Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats your favorite filet or fish processing knife in general ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats your favorite filet or fish processing knife in general ?

As in the title. Have at it. Mine is a little unusual and I'll share it later once I clean it up a little bit.

I like an electric like a Gator for pan fish filet work on fish up to about 5lbs. A good flex blade 7-9" for bigger fish like catfish over 6 or 7 #'s. A good sharp 9" will handle most anything you catch, or shoot. Great for boning out deer and hogs, too.
    Wimachtendienk, Wingolauchsik, Witahemui

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, is a fool.
    He who knows not and knows he knows not, is wise.

Comment

A bit on the slow side but here is mine ... if I have the time for a 100% bone free filet job, its my tool of choice.

Comment

I prefer boning knife over electric. I don't do much fish anymore, but used to use a thin flexible one, of reasonable length. Longer for salmon, than trout and panfish. Kids used to catch buckets of perch, never was worth trouble, using electric.
        Columbia Falls, MT
        If we don’t speak out against the infringements of today, it will weaken our ability to stop the next infringements.
        Since it took 26th Amendment to change voting age, expanding rights under 14th Amendment. Why doesn't same requirement, to restrict rights, extend to 2nd Amendment?

NRA Benefactor Life, NRA Ring of Freedom, NRA-ILA Partner in Freedom, GOA Patriot, SAF, Oath Keepers

Comment

Best fresh water eating fish there is ....in my book anyway is the perch ..... Yellow perch or whatever ya call it ...

Comment

The perch are worth the trouble filleting, it's the electric knife that's not worth the trouble. Perch and walleye are the best around here, the sockeye kokanee are better eating than the trout, bigger than skillet sized anyway. Pike and bass are good, but it's hard work, to get a mess of boneless fillets.
            Columbia Falls, MT
            If we don’t speak out against the infringements of today, it will weaken our ability to stop the next infringements.
            Since it took 26th Amendment to change voting age, expanding rights under 14th Amendment. Why doesn't same requirement, to restrict rights, extend to 2nd Amendment?

NRA Benefactor Life, NRA Ring of Freedom, NRA-ILA Partner in Freedom, GOA Patriot, SAF, Oath Keepers

Comment

Got an old wooden handle Rapala, 9" blade. Thin, flexible easy to sharpen and holds an edge. Got to be thin and flexifle to skin them out. Actually got 2 of them, about 30+ years; one for fresh and one for salt water.

Comment

I have 4 Normark (Rapala) filet knives. They sharpen up quite well. No rust after nearly 40 years. Blade has strength but flexes easy. Point is sharp enough to stick through a leather shoe when dropped, don't ask me how I know. Leather sheaths still in near perfect condition.

Comment

I think Martini made or makes the knives for Rapala The Normark are a little higher end i seem to remember.

Comment

Maybe I'm just used to catching bigger fish,but I prefer a more substantial blade for my fish cleaning chores. I use this little beauty.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0855.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	815097
                    If it weren't for double standards, liberals would have no standards at all.

"Ammo and really good friends are hard to find in a gunfight so I bring them with me" E. J. Owens

Comment

I think you just buy the frozen crap from Sams club in bulk

Comment

Well actually I have 3 that I use. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0852.JPG
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	815128

"Ammo and really good friends are hard to find in a gunfight so I bring them with me" E. J. Owens

Comment

I do like the look of the one on the left. If that was mine I would loose the finger guard though.

Comment

It was a gift from my wife. I have a Bowie knife from the same maker. The middle one is a Knives of Alaska. It gets the most use. The blade is a little bit stiffer on it but it holds a great edge. The one on the right is a Case. It was my first actual filet knife. I bought it on sale at an Ace Hardware store when I was in college for the princely sum of $5.00. It mostly gets used in the kitchen for slicing hams.

Here's the Bowie:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0119.JPG
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	815158

Comment

Inthat case you can't loose the finger guard on the fillet knife. That would spoil the "pair" look . I like the idea of jeweling the blades. It does give it something special.

Comment

Working...
                              X