No announcement yet.

Your favorite steel for buying or making knives

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I prefer to maintain my knives rather than sharpen them. I use leather strops, loaded with various grades of fine abrasive. I don't let my knives get dull and when they get some use I use the strops to keep them at peak useful sharpness. I enjoy the work— it's almost meditative, and certainly pleasant.
    Homo sapiens, [ˈhōmō ˈsāpēənz] Noun. An advanced primate characterized by a large brain which it seldom uses.

Comment

I'm at the low end of knowledge in this conversation. I've put handles 5 sets, of 6 per set, Green River Knives for kitchen use for myself and my kids. All I know is it's carbon steel. I learned long ago that carbon steel is durable and easy to sharpen. Even my pocket knife has to be carbon steel because I want to know it's going to be sharp when I need it. I butcher whole chickens, cure my own bacon and used to butcher the pigs i hunted. These knives have served my need very well. They may not be pretty but functional is more important. Even my kids say they are far superior to the kitchen knives they got as wedding presants.
      Good judgement comes from experience,
      and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.
      Mark Twain

Comment

There was a picture on the S&W forum of a knife made from a 12" circular saw blade. Don't remember anything about it except the maker said it was a B----h cutting out the pattern. I have some broken blades from a Wood Mizer that's a "roundtoit" project for a small knife. They have to be decent steel to handle the cutting they do.
        Never drink down stream from the herd.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Cop View Post
          There was a picture on the S&W forum of a knife made from a 12" circular saw blade. Don't remember anything about it except the maker said it was a B----h cutting out the pattern. I have some broken blades from a Wood Mizer that's a "roundtoit" project for a small knife. They have to be decent steel to handle the cutting they do.
          Those bandsaw blades are high carbon steel with some possibly having some chrome alloy content. They would make a fine filet knife or a thin blade. Forge weld them together and get you some mass and I bet hey would make a good all around tough knife, if tempered correctly the teeth are hardened much harder than the body of the band. So they will get hard and scary sharp.

Comment

Saw a show where Jerry M. was watching a sword maker make a dagger. He interspaced thin sheets of silver between the layers of steel before he tack welded them and put them in the forge. It was a small segment from Jerry M,s. Shootout LN from Hollywood. Show is a little silly but sometimes some decent info comes out.
            Never drink down stream from the herd.

Comment

Automobile leaf springs will make a good knife and readily available. Old files can be used also.
              NRA Endowment member
              NRA Range Technical Team Advisor
              TSRA member
              NRA certified pistol coach-Retired
              NRA classified Master, F-Class mid-range
              Velocity is like a new car, always losing value
              BC is like diamonds, maintaining value forever

Comment

Working...
              X