Bacon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bacon

Not a hunting recipe really........... it isn't Boar, BUT..................

Last fall we bought a pig from one of Nic's teachers (they sold 5 or 6 of them).

A few weeks ago we brought him home from Mark's Meats about 20 miles away (in small parts hehehe). 212 pounds of chops, shoulder roasts, half-hams, ribs, sausage, and side meat (cut down belly)

2 weeks ago, 26 pounds (1 pound blocks) of Side Meat was put up in 1-gal. freezer bags in the spare fridge, after being rubbed down with a dry cure (salt, pink Prague salt, sugar, pepper).

As of................. an hour ago, it all went in the Master-Forge smoker, to camp out for the day around 175*F over some Hickory smoke, to finish making ...
    da-da-da-DAAAAAA......BACON!!!!!!!:Angels Chorus:
    All 5 racks are full.

The Goal Of Happiness............... 150*F.

Then we keep a few pounds out for use over the next few weeks, and freeze the rest for later.

More info later.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Workhorse.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	799890
    The Workhorse, I wonder how many more years she's got? 3rd smoker since ditching my 1st mistake 25 yrs ago. Each one a nice upgrade from the predecessor (kinda like women LMAO!!!)

Name:	Full Load 26lb.jpg
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	799891
    Could have fit a few pounds more on those top shelves,, but really she's pretty much brim full of cured almost-bacon.

I never did buy a 5th rack (it has 5 slots but only comes with 4 racks), I finally last year found a stainless grill topper exactly the right size for double-duty as a rack.

Name:	First 4 pounds.jpg
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	799892
    The first 5 pounds of Hickory Smoked salt-cured homemade BACON. :thunderous fanfare:

Let it cool to room temp, then wrap up tight, fridge overnight, then freeze for later or cook some now............ Breakfast, tomorrow......... Maybe Carbonara for dinner tomorrow....

Comment

Looks damgood
      Wimachtendienk, Wingolauchsik, Witahemui

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, is a fool.
      He who knows not and knows he knows not, is wise.

Comment

Just what my doctor didn't order but what time is dinner with biscuits and gravy?
        Good judgement comes from experience,
        and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.
        Mark Twain

Comment

Spent about 2 hrs, maybe a bit more, from the first block coming off to the last.

I was running the smoker dry (no water pan) so only the large smokewood box between the fire and the meat. The lower shelves and the back wall were warmer than higher and the door side.
          As blocks hit 150* or more, they came off, temp sensors moved to other blocks. 8 temp sensors to various meters.

After allowed to cool to room temp, bagged up to 4# per freezer bag, and into the fridge they went overnight. Most will hit the freezer tomorrow.

Really thought about Tomato Carbonara for dinner tonight,, had bacon ready.
          Didn't have Spaghetti
          Didn't have Eggs
          Didn't have Parmasean Cheese
          Didn't have Tomato paste

Well dam... stir-fried some Teriyaki-marinaded thin beef and some onion & scallions wife was going to have done yesterday and added to leftover fried rice from Valentines Dinner Out (Teppenyaki Steakhouse) and ate well.

I started with a Brinkman charcoal, after burning it up (ash pan eventually burned through) went to a Propane MasterBuilt 7-in one (grill, 1 or 2-shelf 25#/50# smoker, fryer, boiler, bare burner, whatever else it'd do (bottom of IT eventually burned through)) to this Propane MasterForge tower (replaced it's burner a couple years back).

One of these months sooner or later, will be time to do another 1/2 Ham, we wet-cure those in Grandma's old stoneware 10-gallon pickle crock. I can do 1 whole or 2 halves in there, 10 days to 2 weeks again. I have 5 half hams now, and must be 7 or 8 shoulder roasts (not whole butts) to make Pulled Pig with this year... mmmmmmmmmmmm.

Comment

Looks like next year will probably be a 24" Smoke Vault from Camp Chef.

Comment

Did my first batch last week. Kosher salt, pink salt, garlic powder, pepper and brown sugar. Smoked it over apple wood. I don't think I'll ever buy store bought again. Just put two more pork bellies in the fridge for curing. One of them, I coated in honey before applying the dry rub. Seven days from now, I'll be firing up the smoker again.
              "There\'s no such thing as a good gun. There\'s no such thing as a bad gun. A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys."

-Charlton Heston

Comment

Hi.
                Do Americans usually eat their bacon as in the above pics? We call it streaky bacon over here. We tend to eat back bacon which is the leaner part of the loin.
                That home smoked 'streaky' looks delicious. Loaded into a 'butty' with a drizzle of HP sauce

Comment

What you call "Back bacon" we call "Canadian Bacon" if you roll it in corn meal first "Peameal Bacon" "Cottage Bacon" is the Boston Butt (top half front shoulder) cured & smoked, the sliced cross the grain. We tend to like the fatty bacon, from the belly, even though both the Back and Cottage bacon is probably better for you.
                  Columbia Falls, MT
                  If we don’t speak out against the infringements of today, it will weaken our ability to stop the next infringements.
                  Since it took 26th Amendment to change voting age, expanding rights under 14th Amendment. Why doesn't same requirement, to restrict rights, extend to 2nd Amendment?

NRA Benefactor Life, NRA Ring of Freedom, NRA-ILA Partner in Freedom, GOA Patriot, SAF, Oath Keepers

Comment

Originally posted by BRIT View Post
                    Hi.
                    Do Americans usually eat their bacon as in the above pics? We call it streaky bacon over here. We tend to eat back bacon which is the leaner part of the loin.
                    That home smoked 'streaky' looks delicious. Loaded into a 'butty' with a drizzle of HP sauce
                    Hey Brit. Yes we do, but it gets cooked some more before eating, usually in a skillet for bacon and eggs.

Comment

I had to look up "butty" and "HP sauce". It all went over the head of this obtuse Yank. This whole thread gives new meaning to the term "makin bacon".
                      Endeavor to persevere.

Comment

You have never had 'HP' sauce? Your live is incomplete until you do. Essential to a 'full english' breakfast of bacon, sausage,fried egg, black pudding, fried bread, beans, tomatoes and mushroom. Plenty buttered toast and a pint of tea.
                        Probably why I am 17 stone
                        Last edited by BRIT; 1 week ago.

Comment

I think my wife would cry if they discontinued A-1 Sauce which is pretty close to your HP Sauce

Comment

Well BRIT, you are keeping me busy researching. Full English breakfast sounds like quite a meal. If you were to have asked me what black and white pudding were I would have said chocolate and vanilla not some sort of blood sausage distant relative to bacon. Then converting Stones to pounds I opened up a can of worms of old English units of measurement that boggle the mind.

Rundlet
                            Tierce
                            Hogshead
                            Hundle
                            Gill
                            Hide
                            Virgate
                            Bovate
                            Rood
                            Shaftment
                            Ell
                            Pearch

and maybe 50 others?
                            Endeavor to persevere.

Comment

Well, I know one thing, it's Saturday morning and ya'll making me damned HUNGRY.
                              We left the Range up in Washington State last month and before we departed the chanteralle mushrooms were coming in. One of our shooters brought us probably a pound and a half. Fantastic cooked up with homemade bacon and onions, then over a rare steak, darn was that good
                              "We failed, but in the good providence of God apparent failure often proves a blessing." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Working...
                              X