAN777

Comment

I don't think so but there are scope rings with levels.
          "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

I've tried the cheap amazon ones and have had bubble insert, either not level or fall out, under recoil.

I use the https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-tac-30m...1-inserts.html on several rifles. Vortex one looks similar. I mount mine behind front ring and on left side, you look past side turret, with your off eye, to view it, so you don't lose position to use it. I wouldn't bother mounting one on hunting rifle, but on bench guns, they're very useful.

I set rifle's scope first (verified by shooting the box) and then add level to it.
            Columbia Falls, MT
            If we don’t speak out against the infringements of today, it will weaken our ability to stop the next infringements.
            Since it took 26th Amendment to change voting age, expanding rights under 14th Amendment. Why doesn't same requirement, to restrict rights, extend to 2nd Amendment?

NRA Benefactor Life, NRA Ring of Freedom, NRA-ILA Partner in Freedom, GOA Patriot, SAF, Oath Keepers

Comment

I have a couple of the Vortex ones. They work okay, but I don't like having to look to the side to see what is going on. I have grown fond of the levels that are built in to the rear of the MPA chassis, and Spuhr mounts. Either option is a bunch of coin, but it is a world of difference being able to see where you are with your shooting eye.
              Friends don't let friends shoot factory ammo.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
              -Winston Churchill

Comment

I use a Vortex one and like golong don't like to have to lift head and look to my left. Maybe after Breckenridge, I will move to the right side see how that works

Comment

Originally posted by BEAR View Post
                  seems to me the cant is small, and when you remove your head to see the bubble, then return to x-hair you lost any level. seems to work it needs to be in the scope, on the sight picture.
                  Agree for those top mounted bubbles. But with a side mount (like the Vortex or the bronze colored one in post #1.) there's no need to lift the head, just open the closed eye (if that's how you use a scope. Well, I do anyhow.)
                  -Remote locations are cheap insurance.
                  -There are two kinds of ships: Submarines and targets

Comment

Originally posted by DesertMarine View Post
                    I don't think so but there are scope rings with levels.
                    Pretty sure U.S. Optics out of North Carolina offer an internal bubble level as a add on option($$$) when you order one of their upper end scopes

They also sell external levels as well .

https://www.usoptics.com/
                    Salt&Light

WOODSMAN777

Comment

Originally posted by DesertMarine View Post
                      I use a Vortex one and like golong don't like to have to lift head and look to my left. Maybe after Breckenridge, I will move to the right side see how that works
                      Good luck with that! Assuming you could see it without climbing over the buttstock, I bet your bolt and/or your hand is going to become one with the level.
                      Last edited by golong; 04-20-2019, 08:29.
                      Friends don't let friends shoot factory ammo.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
                      -Winston Churchill

Comment

Would not surprise me. I like what woodsman posted on US Optics but no the price.

Comment

Guys I've never used on a rifle , but the new bow sight has one, the more I watch it the poorer I shoot, I just give up looking at it and shoot, how short range 10-40 yds. But it has not help me.
                          Mtman714; A man can do no better then to leave a good garden patch. Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Here's an interesting video on the use of scope levels in long range shooting. About 20 minutes long but worth the look. RD

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXP...NdG6kYqeYci3Wg
                            Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Et Canis Manducare Canis Mundi

Comment

Use scope levels on my long range target rifles mainly for setting up the rifle on the rest. Once the shooting starts I will glance at it every now and then, just confirm my rifle is tracking on the bags. When competing I am a runner not a picker. In a hunting situation my pea brain has all it can handle with out checking a scope level. I do level my cross hairs with a plumb bob at the range.

Comment

Working...
                              X