Venison Breakfast sauage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venison Breakfast sauage

Now that Swamper has his grinder up and running I thought I'd contribute my venison or wild turkey breakfast sausage recipe.

Ingredients:

2.5 - 3 pounds of venison cubes

1 pound of bacon

2 Tablespoons of salt

1 Tablespoon of sage

1 1/2 teaspoons of ground dry ginger

1 teaspoon black pepper

Slice the bacon about 4 times across the slices and mix it with the cubed venison. Grind the mixture once through a coarse grind plate. Mix all of the spices and shake the mix over the ground meat. Regrind the meat with the spices mixed in. I use a finer plate for the second grind.After the second grindI hand roll into one pound "chubs" and package in zip lock bags. I partially thaw and slice into patties just before use.Do not over cook as this will dry out quickly. I also use this recipe for wild turkey, grinding breast and thigh meat with the bacon. Heavy smoked bacon is best. I actually look for fattier packages in this case. When I make big batches I'll buy a box of Carnation bacon pieces and ends. Remember this is a fresh sausage product with no cure or smoke and needs to be kept cold unlike some commercial brands.

If you like this and are really ambitious here are the 25 pound batch numbers/

18 pounds of venison cubes

7 pounds of bacon

6 1/2 Tablespoons of salt

8 Tablespoons of sage

4 Tablespoons of ground dryginger

2 Tablespoons of black pepper
    Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Coulple days short for me...My son and I ground up and stuffed 24 lbs of venison last week.
    Summer,Italian, Breakfast sausage and a couple sticks of Salami. Never used Bacon but will for the next batch.

Comment

RD that sounds like some good sausage, close to what I make. Wife turned me onto bacon for fat in sausage a few years back. I've always used pork fat/trimmings or shoulder, in anywhere between 1-1 to 3venison-1pork ratios
      Wimachtendienk, Wingolauchsik, Witahemui

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, is a fool.
      He who knows not and knows he knows not, is wise.

Comment

Great minds think alike. LOL RD
        Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Comment

I really like to make link sausage, but I haven't found a good old-fashioned german sausage recipe, preferrably using deer. You have one to share RD?

Comment

Great recipe, tried some tonight. One hind leg of the buck in my .35 Whelen/Big Game thread went into it. Well worth making.

Even Mrs. Charley liked it, and she's not a huge fan of venison.
            "The fact that guns can kill another human being is the whole point. That\'s why they are so darn good at deterring violent criminals". Ann Coulter

Comment

Charley, Glad you liked it. I've been making it for years and never get tired of it. RD

Comment

Ended up with about 4 1/2 pounds of fileted meat from the Jake I collected on Monday. Have to get the grinder up and running tonight.

Ended up with 12 one half pound packages of Turkey Breakfast Sausage after adding the bacon. All rolled in separate Ziplock sandwich size bags. I usually partially thaw in the microwave, thin slice and fry in a cast iron pan. RD
                Last edited by Rockydog; 4 weeks ago.

Comment

I can smell it now.......uuuummmmm

Comment

That sounds very close to my venison sausage recipe. bacon, spices and preparation.. sounds good.
                    Load every bullet like your life depended on it because one day it might.

Regards,
                    Shawn

Comment

Well, RD, you done did it. Now I have another one to try. I did a venison Italian sausage recipe that I love. Instead of bacon, I used unsalted pork belly. I'll have to try it with smoked bacon next.
                      "There\'s no such thing as a good gun. There\'s no such thing as a bad gun. A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys."

-Charlton Heston

Comment

Working...
                      X