Cast iron skillets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cast iron skillets

Have a bunch of rusted cast iron skillets. Not to bad but sand paper isn't going to get it. I have a small sand blaster and was wondering if blasting will hurt the cast. Any ideas?.
    Never drink down stream from the herd.

Don't know about sand blasting, but white vinegar works well for removing rust and I've used a product called Evapo-Rust. It's non-toxic and rinses away with water. I think I'd try a less invasive process first.
    If it weren't for double standards, liberals would have no standards at all.

"Ammo and really good friends are hard to find in a gunfight so I bring them with me" E. J. Owens

Comment

Sand blasting cast iron won't hurt the iron very much as long as the iron is as usual fairly thick and you don't hold the nozzle in one place . A brush blast will do it. Alternatively, wire brushes work well.
      -Remote locations are cheap insurance.
      -There are two kinds of ships: Submarines and targets

Comment

i've heard that walnut shells are less abrasive than sand for blasting. not sure if that would work or not though. when mine rust, I just soak them in dawn and water for a while then use a wire brush, but that's for mild to medium rust

Comment

I have and use a lot of cast iron cookware. I wouldn't use a sandblast because it will make the surface rough and maybe/probably cause the skillet to loose it's non-stick characteristics.

I've rescued a half dozen Dutch ovens over the years plus assorted bread stick pans and skillets. The really bad ones I start by burning out, then washing, followed by a wire brush attachment on a welder's grinder. Finish with more washing, with soap, then boil it out. Dry and oil, then season like Lodge recommends. Best to fry some spuds in it for it's maiden voyage.

http://www.lodgemfg.com/use-and-care...sh-your-finish
          It's not that Democrats are so damned ignorant. Their problem is that everything they know is wrong.

Wimachtendienk, Wingolauchsik, Witahemui

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, is a fool.
          He who knows not and knows he knows not, is wise.

Comment

Originally posted by olyeller View Post
            I have and use a lot of cast iron cookware. I wouldn't use a sandblast because it will make the surface rough and maybe/probably cause the skillet to loose it's non-stick characteristics.

I've rescued a half dozen Dutch ovens over the years plus assorted bread stick pans and skillets. The really bad ones I start by burning out, then washing, followed by a wire brush attachment on a welder's grinder. Finish with more washing, with soap, then boil it out. Dry and oil, then season like Lodge recommends. Best to fry some spuds in it for it's maiden voyage.

http://www.lodgemfg.com/use-and-care...sh-your-finish
            It is possible to coarsen the finish with a coarse blast, grit size matters. And yes, walnut hulls are a good medium.. However, no matter what you do about rust, re-seasoning WILL be needed to restore anything approaching non-stick. But OlY ain't too far off with his means and methods.
            -Remote locations are cheap insurance.
            -There are two kinds of ships: Submarines and targets

Comment

Maybe of some help, half dozen ways, along with some don't. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=O6bFWVB2BRY

Safer and slower method.
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JPyUYbdS5k
              Columbia Falls, MT
              If we don’t speak out against the infringements of today, it will weaken our ability to stop the next infringements.
              Since it took 26th Amendment to change voting age, expanding rights under 14th Amendment. Why doesn't same requirement, to restrict rights, extend to 2nd Amendment?

NRA Benefactor Life, NRA Ring of Freedom, NRA-ILA Partner in Freedom, GOA Patriot, SAF, Oath Keepers

Comment

I have used muratic acid, but the best results was using a bed of hot coals and cover it up. Comes out looking new.
                I was raised in the 50\'s on jackrabbits and gunpowder.salt and pepper wooda made\'em taste better

Comment

Originally posted by wheezengeezer View Post
                  I have used muratic acid, but the best results was using a bed of hot coals and cover it up. Comes out looking new.
                  What he said, then wire brush out, wash, dry, season.
                  It's not that Democrats are so damned ignorant. Their problem is that everything they know is wrong.

Comment

Wife inherited about 800+ lbs of dutch ovens and every size skillet + PIE shaped partitioned cornbread pans.....all from a WV barn, over 75 years old....very greasy, rusty, dirty......some too large.....very old Maple rendering kettles I swear hold 20~30 gallons

She culled out the ones she wanted in her pantry and set me to refurbing......

I blasted with play sand (yes I know)
                    fired up my propane BBQ....fat bacon rub.....fat back chunks in the cast....stacked as many as would fit and burned the hell out of them
                    deliberately made a smoking black mess......
                    shut...cool....wipe...rub fat one more time, lightly.......bake for several hours......cool wipe down........nice n black....slick.....clean........wife very happy

Comment

Fredvon4 Nice! Cast iron Nirvana. I bet she is thrilled. One of the kettles would make a hell of a fish fryer.

Comment

unfortunately.....most of the serious weight went to the recycler in Weirton WV...pity too as not one of her very large family was interested in a small family fortune of cast...well cast...IRON...most foundried right there in Mingo Junction or Weirton Steele

we were there with a Legacy SuBaru station wagon....we got all she could want and carry.......In retrospect, I should have trailered/sled a LOT to the back forty of the farm and set it under a big tree to get later in life.... oh well..... I am sure some of the big kettles are no longer made

Comment

I am sure some of the big kettles are no longer made
                          That's a fact Jack. I wanna cry.....

Comment

Appreciate the info guys. Now just get far enough ahead in my yard work.
                            Never drink down stream from the herd.

Comment

As Geezer said, muriatic acid works well. Years ago a friend and I found a number of old skillets and dutch ovens around some old gold mines in the mountains of Montana. Took them home and that's how we cleaned them up. Still using them after nearly 50 years.
                              The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Menken

NRA Endowment
                              US Navy Retired

Comment

Working...
                              X