Spyderco Tropen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spyderco Tropen

The Spyderco Tropen is a big knife. For a folder you might even call it a VERY big knife at 9" open. It sits well in the pocket and opens with unbelievably silky ease (on ball-bearings) either by the Spyderco trademark "eye", the flipper, of the "pants-pocket" opener. Its S30V super-steel should give great edge life and it comes literally shaving smart. More...
    Homo sapiens, [ˈhōmō ˈsāpēənz] Noun. An advanced primate characterized by a large brain which it seldom uses.

I'm not a big fan of folders, but the specs of the Tropen grabbed my attention. Particularly the lade shape which is very similar to my favorite belt knife the Bark River North Country EDC which dealt with both of my whitetails this year. The S30V steel was also a factor in my deciding to order one from KnivesShipFree which, incidently, has about the best shipping speed in the industry.

I was immediately impressed by the easy opening of the knife. I am not so fond of the gimmicky pants-pocket "auto opening" feature. The Spyderco compression lock is extremely sturdy and due to its construction the grooved lock release can serve as a kind of jimping, helped along by the deep finger choil in the handle. The blade features a flat grind and is thus unadorned with flats or ridges. or other decorative features. The grain of the steel is quite obvious and the knife is SHARP. The blade is thin enough to make a really great slicer and would be as at home in a camp kitchen as in its field dressing role. I doubt I will give up my belt knives but this one should substitute quite well. I buy knives as working tools but the Tropen should also make for an awesome SD carry. It is 9" long opened. The handle is large enough at 5" to be really useful and feels very good in the hand. Surprisingly for such a large knife it carries light and comfy in the pocket.

I haven't had it long enough to give an extended use report but I have an idea it would get passing marks in any such review.
    Homo sapiens, [ˈhōmō ˈsāpēənz] Noun. An advanced primate characterized by a large brain which it seldom uses.

Comment

That knife is a real looker. Should be an awesome deer skinning knife. The upward sweep of the tip almost reminds one of an ulu. RD
      Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Et Canis Manducare Canis Mundi

Comment

The belly of the knife was what first grabbed me. Tonight I prepped the veggies for a stir fry with it. It is an AWESOME slicer.

Comment

Working...
        X