Old Tasco W4x32 clunker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Tasco W4x32 clunker

Over a year or more ago, a neighbor brought me several weapons from his father to clean. They were absolutely filthy! Many had scopes on them. Since he's not into scopes after getting drunk a few years back and shot a Handi- rifle in 45-70 with a stupid hot load and a close scope. The damage to his already bloodshot eye was enough to want only iron sights. He told me to keep the scopes and do whatever I want with them. There were about 6 total. Four were trashed. A Redfield Revolution 4-12 was nice in appearance, but the lenses were trashed from gritty and sweaty t-shirt tails gouged across the glass.

When my right eye turned to sh*t, I began to shoot lefthanded. I looked in the dresser drawer for a scope. I tried the Redfield. Nope. A Leaper 1.5-4_28mm. Nope, but it suits the Ruger 10-22. Then I saw a scratched and dinged Tasco 4 power economy model. Bubba didn't scour the lenses with his filthy shirt. It was most clear in fact. Plain small Duplex and excellent light gathering service. I immediately mounted it to the Anderson AM15 carbine. Holy Super Sight, Batman! Perfect! Rapid zero at 54m. 1.6" high at 100m. Perfect with that Fed. 62gr steel pointed stuff. It was amazing, as I don't really care for that round. My own 55gr BTSP with cannalure faired even better, shrinking my iron sight group by half!

Guess an old clunker glass can fool ya. A buddy came out to shoot in between the monsoons. He saw that scope of the AR. He asked "What's with the crap scope?" I smiled and returned with a group of considerable interest. He kinda shut up.....

That old beat up Tasco cheaply scope pulled it's weight and then some. One man's trash is another man's treasure indeed!
    "Don't try to cover up a lack of training with a tool you don't understand."

John Lovell on upgrades.

They sure can surprise you sometimes.
    "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

Yes sir, one look at the exterior showed this scope, and the weapon it was originally mounted on, were both scratched and dinged from being tossed in pickups and overall poorly treated. The whole family would show up at times. Shoot the crap outta the weapons. Throw em into the bed of the trunk and head to the house to drink loads of beer. They might put the weapons up, or when sober the next morning. No cases. Never cleaned. So you can understand my amazement at this scope looking rough, but yet performing perfectly. A real "Who'd have thought it?" sorta thing.

I know its not a $2,800 super scope by a big fancy company. But it does show that occasionally a budget grade glass can endure being treated like crap and still hold its own. I can't wait to see a hog out at 200m and I put the crosshairs over his vitals and squeeze.

John Lovell on upgrades.

Comment

I have that same scope. It's been on a half dozen rifles from .243 Win. to .375 Taylor which duplicate the .375 H&H in a 30-06 length magazine. The only thing wrong with it today is the flat black coating on the inside started flaking off, probably due to the recoil of that .375 Taylor. It's on one of my .308s i think. I'd have to go look.

A lot of people badmouth the Tasco scopes but I'm not one of them. They started out cheap and crappy and got better as the guy owning the company wanted to compete with the big guys with a quality product. Then due to ill health the guy sold the company and the peopled that bought Tasco raped the company for everything they could get and then liquidated.
        Paul B.

Comment

Ya know, that's usually the case. Got a good thing going. Sell. New bunch moves in. Trashes all the good stuff. That's our country today. Nobody gives a sh*t.

Now I'm going to scour the pawn shops for similar glass. I'll bet they're out there, and cheap too!

John Lovell on upgrades.

Comment

Working...
          X